Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I am so stuffed.

A couple weeks back, my year and a half old, EMERSON, microwave oven, shot craps. Hit the on button and there was a loud bzzzzzzzz and an arc lightning bolt going from the top center to bottom center. Didn't think it was very safe from that point on, so it went in the trash.

So last week, I Bought a convection toaster oven, with rotisserie. Tested it by cooking a pizza the other day. Tonight, I put a 5.56 lb whole chicken on the rotisserie. 1 hour and 15 minutes and it was done. Perfect. light brown skin, very moist, I ate too much. hahaha
......Boy am I glad you put the info into your post about the FABERWARE model for 39.95. I found it on the Walmart Website and ordered it about a week ago and it was delivered today..........shipping was included.

Do you have any "tips" or suggestions to pass on since you did the pizza and the chicken?

I'm anxious to try mine, particularly with putting a Ruffed Grouse (I have one in the freezer) on the Rotisserie.
I'm thinking of putting some small chunks of apple, onion and oranges in the body cavity (after I shake some poultry seasonng, seasoned salt & lemon-pepper into the cavity) and then wrap some strips of bacon around the outside......Comments, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I'm thinking of putting some small chunks of apple, onion and oranges in the body cavity (after I shake some poultry seasonng, seasoned salt & lemon-pepper into the cavity) and then wrap some strips of bacon around the outside......Comments, please!
Comment ... What time is dinner?

Anything goes well with bacon.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Boy am I glad you put the info into your post about the FABERWARE model for 39.95. I found it on the Walmart Website and ordered it about a week ago and it was delivered today..........shipping was included.

Do you have any "tips" or suggestions to pass on since you did the pizza and the chicken?

I'm anxious to try mine, particularly with putting a Ruffed Grouse (I have one in the freezer) on the Rotisserie.
Gandalara is spot on. I buy bacon bits, not slices. so I through a few big chunks in.

First off, the book is screwed. It said something like 35 minutes per pound on a whole chicken. Don't remember exactly. I used a thermometer and checked it twice. My 5.5 pound chicken took an hour and fifteen minutes. Beautifully done. The temps in the book are good, the times are wrong. Use a thermometer.

Ballancing the bird on the rotisserie is critical. Use string to tie the legs and wings together. Don't need to cover anything. Other than that, you have a mini oven that is quick and easy. Oh, make sure the drip pan is under the bird. I coated the drip pan with Crisco grease and come time to clean up, it was easy. Everything just washed up.

I do need to buy some some metal pans, flat, for pizzas and such. None of my current pans fit so I cooked pizza with no pan. Cruse come out a little hard, but not bad. Would have come out better with a small pan. I used a little tin foil the second time and it was better.

Unit is easy to clean up. You will be surprised at how well the full bird comes out.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Griz, have you very deep fried a turkey? I haven't tried not yet, but I am thinking about injecting the bird. I think the seasoning would be a lot better.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Griz, have you very deep fried a turkey? I haven't tried not yet, but I am thinking about injecting the bird. I think the seasoning would be a lot better.
No Elk, I don't have a Hot Oil Deep Fryer, so I've never done a turkey.

Next week I'm going to buy a large whole Chicken (about that 4 to 5 pound range)...daughter says they are called Capons. If I can find one of my old Horse Syringes, I'll mix up an injectable marinade and "shoot-up" the chicken and see how it turns out.

My daughter says I also should buy an "Eye-of-The Round Roast" (about 4 pounds or so). It should be about 3 to 4 inches in dia and approx 8 inches long I guess. She says cooked to about 140 degrees, it then is excellent for "Au Jus" sandwiches when sliced very, very thin. Rubbed with a little Bacon Grease(to get the seasonings to stick) all over and then Seasoned heavily with Garlic-Pepper, Seasoned Salt and Steak Seasoning, it should be pretty tasty.

The other thing I want to try is about (6) of those Giant (wild) Prawns (just saw some a few days ago at the Super One Grocery store). Soak those babies in a Zip Lock Bag overnight (in the Frig) in a Marinade of Lemon Juice, two Tablespoons of mashed up Garlic & some white wine.......then baste them with melted butter and Sprinkled with Papricka(sp?) just after tying them on that "spit".

Wha da ya think?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
.......................(SNIP) Oh, make sure the drip pan is under the bird. I coated the drip pan with Crisco grease and come time to clean up, it was easy.
..................What about lining the drip pan with H.D. Alum Foil for easy clean-up??

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Elk, I've done many a deep fried turkey both over a gas burner and my current electronic turkey fryer. If you need some advice let me know.

One thing no matter which way you do it and this is a critical safety thing. IT MUST BE THAWED AND DRY or you risk an oil explosion.

If you're using the gas burner method and you want to be as safe as possible shut off the flame when putting in and taking out the bird, that's how a lot of oil fires are started and houses/garages are burned to the ground.
Look up Alton Brown's (Food Network) episode on turkey frying, he's got some decent ideas.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Cooking with testosterone! Fun stuff, guys!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM

71 posts, read 72,690 times
LOL, CFF!
Don't know why, I always just imagined people hunkering down around the fireplace when it got really cold. Who knew they'd be out running around half naked in undies and boots in -15 degree weather.
But I do want one of those rotisserie ovens now. Heck, for $39 and change, why not?
Deep fat frying, not so much. Hot oil scares me. We used to go clamming at Pismo Beach way back when. Once we tried frying them up at home. While hanging around Dufus and watching him cooking, a clam sort of exploded and I got a splash of hot oil in the face.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:37 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
When I was stationed at Bremerton Washington my shipmates and I would go dig clams in the evening after work. The base was a secure area, so only Naval personnel had access and the digging was amazing! You could turn over 1/2 dozen pisser clams for each trowel full of sand.

Problem was, we were living on base and didn't have a kitchen or anything to cook them with, so we went over to the enhancement supply that would check out camping equipment etc. to the sailors for recreation.

They had a big propane cook bottom from a turkey fryer, but no pot. They did however have a huge coffeepot, so we took those and dumped in a bunch of beer in the coffeepot with the clams to cook.

Since we didn't have plates or utensiles, we bough a big chunk of butter at the BX, and cooked our clams, grabbed them out of the pot, and ran the shell along the butter to scoop it into the meat.

Yes, a lot of beer was consumed during the project, both in the pots and in the cooks, but sitting on the beach at Peugot Sound in the evening, drinking beer, burning our fingers on those delicious clams while BSing with my shipmates...

Now that is a good memory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana