U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:14 PM

38 posts, read 139,422 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I have finally made the decision to move to Montana. Our plan is to rent at first and then settle on a place near jobs and where we can afford a house. We absolutely cannot afford a house where we live now and will never be able to( Southern Orange County). We don't need to make a ton of money, and don't need a fancy house, just some room to breathe.

I like the Hamilton area, as it's so beautiful and I have family there. My husband is thinking about Butte, based soley on what he's seen online. We've never been there. Does anyone have an opinion on that area? My husband wants to be able to ride his dirtbike without being hassled. Is the Butte area (or any part of Montana) a good place to ride? Within the law of course. He's not looking to tear up the countryside.

Housing prices are definitely better in the Butte area, but that could mean the economy is not so great. Although I've heard the area is getting back on track after the super fund ordeal. It definitely doesn't look as pretty as the Ravalli valley, but hey, I live in a condo in Orange County so I'm not going to be too picky.

Any insider info. on Butte would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,494 times
I lived in Montana for many years. I lived in Bozeman but worked in Butte a few times and have been through many times. Personally I'd say anywhere in Montana is better the OC (I lived in Irvine for over a year). But I highly reccommend visiting Butte before you commit to moving there. Many people I know dislike it. Butte is basically a mining town and alot of the land was damaged by tailings (they've come along way to cleaning this up though). It's not a lush area like Bozeman or the Bitteroot valley, a little dryer climate. It's not flat either though like some of the eastern cities. It has a strong Irish heritage and it's ST Patrick day parades are famous in Montana.

Unfortunately the econmony is not so great anywhere in Montana that I know of. Pay is bad and housing costs are relatively high. Jobs can be hard to find.

Anywhere in Montana should have some access to off-road motorcycles. Just consult the forest service for trail allowances. Some allow motorized vehicles some don't.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:29 PM

Billysdaddy-

Thank you so much for your reply. We're hoping to make a trip up there this September and will definitely check out Butte. Did you enjoy living in Bozeman?

Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,521,276 times
Default Butte

As having just returned from 2 weeks up there (we have 20 acres south of Anaconda). I can tell you Butte is in the rolling plains area with several ups and downs. He is correct that Butte is a old mining town and everything is built on mine tailings.
ARCO is working hard with the EPA to do the remidiation as required in our area.
The people in Butte are very friendly and help out if required. The grocery stores are smaller than what we find here in Arizona, the super walmart is geared to the area needs.
I get spoiled with having a home depot or Lowes around if I require something. In Butte there is a couple of great lumber yards but nobody has everything, have to research drive and locate what you require.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 PM

Thanks, rambrush.

It's actually the small town type atmosphere that we're looking for. If I never see another Starbucks it will be too soon

Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,521,276 times
Default starbucks

yep you won't find one in the safeways in Butte, but the good thing is there are plenty of little coffee shops serving great coffee in the service station and mall parking lots.
They usually have treats for your dogs and you drive up to the window and tell them what you require.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,494 times
Bozeman is wonderful. Housing is more expensive then most of Montana for that and other reasons. My goal is to move back there after I finish my degree. It's not far from Butte and I would advise checking it out if you are there anyways. I'll warn you though most people that go never want to leave.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM

78 posts, read 695,938 times
Default Butte vs. Bozeman

Bozeman is definitely significantly more expensive than Butte is, and Bozeman has its share of Starbucks, Home Depots, etc.

If Butte doesn't have any Starbucks yet, I imagine it will soon, as Helena (hour away, about same population) has Starbucks, Home Depots; is building a Lowes and Costco, etc.

Bozeman also is going through a population boom. Everytime I drive west of the city, I see new homes and subdivisions going in, and that's only in one direction.

Butte, on the other hand, still is a relatively small city. Its economy is picking up some, and the city is working to attract people and businesses.

One should check out any region before moving there. Some people love Butte, some don't. Some people love Bozeman, some don't. And so on. It depends what you're looking for, what's right for YOU.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your input MTer. I cannot wait to make the move, wherever we end up

Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 202,090 times
Default Butte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb36
Hi, my husband and I have finally made the decision to move to Montana. Our plan is to rent at first and then settle on a place near jobs and where we can afford a house. We absolutely cannot afford a house where we live now and will never be able to( Southern Orange County). We don't need to make a ton of money, and don't need a fancy house, just some room to breathe.

I like the Hamilton area, as it's so beautiful and I have family there. My husband is thinking about Butte, based soley on what he's seen online. We've never been there. Does anyone have an opinion on that area? My husband wants to be able to ride his dirtbike without being hassled. Is the Butte area (or any part of Montana) a good place to ride? Within the law of course. He's not looking to tear up the countryside.

Housing prices are definitely better in the Butte area, but that could mean the economy is not so great. Although I've heard the area is getting back on track after the super fund ordeal. It definitely doesn't look as pretty as the Ravalli valley, but hey, I live in a condo in Orange County so I'm not going to be too picky.

Any insider info. on Butte would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Butte is coming up a little. It's a small town with veyr affordable housing. It's not much for beauty, but it is cheap. as far as dirt bike riding, i am sure there are places to ride, but keep in mind that you should not invade in hunting spots. the sounds of bikes and frequency of riders could comletly alter the wildlife and there home range.
Another thing to consider, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers etc...usually cannot be used during the hottest of months because there is such a high risk for wildfires starting.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana