U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:29 PM

478 posts, read 1,691,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogwest View Post
So where are you in MD? Did you see my message above?
I am in Howard County, Columbia to be exact. I saw your message...seems as if a lot of us here in MD are looking to escape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,723,678 times
Default Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to recent reports, Benefis Hospital is now larger than Malmstrom Air Force base.
I wonder how this would be if you compared the total workers (employees + contractors + temps) for the Hospital and the AFB who would come out ahead.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 PM

662 posts, read 937,234 times
hairmetal4ever: Your analysis of the cities ispretty good. One thing you need to consider is weather. I think that the cold is overemphasized somwhat (although I don't like it). That said, Billings definitely has the least cold. GF is very windy which can be very bitter. Missoula is called the "Garden City" in Montana. It gets an early spring and is very nice. Misssoula and Bozeman are university towns, which always adds a lot.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:28 AM

276 posts, read 713,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
I am in Howard County, Columbia to be exact. I saw your message...seems as if a lot of us here in MD are looking to escape!
You're close to my buddy in Howard County. Yep, that place is as impacted as PG or Montgomery Counties. Frederick was fairly nice at one time, but the population has continued to move up I 270. Even WV is crowded now. Good luck to all that are fed up with urban areas. Personally, I'll take any place in MT especially a very rural area!!!
Good luck my friends!!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
I did some google street view searches around Billings. I have to say, while Billings seems to be the "less pretty" of Montana cities, I actually think it's a rather clean, pleasant place, and the rimrocks are pretty cool.
Go look up Redhead's posts for some different views of Billings -- you can really see a love for the area in those pictures

Old 11-28-2010, 03:54 PM

478 posts, read 1,691,944 times
Billings looks nice to me. Although, the more I learn about Couer D'Alene, ID, I like it a lot too.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM

350 posts, read 648,898 times
Billings as a city isn't as aesthetically pleasing as some of the others, but it's surroundings are great -- good access to lots of great recreational opportunities and beautiful landscapes. Politically, it runs in all directions but probably ends up somewhere on the Right. Could be a good fit, although geographically you'd be a bit isolated (although you're pretty much isolated everywhere in MT).

Job-wise, Montana's just tough all around. Missoula has less corporate availability, but does have a high concentration of banks and other financial offices. That, paired with your personal preferences, might make it a good fit if you lived down in the Bitteroot Valley and didn't mind commuting a short distance to town. Or you could drive in from Clinton or one of the other eastern burghs.

If you can find work in Helena, that might be a good spot for you guys. Great historic town in a beautiful spot.

I'd suggest visiting and finding out what your preferences are. Fly to Billings, drive to Missoula and fly from there back to Maryland.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,942 times
Check out the Helena area. We live outside of a little town called Townsend. Takes about 40-45 minutes to get to Helena and about 90 minutes to get to Bozeman. You have small community living, yet close enough to airports, hospitals, Costco's, etc. Canyon Ferry Lake here is the third largest lake in MT and we have numerous rivers and streams for fishing. Plenty of elk, deer, & antelope if you're into hunting. Be sure to check out the information provided on this city-data website for weather, crime, & voting preferences - may give you a clue as to where the more conservative areas are.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM

85 posts, read 150,371 times
Missoula is the farking bank/credit union capital of this state, weve got more banks then we know what to do with so I'd be surprised if you couldn't find work in that area unless you really can't stand, liberals, hippies or just plain wierd people. As the bumper sticker says "Keep Missoula Weird" and boy, does it ever. You could live down in the Bitterroot with the more conservative folks but then your gonna become one of those damn awful bitterroot drivers which we Missoulians hate. If you want constant stable weather, avoid Missoula completely, it doesn't exit.

Bigfork, Whitefish, Columbia Falls areas are filled with more conservative folks but good luck trying to find a job up there in retiree central.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 AM

6,926 posts, read 5,686,512 times
Be patient with your wife.....my husband is also trying to move me out of state....I've lived here all my life......grown children and grandchildren....it's all I know.

I might come around, she might too.....sounds like a great place to live!!!

Good Luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or