U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM
 
160 posts, read 235,382 times
Reputation: 184

Advertisements

Elk, Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am by no means a dietician but what about blending meals (soups, etc) in a Vita-Mix type blender?

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,448,348 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
Elk, Sorry to hear of your troubles. I am by no means a dietician but what about blending meals (soups, etc) in a Vita-Mix type blender?

Mike
I asked the dietition about that very thing. She said it wouldn't help because it am no obsorbing, anything. They also discussed making me drink multiple "Ensure" type drinks, the dietition didn't think that would help either, however, they are sending me several cases. I see them again on Wednesday. See, they removed my duadnum back in June and your duadnum (don't know if that's spelled correctly) is what handles all obsorbtion. So right now we are stumped. Been eating lots of creamy soups and casseroles and they're not helping either. Ive lost 18 lbs in the last two weeks. 140 lbs since June.

One nice thing, I really like Ensure, but its expensive. Now, the VA is going to furnish all I can stand, for free. If it works, its better yet....... but what about 3 months from now when I get sick and tired of it? hahahaha. Oh well, one thing at a time.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-20-2014 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Reputation: 15493
Elk, having been where you are I can say it IS a hard thing to deal with. I hope you can find the answer to your problem soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 01:42 AM
 
Location: Dillon, Montana
586 posts, read 1,718,658 times
Reputation: 592
"Hello the Porch!" she hailed as she waded through the snow. OK, so the snow is gone. It sounded good when i wrote it!

I haven't been near the computer for about three weeks. I am very sorry to hear of your troubles Elk. I echo Griz on the prayers. I have been dealing with my own little (in comparison) crisis and am now familiar with the Billings Clinic.

I took on a horse for a training evaluation and on our first ride, she promptly went bronc on me. Naturally I came off and landed on my right rear shoulder and ribs. Just because it's an inside arena doesn't mean the ground isn't froze! After lying there gasping and moaning for a bit, someone finally came along and got me on my feet. Someone else took the horse and put her up, and I had a friend drive me to the ER for an assessment. That took about 3 hours.

The ER Doc sent me home with some hydrocodone and told me to take it easy. Monday afternoon however, I was much worse, scaring the crap out of my son, so I called my friend to take me back over to the ER. I couldn't get to his car and had him call rescue for transport. Upon arrival, it was soon discerned that not only did I have rib fractures, but a pneumothorax (deflated lung) as well. They VERY quickly sent me on a trip down the rabbit hole (said hello to Alice while I was there) and when I woke up I had a tube in my side and was waiting to be moved to a room upstairs. I spent almost/about 2 weeks in the hospital and have been home about a week now, but still very sore.

I haven't driven yet, but did walk across the street to the grocery store last night. I returned very winded and a bit dizzy, but recovered quickly. I am still very sore, but hopefully I will be completely recovered soon! Have I mentioned how sore i am? LOL In all the horse wrecks I have had, that one was probably the most painful.

I haven't been able to work for three weeks and I need to get back to it!! Oh, the horse? Yes I will be taking her on full time in the spring. She will have to go back to square one and unlearn all the nasty little tricks the so-called trainer taught her. Turned out that the $600/mo trainer was taking her to the stockyards to work cattle and completely soured her. She is now turned out, but as soon as I can get out there she needs her shoes pulled. She has a nasty case of thrush that needs treatment.

I am really struggling with the whole timeline. I know the accident happened on the first, and I know that I've been home since the 11th or 12th I think, but I cannot account for the individual days I was in the hospital, or a few days since I got home. It's very disconcerting. I was on Dilaudid and also hydrocodone I think. I ran out of the dilaudid last thursday and called in a 'script, but had no way to get it picked up. Any Codeine product makes me itch, so I haven't used it for about a week now. Would the Dilaudid have messed up my time-sense?

Overall, i was impressed with the staff on 2-North at the hospital. They took very good care of me! I go in for a checkup on Monday.

Welcome to Montana, right?

And Elk, get better ya hear! I can't imagine the porch without you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 08:09 AM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I am really struggling with the whole timeline. I know the accident happened on the first, and I know that I've been home since the 11th or 12th I think, but I cannot account for the individual days I was in the hospital, or a few days since I got home. It's very disconcerting. I was on Dilaudid and also hydrocodone I think. I ran out of the dilaudid last thursday and called in a 'script, but had no way to get it picked up. Any Codeine product makes me itch, so I haven't used it for about a week now. Would the Dilaudid have messed up my time-sense?

Overall, i was impressed with the staff on 2-North at the hospital. They took very good care of me! I go in for a checkup on Monday.

Welcome to Montana, right?

And Elk, get better ya hear! I can't imagine the porch without you!
Dilaudid is a short acting pain killer, Hydrocodone a longer acting one. Taking both at the same time could mess with your short term awareness as any sedative could, especially for the uninitiated.
Don't let the "fog" concern you, it will pass very quickly once you taper off the pain meds which should be as soon as possible with the Hydrocodone to avoid potential addiction. Dilaudid (imo) would be a better choice if you still need some pain control with less risk.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor nor a pharmacist although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times and have some experience with both pain meds discussed.
Hope you feel better soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,448,348 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Sorry to hear of the horse ordeal. Actually, the horse really had nothing to do with it, the problem is,, your dismount needs some serious work. haha. Hope you heal quickly. As jimj said, that combination of meds can do it, but the sedentary lifestyle had a lot to do with it, no purpose, nondirectional, no expectations, just laying there with nothing to look forward to, except your next meal or maybe a visit. When the doctor finally says, I'm going to let you out in there days, or I'm going to discharge you on Friday, or we're going to pulled the tubes on Tuesday... Suddenly your hospital life has goals and expectations and direction. Drugs or no drugs, you suddenly know what day it is, you have direction.

I have been on 8 hydrocodone per day, for a few years, I don't loose track of days. Never have. The meds don't even effect day to day life. I drive, feed and water horses and chickens. Last week they finally, after about 5 years of the Hydrocodone 10:s, they switched me over to 45 mg of Morphine, each hit. Took them about 6 this morning and since, have fed and watered the livestock, taken snow samples, melted them down and filled out and sent in my morning reports to NOAA in Billings. Even while in the hospital, I asked nurses what days they worked, or i checked the menu for. what special foods they had on Sunday, or I asked my kids what day they were going to drive up to Billings to visit I did this to have direction and expectations on time lines. Years ago I was in the hospital for 54 days and basically lost about 50 of those days because all I did was lay there and wait to heal.

I grew up on a farm and have worked for all the big ranches, cowboy'in. Hiland Angus Ranch, we artificially inseminated, just the heifers, not the cows. We averaged 25,000 heifers, each year. I rode for Rush Creek, 250,000 acres of Nebraska. I, by myself, rode herd on, doctored including over 100 C-sections, by myself with the heifer tied to the brush guard of the pickup, and I calved them out. The pasture I did all that in, was 9 miles from the house. Unless I had to take the truck down to do a c-section, I would saddle up in the dark and ride down to the pasture and spend all day in the saddle, and ride home in the dark. I kept 3 other horses in a pen down at the pasture. I also rode for Anderson out of Rapid City. At one time, Wayne had over 60,000 head of cattle.

I joined the Navy and because I had been riding rodeo, and doing pretty damn good (in 1972-73, I grossed over $40,000. The Navy put me on the Navy Rodeo Team. They paid my entry fees, and they paid me full perdium to travel around and represent the United States Navy. I rode Bareback, saddlebronc, and bulls. On July 4th, 1975, I was at the Camp Pendleton Stampede and for bareback I drew a horse called "Heel Duster". I was looking forward to it, it had never been rode for the full 8 seconds. When I left that day, its record was still intact. hahaha. I come out of the shute, marked. him, and we went over frontwards. He landed on top of me, essentially turning my head into a lawn dart. You talked about the arena ground being hard? I agree. Anyhow, I made both my other rides that day. When done, I jumped in my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner and drove home. Next morning, I was stiff and sore. The following day, I was really sore and could barely turn my head. The third day, my neck was locked up, so I went to see doc. Doc sent me to the tender, the tender sent me to base sick call where they xrayed my neck. Base sick call didn't tell me a thing, just told me to wait for the buss to Balboa Naval Hospital. Finally, as they were putting me in this collar thingy, then doctor explained that I had shattered, C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5 vertibrae. They put me in a horse collar that I ended up wearing for 10 months. That collar was irritating as hell in the heat. You see, u had plenty of heat, because Friday of that week, I deployed to Viet Nam for the evacuation of the Embassy and staff.

The doctor at Balboa, told me to never get on a horse again. I have followed that advice. My kids keep trying to get my stuff and some things you just don't let go, some you do. For instance, my bull rowpe, my saddlebronc rig, and my bareback rig, along with my spurs, resin bags, padds, etc... are at my son's house, he uses them. However, my 1905, Duhamel roping saddle, that I spent a million hours in, is in storage where it shall remain. Twice a year it comes out and i tear it apart, clean it with mild soap, and then liberally soak it down with neetsfoot oil. I inspect leather and stitching. If one. thread is loose, I take it down to Dooley Leather where I borrow the use of his saddle shop and equipment and I fix it myself. I don't know how many horses I've broke with that saddle, probably in the hundreds, but not one horse got me out of the leather.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Reputation: 15493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sorry to hear of the horse ordeal. Actually, the horse really had nothing to do with it, the problem is,, your dismount needs some serious work. haha. Hope you heal quickly. As jimj said, that combination of meds can do it, but the sedentary lifestyle had a lot to do with it, no purpose, nondirectional, no expectations, just laying there with nothing to look forward to, except your next meal or maybe a visit. When the doctor finally says, I'm going to let you out in there days, or I'm going to discharge you on Friday, or we're going to pulled the tubes on Tuesday... Suddenly your hospital life has goals and expectations and direction. Drugs or no drugs, you suddenly know what day it is, you have direction.

I have been on 8 hydrocodone per day, for a few years, I don't loose track of days. Never have. The meds don't even effect day to day life. I drive, feed and water horses and chickens. Last week they finally, after about 5 years of the Hydrocodone 10:s, they switched me over to 45 mg of Morphine, each hit. Took them about 6 this morning and since, have fed and watered the livestock, taken snow samples, melted them down and filled out and sent in my morning reports to NOAA in Billings. Even while in the hospital, I asked nurses what days they worked, or i checked the menu for. what special foods they had on Sunday, or I asked my kids what day they were going to drive up to Billings to visit I did this to have direction and expectations on time lines. Years ago I was in the hospital for 54 days and basically lost about 50 of those days because all I did was lay there and wait to heal.

I grew up on a farm and have worked for all the big ranches, cowboy'in. Hiland Angus Ranch, we artificially inseminated, just the heifers, not the cows. We averaged 25,000 heifers, each year. I rode for Rush Creek, 250,000 acres of Nebraska. I, by myself, rode herd on, doctored including over 100 C-sections, by myself with the heifer tied to the brush guard of the pickup, and I calved them out. The pasture I did all that in, was 9 miles from the house. Unless I had to take the truck down to do a c-section, I would saddle up in the dark and ride down to the pasture and spend all day in the saddle, and ride home in the dark. I kept 3 other horses in a pen down at the pasture. I also rode for Anderson out of Rapid City. At one time, Wayne had over 60,000 head of cattle.

I joined the Navy and because I had been riding rodeo, and doing pretty damn good (in 1972-73, I grossed over $40,000. The Navy put me on the Navy Rodeo Team. They paid my entry fees, and they paid me full perdium to travel around and represent the United States Navy. I rode Bareback, saddlebronc, and bulls. On July 4th, 1975, I was at the Camp Pendleton Stampede and for bareback I drew a horse called "Heel Duster". I was looking forward to it, it had never been rode for the full 8 seconds. When I left that day, its record was still intact. hahaha. I come out of the shute, marked. him, and we went over frontwards. He landed on top of me, essentially turning my head into a lawn dart. You talked about the arena ground being hard? I agree. Anyhow, I made both my other rides that day. When done, I jumped in my 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner and drove home. Next morning, I was stiff and sore. The following day, I was really sore and could barely turn my head. The third day, my neck was locked up, so I went to see doc. Doc sent me to the tender, the tender sent me to base sick call where they xrayed my neck. Base sick call didn't tell me a thing, just told me to wait for the buss to Balboa Naval Hospital. Finally, as they were putting me in this collar thingy, then doctor explained that I had shattered, C1, C2, C3, C4, and C5 vertibrae. They put me in a horse collar that I ended up wearing for 10 months. That collar was irritating as hell in the heat. You see, u had plenty of heat, because Friday of that week, I deployed to Viet Nam for the evacuation of the Embassy and staff.

The doctor at Balboa, told me to never get on a horse again. I have followed that advice. My kids keep trying to get my stuff and some things you just don't let go, some you do. For instance, my bull rowpe, my saddlebronc rig, and my bareback rig, along with my spurs, resin bags, padds, etc... are at my son's house, he uses them. However, my 1905, Duhamel roping saddle, that I spent a million hours in, is in storage where it shall remain. Twice a year it comes out and i tear it apart, clean it with mild soap, and then liberally soak it down with neetsfoot oil. I inspect leather and stitching. If one. thread is loose, I take it down to Dooley Leather where I borrow the use of his saddle shop and equipment and I fix it myself. I don't know how many horses I've broke with that saddle, probably in the hundreds, but not one horse got me out of the leather.
WOW! You've been a busy guy Elk! Sounds to me like you're now paying for the sins of your youth, just as I am.
Given your history I'd guess you're pretty proud that another Montana boy is now #3 bull rider in the world. Matt Triplett from Columbia Falls is the young man's name, known him since my son and he were in 3rd grade. One tough kid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,448,348 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
WOW! You've been a busy guy Elk! Sounds to me like you're now paying for the sins of your youth, just as I am.
Given your history I'd guess you're pretty proud that another Montana boy is now #3 bull rider in the world. Matt Triplett from Columbia Falls is the young man's name, known him since my son and he were in 3rd grade. One tough kid!
I keep pretty close tabs. on riding. Years ago I held a roughstock riding class and through the years saw a lot of my old students make it to the national finals. My class was held in the summer and it was two weeks long, so I'm pretty sure it didn't have much influence, but it sure was nice to see names that were familiar.

I used to work for Erv Korkow and later for Danny Sutton. Those are the two largest rodeo stock contractors in the world. Erv has furnished the stock for Cheyenne and the National Finals, more than any other contractor. Both are located down by Mobridge South Dakota. I was breaking horses for Bud Adams when old Erv saw me take a rough one, all the way to a standstill. He hired me on the spot. My job, for him, was to ride roughstock. I went to ranches and sales, all over the country. We would go out and look at stock for sale. We'd pick out a dozen or so and I'd start. riding. Of course, out of the shute. I'd buck them out and based on how they did, was whether or not Erv would buy. I thought I was the luckiest cowboy alive. In had all of the free practice I could handle. The problem was, I had to handle stock for rodeos on the weekends, so I couldn't get around to enough rodeos to gain points. I could only hit one, possibly two rodeos on a weekend. My competitors could hit 4 or 5 and even if they got all second and third place rides, and I got a couple 1st place, they got mor points for the weekend. Back then, we were all working cowboys. We wworked for a living all week and rodeo's on the weekends. There were no rodeos to hit during the week. Even County and State Fairs would have the fair all week, but the rodeos were Friday night, Saturday during the day (both short go rounds) and Sunday during the day (finals). Saturday night was always the concert and the most difficult time for the contractors. Think about it, all of the rough stock is in pens, behind the shutes. They normally set up the stage and have the Consett right in front of the shutes. So while everybody was listening or dancing, we were behind the shutes keeping the stock from busting down the pens. Except for the broken neck, I got busted up more behind the shutes than I ever did in front if the shutes. 14 busted ribs, total. Broken nose, both collar bones, left. wrist twice, right Tibia, right Fibula, and I don't know how many bones I broke and didn't go to the ER to find out. Here, drink some of this, you'll forget all about your foot being turned around backwards, hold still, I'll yank on it. SNAP! There, now its straight, drink some more of that and we'll head over to the dance.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,448,348 times
Reputation: 2147483647
To: Griz
From: ElkHunter
Subject: Rotiserri haha

Well, I rotiserred a chicken, again today. 5.86 pounds. Secured it a little better this time. Last time the wings come loose about 15 minutes before it finished,, so this time I tied them in a little better. I cooked it at 375 and when I checked it, I stopped and took. it out when it hit 180. Like. a young kid,, I measured under the arm pit. hahaha. actually, I stuck the thermometer in under the thigh, that. was the thickest part of the meat. The chicken came out perfect. Could just tear it apart and yet it was really moist. Had to use a small towel instead of a paper towel. The skin came out a lot better than last time. Last time the skin was kind of soft. This time it was flexible, but a little !more crispy. Exactly the way I like it.

Now, last time you asked about soaking it in a brine. I did, and will do so from now on. I put a couple quarts of water in a container. I put on 3 tablespoons of sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke, into the water. Put the chicken in and had to add about a cup of water to make sure the chicken was submerged. I think next time I will see if I can find a zip lock bag that is big enough. Would certainly make it nicer. I put that together last night, right after supper (6 pm). Every time I got up to do something, I shook up Tue container. Today, u did the same thing, shake it up. This after noon, ii took it out of the container and let i drip while I preheated the little oven. Before I put in the oven, I rubbed it down, inside and out. First I rubbed it down. inside and out, with coarse ground pepper. Than a little bit of sea salt, a little bit of onion salt, and a little bit of garlic salt. I didn't want to make it too salty as I wasn't sure what the results of the brine were going to produce. I actually could have used more, but you will have to play with it. Talked to my daughter this afternoon and she told me I should have first cut an orange in quarters and rubbed the bird down with that. Wish I would have talked to her earlier. hahaha

The chicken come out beautifully. As you. know, on good days I cook and then divide it up into individual meals so that on bad days, I can just heat up a meal. Right now, I have 13 containers of chicken, and 28 containers of potato medley. The potato medley has large Normandy Blend veggies, potato, and large chunks of onion, swimming in white gravy. Its all cooling so I can put the covers on and drop it in the freezer.

Each container of chicken in it so I can make 3 chicken fajitas, a very thick chicken sandwich, etc. Actually, more than I need for a meal, but Timber will pick up the slack.

By the way, ever make Taco's using the pouch of taco seasoning, like Schilling? On my hard drive (can't access it right now, with no computer) I have a recipe book put out by the College Ag Department.. In there is a recipe on how to make taco seasoning. 1 heaping Tablespoon of the powder, a cup of water, a pound of meat. You make the powder, put it in a mason jar and keep it in the fridge. So anytime you want, grab the jar. Nice thing is, you don't have too make a whole pound, just use a little bit, add a little water, a small container of the chicken, and just make enough for 3 taco'/fajita's. When I can get into my hard drive, I'll post that recipe.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,340,943 times
Reputation: 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
To: Griz
From: ElkHunter
Subject: Rotiserri haha

Well, I rotiserred a chicken, again today. 5.86 pounds. Secured it a little better this time. Last time the wings come loose about 15 minutes before it finished,, so this time I tied them in a little better. I cooked it at 375 and when I checked it, I stopped and took. it out when it hit 180. Like. a young kid,, I measured under the arm pit. hahaha. actually, I stuck the thermometer in under the thigh, that. was the thickest part of the meat. The chicken came out perfect. Could just tear it apart and yet it was really moist. Had to use a small towel instead of a paper towel. The skin came out a lot better than last time. Last time the skin was kind of soft. This time it was flexible, but a little !more crispy. Exactly the way I like it.

Now, last time you asked about soaking it in a brine. I did, and will do so from now on. I put a couple quarts of water in a container. I put on 3 tablespoons of sea salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke, into the water. Put the chicken in and had to add about a cup of water to make sure the chicken was submerged. I think next time I will see if I can find a zip lock bag that is big enough. Would certainly make it nicer. I put that together last night, right after supper (6 pm). Every time I got up to do something, I shook up Tue container. Today, u did the same thing, shake it up. This after noon, ii took it out of the container and let i drip while I preheated the little oven. Before I put in the oven, I rubbed it down, inside and out. First I rubbed it down. inside and out, with coarse ground pepper. Than a little bit of sea salt, a little bit of onion salt, and a little bit of garlic salt. I didn't want to make it too salty as I wasn't sure what the results of the brine were going to produce. I actually could have used more, but you will have to play with it. Talked to my daughter this afternoon and she told me I should have first cut an orange in quarters and rubbed the bird down with that. Wish I would have talked to her earlier. hahaha

The chicken come out beautifully. As you. know, on good days I cook and then divide it up into individual meals so that on bad days, I can just heat up a meal. Right now, I have 13 containers of chicken, and 28 containers of potato medley. The potato medley has large Normandy Blend veggies, potato, and large chunks of onion, swimming in white gravy. Its all cooling so I can put the covers on and drop it in the freezer.

Each container of chicken in it so I can make 3 chicken fajitas, a very thick chicken sandwich, etc. Actually, more than I need for a meal, but Timber will pick up the slack.

By the way, ever make Taco's using the pouch of taco seasoning, like Schilling? On my hard drive (can't access it right now, with no computer) I have a recipe book put out by the College Ag Department.. In there is a recipe on how to make taco seasoning. 1 heaping Tablespoon of the powder, a cup of water, a pound of meat. You make the powder, put it in a mason jar and keep it in the fridge. So anytime you want, grab the jar. Nice thing is, you don't have too make a whole pound, just use a little bit, add a little water, a small container of the chicken, and just make enough for 3 taco'/fajita's. When I can get into my hard drive, I'll post that recipe.
..........Hey Elk!!!....Thanks very much for the very helpful info on doing the chicken on the Rotisserie.The daughter is going to do Prime Rib Roast for Christmas Dinner....................so I thought I'd do a Rotisserie Chicken for New years. I like the idea of adding some Liquid Smoke to the brine mixture....................and I will rub the chicken inside and out with the Qrange Quarters also.....(maybe also "paint a little melted butter" allover the bird with brush i have for that type of usage---give a better surface for the seasonings to stick to. And maybe put a portion of the orange quarters in the cavatity along with some cut up garlic.
Gonna see if I can buy some "butchers Twine" from the guy that i'm picking the Prime rib up from for my daughter..................I've been told that is what a guy should use for tying stuff on to the rotisserie "spit".

We'll see how it goes.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top