Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 33,920 times

Advertisements

My family & I are planning a move to eastern Montana in mid 2008 from central Alabama. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on adjusting to the colder climates. We enjoy the winters here but are concerned about the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Depends on location and elevation. Far eastern Montana is a bit worse that areas just east of the rockies, and of coarse higher elevations make for a rougher winter.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
North and East of Billings is going to be bitter. You won't even get chinooks out there, and cold fronts are going to plow right in with only some fences in the way.

On the plus side, if you don't like snow, you won't get much out there. It's very dry. Expect about 20-25 inches per year, which is comparable to what New York City gets each winter.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 PM

40 posts, read 190,704 times
I think you just need to be prepared with some warm coats and boots, etc - I get by most of the time with a hiking type boot. Also, the days are fine because of the sun, the nights are much colder. Depending on where you live, the streets can be cleared or just left to pack down. It will definitely be a change from ALabama.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 PM

40 posts, read 190,704 times
Forgot to mention that the really different thing here with winter is that it lasts a loooong time.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I spent my first winter here last year and it was MUCH milder than I expected. We only had one snow to speak of, and the accumulation was not much, but it did stick around for a few says and looked like a winter christmas card. I am in the Bitteroot Valley area near Missoula though, and they say the mountainss surrounding us keep a lot of the bitter winter weather out. I was realieved because I have to commute 30 miles to work in Missoula each day. Hope this helps! (P.S. the summers here are hot in the day, but cool off pleasantly at night.)

Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I spent my first winter here last year and it was MUCH milder than I expected. We only had one snow to speak of, and the accumulation was not much, but it did stick around for a few says and looked like a winter christmas card. I am in the Bitteroot Valley area near Missoula though, and they say the mountainss surrounding us keep a lot of the bitter winter weather out. I was realieved because I have to commute 30 miles to work in Missoula each day. Hope this helps! (P.S. the summers here are hot in the day, but cool off pleasantly at night.)
The last couple of winters have not been "normal" by any means. It can get cold here, more in some places less in others. There is no more wonderful day than 1-2 feet of snow on the ground, 20-25 degrees and sunny.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 23,813 times
hey fellow mom. We are getting pushed out of Va. Beach as each day passes. I grew up on a 125 acre farm that has since been turned into a housing development. I'm looking to go back to the simple life and Missoula looks pretty close to our expectationtions. I was wondering about schools and weather. They say the clouds are predominate. I'm not worried about the cold or snow but I do worry about the sun. The report cards for the schools look average. What is the attitude within the schools between administrators and parents? We're coming out during christmas and new year to check things out and then two or three more times before moving. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,511 times
Interesting to note that no one is telling you about the days of below zero highs in the eastern part of the state......add a bit of wind to that weather and then you really start to have fun!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Shhhh, it's a secret.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana