U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times

Advertisements

Hi neighbors, this is a great article.
Great example about what is wonderful about our state.
Billings pilot lands at every public airstrip in Montana
enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 AM

4,921 posts, read 5,807,734 times
Good Story Mt-7

A friend of mine was training for his pilots license a few years ago and thought that Wilsall had the best airstrip he ever landed at because he had to buzz the runway to chase off the antelope before he could land.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM

That is what the ambulance is for over here
I was impressed at the number of strips.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,296 times
Great article! Thanks for posting it. I'd like to accomplish the same feat, but my wallet has been arguing with me when it comes to flying lately. I agree that the aviation community in Montana is fun and friendly for the most part. Good folks are everywhere you go!

Tried to rep you, but I guess I don't "spread it around" enough... So here's a heck yea!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Well thank you anyway TW

I was quite surprised at all the pilots I have met here. It has been an unexpected bonus.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Good Story Mt-7

A friend of mine was training for his pilots license a few years ago and thought that Wilsall had the best airstrip he ever landed at because he had to buzz the runway to chase off the antelope before he could land.
That's hilarious!! Tho I suppose it coulda been a bear

The article talking about eastern airspace.. ha, practically vacant. Van Nuys CA is the busiest general aviation airport in the world. If you learn to fly there, the whole rest of the world looks easy!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 AM

299 posts, read 486,570 times
Default "What was that, tower? ... I'm WHERE?" ...... "Hold one moment, tower ... let me get my map."

I know I'm not up on the whole story ... I'm kinda getting in on it late... But I'm curious how it all ended ...... Did he ever find the airstrip he was looking for?

tiberius

Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Did he ever return,
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearn'd
He may fly forever
'Cross the Big Sky Country,
He's the man who never returned.

(for the young whippersnappers who don't get the reference, Charlie on the M.T.A.)

Old 10-31-2010, 11:24 AM

299 posts, read 486,570 times
Default " If he doesn't actually stop ... can we charge him a landing fee?"

Excellent tie in, Rez.. The Kingston Trio were a great group.. They had several songs which became folk classics.. Their biggest hit, Tom Dooley, probably reached "part of Americana" status..

I wonder if the pilot's wife stood on the runways and threw him a sandwich through an open window, as his plane "came rumblin' through."

I wonder if he actually stopped at each airport, or if he just touched down and rolled a certain distance, then, without slowing down, took off again.. It would save him some gas, I expect. (If its legal, that is).

tiberius

Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
The article talking about eastern airspace.. ha, practically vacant. Van Nuys CA is the busiest general aviation airport in the world. If you learn to fly there, the whole rest of the world looks easy!
There's a really cool documentary about Van Nuys if any aviation or history buffs are interested. Google "One Six Right"..

I'd like to visit Van Nuys someday after watching it. (Although I don't think I'd like the crowed airspace out there to fly in... I got my certificate at Gallatin Field after all.. )

I did make it to the museum at the old airport in Chino, CA a few years back while visiting some family that lives out that way... Very cool place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or