U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM
 
276 posts, read 713,946 times
Reputation: 184

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Good luck selling your place. Once you do so, you'll be able to take your time to find your niche.

Lots of conservative folks in the rural areas, but plenty of other flavors as well. Being accepted only requires two things: 1) Time and 2) Being a good neighbor.

We'll see ya' when ya' get here.

And - you are welcome!


mg
I'm looking forward to it!!! I did go on the MET site. There are still some openings for educators. I don't understand why some of the positions have been advertised for several months. Could there be a shortage of teachers in some areas of the state? It's odd to me that there are positions available (they do delete them when filled) since the school year began months ago. Would some of the positions be difficult to fill in some geographic regions of the state; or, would some of the districts tend to be overly picky? Moreover, I wonder if younger teachers shun teaching in the rural areas since they tend to want more "action" in life. At any rate, I'm going to go ahead and post my application and CV on the MET site. I suppose that I have nothing to lose!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
I'm looking forward to it!!! I did go on the MET site. There are still some openings for educators. I don't understand why some of the positions have been advertised for several months. Could there be a shortage of teachers in some areas of the state? It's odd to me that there are positions available (they do delete them when filled) since the school year began months ago. Would some of the positions be difficult to fill in some geographic regions of the state; or, would some of the districts tend to be overly picky? Moreover, I wonder if younger teachers shun teaching in the rural areas since they tend to want more "action" in life. At any rate, I'm going to go ahead and post my application and CV on the MET site. I suppose that I have nothing to lose!

Thanks again!
Some areas are more difficult. The pay is really low with us ranking in at around #47 out of 50 for lowest pay. Lots of teachers left for Wyoming for better pay and benefits.
However, some of us do our job for the love of it huh? glad you are still encouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
 
276 posts, read 713,946 times
Reputation: 184
MT-7, are you also an educator? I am assuming that you are since you mentioned that "some of us do our job for love of it huh?" Well, I sure concur with that response. I just wish that I was a bit younger since I would probably have more of a chance. I cared for my mom for quite a few years after her stroke while earning another MA in education and MA in English. I just couldn't throw my mom in a nursing home. She was a wonderful mother. However, I suppose that I was employed while caring for her-a caregiver as well as a private tutor for high school and college students in English composition and research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Reputation: 3429
No but I may be married to one
No, I have just been nursing for a long time. And not for the money you know.

Props to you for helping your mom, you must be one incredible son. You know life is short and sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six.

Good luck in moving your real estate. Come on over to the porch and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 PM
 
276 posts, read 713,946 times
Reputation: 184
I guess that your location is eastern MT. I have visited all over MT from the east to the west. There are some nice places in the eastern and central parts of the state. I remember places like Roundup, Miles City, Ekalaka and other places east of Billings. Many people may not like these places, but I liked the small town atmosphere (although an outsider may not be accepted). At any rate, I just enjoyed the wide open spaces. I also enjoy rodeo (my brother in law in CA was a rider (bulls) when he was younger).

I grew up in the Washington, DC MD suburbs, but dad was in the Navy and we also lived in MA, RI, CA, VA. I lived in CA and for a short time CO. I'm just sick of crowds and feeling "trapped"; hence, I'm looking for some "room." One thing about WY and MT-there is still room to breathe! Personally, I wouldn't want to change MT. I like it just the way that it is!

If you have been in nursing, then you are aware of the difficulty in caring for a person (especially a loved one). It's also difficult for a guy to truly understand the needs of a woman. Luckily, I did have some female input via homecare and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
I guess that your location is eastern MT. I have visited all over MT from the east to the west. There are some nice places in the eastern and central parts of the state. I remember places like Roundup, Miles City, Ekalaka and other places east of Billings. Many people may not like these places, but I liked the small town atmosphere (although an outsider may not be accepted). At any rate, I just enjoyed the wide open spaces. I also enjoy rodeo (my brother in law in CA was a rider (bulls) when he was younger).

I grew up in the Washington, DC MD suburbs, but dad was in the Navy and we also lived in MA, RI, CA, VA. I lived in CA and for a short time CO. I'm just sick of crowds and feeling "trapped"; hence, I'm looking for some "room." One thing about WY and MT-there is still room to breathe! Personally, I wouldn't want to change MT. I like it just the way that it is!

If you have been in nursing, then you are aware of the difficulty in caring for a person (especially a loved one). It's also difficult for a guy to truly understand the needs of a woman. Luckily, I did have some female input via homecare and friends.
Prices are lower in the east so your money will go further. Also the hunting is grand, rodeo is a big deal out here also. You might find a teaching position in one of the small communities but be aware that they are consolidating schools so ask about that if you interview. If the energy development continues then money should follow. The communities above hyway 2 (the hi-line) have ports to Canada and have been having new positions for patrol to fill and these bring families and children into the schools.
The Montana Hi-Line : Photographs, Information and Guide
good luck and keep posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:30 AM
 
276 posts, read 713,946 times
Reputation: 184
The more I think about it, the more I want to be in MT. What the hay! I'll sub if I have to do so. I can make it since I am alone. Of course, they could consider me to be over educated. I'm still waiting on a buyer for this place, and my patience is wearing thin especially when people fail to show up for an appointment. What ever happened to common courtesy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: NW Montana
451 posts, read 846,508 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
The more I think about it, the more I want to be in MT. What the hay! I'll sub if I have to do so. I can make it since I am alone. Of course, they could consider me to be over educated. I'm still waiting on a buyer for this place, and my patience is wearing thin especially when people fail to show up for an appointment. What ever happened to common courtesy?
I wouldn't worry too much about the "over-educated" angle. Where openings exist for either substitutes or full-time teachers, the schools are often happy to get qualified people who are willing to fill the position.

As for "common" courtesy's disappearing: It went the way of "common" sense - both have become quite uncommon.

mg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Reputation: 3429
I have sympathy for you, we moved out of Oregon a year or so before it started going south. Sold our house in three weeks, cannot imagine ever doing that again.
Lots of folks sub who are not teachers
In your corner is your availability! Use that as a good point.
Can you take a loss on your property? I can only imagine prices here will continue to rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
 
276 posts, read 713,946 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the "over-educated" angle. Where openings exist for either substitutes or full-time teachers, the schools are often happy to get qualified people who are willing to fill the position.

As for "common" courtesy's disappearing: It went the way of "common" sense - both have become quite uncommon.

mg
AMEN, my friend! I guess that I just try to afford respect to all people. Indeed, it is just plain old common sense. I was brought up in that way of thinking.

Your statement concerning my educational status has helped put me at ease. I am definitely going to attempt to secure a position in MT. I want to relocate so much that I can "taste it." I hate it here (hence the name).

Obviously, I can't change my age or my qualifications. I just wish they had reciprocity with other states; however, I do have two active licenses in KY and CA in English/Social Sciences/Government which may be of some assistance in the overall process. I am also able to teach speech (and probably Spanish since I have functional conversational and writing ability although I am not credentialed in the subject). We shall see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top