Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Gun Owners of America came out with an endorsement today for Steve Daines over Jon Tester. Article is here:

Campaign 2012: GOA Has Already Endorsed the First Candidate - Gun Owners Of America

One item that is particularly relevant to Montana ranchers and hunters:
Senator Tester voted for Obama-appointed "regulatory Czar" Cass Sunstein, who believes hunting is outdated and should be stopped and that animals should have legal representation against humans in court.
This is not an exaggeration; Sunstein has written reams of legal treatises on the subject, and has gotten some of his principles entered into "animal law" courses at major universities. Under Sunstein's concepts, a cow could sue a rancher for sending it to the slaughterhouse, and a deer could sue a hunter for not getting a clean kill on the first shot.

Anyway, I wanted to know what Montanans think about this upcoming Senate contest, and if anyone has specific information or opinions to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Default That sure made my choice easy.

I will remember this post when doing my duty comes along in 2012.
Thank you Reziac.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 PM

<bowing> He sounds like a good option to me. But I don't know enough about either candidate to have a really solid opinion, so am interested in what others here think. However, the GOA info/endorsement is rather telling all by itself.

I think it's good that there's a challenger regardless -- when they have competition it makes them more inclined to step up and speak to/listen to us, rather than just assuming we'll love them same as always.

(BTW I asked GOA about reprinting the article, and they replied that their stuff can be freely reproduced so long as they get credit and a link.)

Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Animals having legal rights against humans?? I sure hope they don't look in my freezer.

Might need to have old Cass out to the house for a meal... But even then, a liberal lawyer might get turned into a Montana moderate after eating a meatloaf at our table.. Maybe that's the trick to fixing politics in America???

Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM

I doubt you'd get ol' Cass to try your meatloaf; he's a vegetarian.

Sunstein is an out-and-out fruitcake. A couple quick overviews of his beliefs and history:

Obama czar pick: 'Raving animal rights nut'
STOPSUNSTEIN.COM
Obama confidant's spine-chilling proposal - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
(He also believes in a variety of conspiracy theories, which is odd since he's in favour of banning all discussion or belief in such things.)

Support for Sunstein amounts to actively working AGAINST Montana ranchers and hunters, both their ability to make a living and their personal rights.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
I know Steve Daines and believe he would be an excellent Senator. Unfortunately, there are others contemplating a run in the Republican 2012 Primary that will muddy the waters, including Denny Rehberg.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
I know Steve Daines and believe he would be an excellent Senator. Unfortunately, there are others contemplating a run in the Republican 2012 Primary that will muddy the waters, including Denny Rehberg.
If Rehberg runs for Senate, is there any real reason Daines shouldn't then run for Rehberg's House seat instead?

That brings up another question, do we want to keep Rehberg in office? I haven't followed him enough to have an opinion, but here's his statements on the issues: Congressman Denny Rehberg : Issues
Seems reasonable enough from that perspective.

Occurs to me we'd probably be better off with both of them, than with some of the, uh, alternatives

Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I have never had any use for Tester, but it appears he is a quick learner at the feet of the past master of doublespeak, Max Baccus.

He votes for a rabid anti hunter, while at the same time....

Tester to chair Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus

Read the comments posted by readers, it will really give you a sense of what people think of him.

To be honest, I believe this appointment is just to counter the articles Reziac spoke about, to obfuscate the issue so he can get re-elected.

At this point, given tester's support of an agenda that I don't believe many Montanan's agree with, his refusal to hold public meetings durint the health care debacle, his close association with the wilderness and eviro-wacko agenda, I really think his approval outside of Missola, Great Falls, Helena and Butte are really limited.

Unless something drastically changes in the next 2 years, tester will be hopefully a one term senator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: