Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,019 times

Advertisements

im gonna guess that the western part is more like the PNW, and eastern Montana more like the dakotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
im gonna guess that the western part is more like the PNW, and eastern Montana more like the dakotas.
That would be true but there is the elevation difference if we are talking climate

Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Did you forget Idaho? You know, that stuff in-between Montana and Washington? Western Montana has a lot more in common with North Idaho than with any of the other states mentioned. IMHO. I see very little of PNW in Western Montana. As a matter of fact, I see little of PNW in Eastern WA! And the climate in WMT is nothing like Western WA/Oregon. Also, include Wyoming in your comparison.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,509 times
In terms of people, culture, and geography, here's my opinion:

Most of Western MT is comparable to N. Idaho and E. Washington. Missoula would be the exception, which is more comparable to Western Oregon (more so in culture than weather, however, it can be gloomy for months on end).

Central Montana reminds me of a cross between Central Oregon, Southeast Idaho, and Western Wyoming.

Eastern Montana is comparable to the Dakotas and Eastern Wyoming.

These are very broad generalities, of course.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
It depends where you are. West of the divide is more like the Pacific Northwest and east of Billings is more like the Dakotas. Southwest Montana is a hybrid o the two.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,936 times
Montana is pretty unique.. Mountains, Plains, Farmland, Ranchland... It's kindof like a mix of Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Dakotas, and Kansas... Except colder during the winter, (except for N Dakota now that place has some extreme winter... brrrr!)

That said it's not exactly like any of those areas, but kindof an entity of it's own, and absolutely wonderful. It takes a special person to make it here, and if you are considering it, be prepared to put in your time to get settled. I know.. I grew up part time here, and part time in Colorado. I did 3 tours in the Army, and later took a job in the big city for 3 years and came back because money wasn't as important as the love for my homeland. For the right person it's a great place, but at the same time it can be very hard for a well intentioned Urbanite that's looking for a change of pace. Most times when an Urbanite (not that there is anything wrong with that) comes out here they are overwhelmed with things and try to hire out a lot of household chores.. and there is a market for that (that's great for the rich), but a working person looking for a change might get a bit of culture-shock at the beginning.. Loads of them come and go, but truth be told, if you are an honest, good person, you won't find a better community to live in, and you will find good neighbors and friends that are top notch.. I love the helpful, thoughtful attitude that still exists here.. and I hope as more and more come out here that that kind of mindset stays alive... Lots have changed here, and not all for the better, however there is a fight to keep the good going, and I've seen the Californians come in and try to make a selfish impact, but lately I've seen more of them leaving for greener pastures, and even some that have adapted and gained a better view and have started to actually help out. A good thing!

Good luck.. Follow your gut and do what's right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana