Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,393 times

Advertisements

Hi.. My family and I are planning a move to Montana next year. Ive always had a calling for Montana and my husband happens to have a job that is based in Montana.. Lately he has been spending more time there than here at home. (Washington)

Hes wanting to be near Missoula, so Im looking at little towns around there. Anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions? Ive personaly never been there, so Im going on his experience and suggestions from anyone that wants to offer them.

I like small towns. Where I live now, its a small town, but growing.. to fast for my tastes. When I moved here, there was only one stop light and it blinked.. and no fast food places, malls, etc.. now there are a million and one stop lights and a WALMART!!!

Dont get me wrong.. I like convenience.. but im willing to drive a bit for it... Id rather have open spaces and land instead of a close shopping center..
Im looking forward to buying "bear proof Garbage cans"

Anyway.. if anyone wants to volunteer info that would be great...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
I feel your pain... One of my growing up towns went from 400 people to over 50K in 14 years.. I was lucky enough to have a second choice... Can't hardly recognize the other, but can pick landmarks that nobody there knows about..

I'm not so sure about using the internet to find a good hiding spot these days.. There are too many people willing to give up the good stuff, and too many selfish people watching the internet that want to eat it all like a swarm of locusts... maybe there is a better way...

Old 10-23-2010, 07:23 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horslvr123 View Post
Hi.. My family and I are planning a move to Montana next year. Ive always had a calling for Montana and my husband happens to have a job that is based in Montana.. Lately he has been spending more time there than here at home. (Washington)

Hes wanting to be near Missoula, so Im looking at little towns around there. Anyone have any ideas? Or suggestions? Ive personaly never been there, so Im going on his experience and suggestions from anyone that wants to offer them.

I like small towns. Where I live now, its a small town, but growing.. to fast for my tastes. When I moved here, there was only one stop light and it blinked.. and no fast food places, malls, etc.. now there are a million and one stop lights and a WALMART!!!

Dont get me wrong.. I like convenience.. but im willing to drive a bit for it... Id rather have open spaces and land instead of a close shopping center..
Im looking forward to buying "bear proof Garbage cans"

Anyway.. if anyone wants to volunteer info that would be great...

Thanks.

Check out the Clark Fork Valley, towns: Paradise, Plains, Thompson Falls and the Swan River Valley, towns: Seely Lake, Condon, Swan Lake.

Have some fun pokin' around, but wear orange from now 'til November 28 if you're out and about (both smart and lawful). Make sure you're carrying something defensive just in case something big and angry gets herded your way during Montana's general rifle season. If you're not inclined to firearms, no problem. Get some high grade pepper spray.

Enjoy, good luck and let us know what else you need to know, eh?

mg

Last edited by montygarlic; 10-23-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I don't know if you've seen this part of City Data, but it will give you an idea of populations and demographics of all the towns in Montana that you might be interested in. Some even have pictures.

Montana

Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Do you know why they call Washington the "Ever Green State"??? Its because of all the mold.. LOL... too much rain.. too much damp...

When I tell people that I live on a few acres, they ask what I grow... I tell them I grow Mud....LOL.....

Thanks for the info.. and the names of towns.. I will look into them... When my husband gets a few days off from driving, we are going to drive around Missoula.. I will kinda map out some of those towns to check into..

Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
If you're driving from WA, you'll probably be traveling east on I-90 through Spokane and Coeur d'Alene. Allow yourself time to stop in Wallace, ID--worth a visit if you enjoy well-preserved old towns. Once you get over the pass into MT there's not much to see other than nice trees and an occasional view until you get closer to Missoula...but then it gets spectacular! Plan on doing two major trips out of Missoula, one south on 93 and the other NW on 200. 93 will take you down through the Bitterroot Valley, and it is gorgeous. Here's a webcam:
Bitterroot Valley Real Time Images
Nice little towns, Hamilton, Stevensville, etc. There are several threads on the MT forum where the area has been highlighted. Highway 200 will take you up along the river through the Clark Fork Valley mentioned by Montygarlic. They are very different roads, and each offers wonderful scenery.
Have fun!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
Quote:
Do you know why they call Washington the "Ever Green State"??? Its because of all the mold.. LOL... too much rain.. too much damp...

When I tell people that I live on a few acres, they ask what I grow... I tell them I grow Mud....LOL.....

Thanks for the info.. and the names of towns.. I will look into them... When my husband gets a few days off from driving, we are going to drive around Missoula.. I will kinda map out some of those towns to check into..
NO, FL is the mold state. Mix oppressive heat in the mixture along with horrible humidity and the result is MOLD plus! Yes, WA is bad, but this hell hole is worse!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 AM

Sometimes I wish time would just fly by... then it would be spring and I could be looking for a new place.. but, then again.. if time flew by too fast, I would miss my daughter growing up....Ahhh... choices.....

On another note...Anyone know of any place to rent/lease a pasture for a few horses? ( In the spring) Perimeter fence needed, but we can cross fence and hotwire as needed.. In the Missoula area... Weve decided we want to be near there..We dont need enough land to sustain the horses, we will feed them daily.. as we have their entire lives...Im looking for around 3-5 acres. We have 3 horses and a donkey.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:

On another note...Anyone know of any place to rent/lease a pasture for a few horses? ( In the spring) Perimeter fence needed, but we can cross fence and hotwire as needed.. In the Missoula area... Weve decided we want to be near there..We dont need enough land to sustain the horses, we will feed them daily.. as we have their entire lives...Im looking for around 3-5 acres. We have 3 horses and a donkey.
Check out these town areas in the City-Data.com pages and in the classifieds online of the Missoulian (Daily) and the weekly papers that serve them:
Arlee, Frenchtown, Stevensville, Ravalli, Lolo.

There are other small-town, rural areas as well - check a map and then search online for other information sources.
Should be plenty of pasture available for lease - the economy has been especially tough on horses and their owners here for the past two years.

If you need to board them for a while, I would highly recommend Vrooman's which is west of the Flathead River near Polson. He's got great facilities, 1,000 acres and has been handling/training horse his whole life. His name is Mark Vrooman. Direct Mail me here at C-D if you cannot source his phone number online.

Hope this helps some.

mg

Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
My friend, who attends school in Missoula, likes the town of Lolo. I've not been there myself, but it's just south of Missoula and may be what you're looking for. The fact that they don't appear to have a town or city website says a lot. That indicates to me as some place fairly small and/or simple-minded (don't feel the need for a website). Yet, close enough to convenience (Missoula), as you said.

I browsed a bit and came up with these:
Fall Colors - Lolo/Missoula Montana - Canon Digital Photography Forums

If you type Lolo, Montana into Google or Yahoo you're bound to come up with a lot of pictures to look at, but that link is just a start.

I like looking at the various Montana pictures I saw in Yahoo search, because it reminds me of why I moved. Montana has it's appeal to some people obviously but it's definitely not for me personally.

Anyway, hope that helped and good luck with your search. Everyone deserves to live in their own perfect place. Take a chance, the grass may be greener...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana