Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 11,856 times

Advertisements

What it's like living in Montana?

I have been living here for 10 years, moved out from NJ and ME. It's a very beautiful sate, the scenery is very breathtaking on the western part of the state, but after that very little is going for it. For the non-outdoor type life gets very boring very fast. There is very little of anything going on here, life is very slow laid back and having the general attitude of "Yup, I don't care" that's good and bad in it self. Unless you live in one of the 4/5 town All 100K or less you have to drive about 100 miles or more to get to anything that looks like a city with stores like home depot best buy target pets mart ect. Also, the medical care is very lack luster, once again unless your in the big towns you have bad health care even then it's still questionable. The weather sucks big time, It's cloudy overcast and morbid 7/8 months out of the year, with lots of snow and bitterly cold days. singles digits above and below zero. The job market......... Humm did I hear the word job? What's that? never heard of that one around these parts .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM

836 posts, read 1,489,931 times
^"There is very little of anything going on here..."

Wow, haven't you been reading the thread? Rickers has turkeys, Mt-7 has cattle, what else could you possibly want??

Winter does suck though, will definitely give you that one.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:35 PM

451 posts, read 996,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm5150pc View Post
What it's like living in Montana?

I have been living here for 10 years, moved out from NJ and ME. It's a very beautiful sate, the scenery is very breathtaking on the western part of the state, but after that very little is going for it. For the non-outdoor type life gets very boring very fast. There is very little of anything going on here, life is very slow laid back and having the general attitude of "Yup, I don't care" that's good and bad in it self. Unless you live in one of the 4/5 town All 100K or less you have to drive about 100 miles or more to get to anything that looks like a city with stores like home depot best buy target pets mart ect. Also, the medical care is very lack luster, once again unless your in the big towns you have bad health care even then it's still questionable. The weather sucks big time, It's cloudy overcast and morbid 7/8 months out of the year, with lots of snow and bitterly cold days. singles digits above and below zero. The job market......... Humm did I hear the word job? What's that? never heard of that one around these parts .
Sounds like you'll be heading 'back East': "very little going for it; boring; little of anything going on; medical care is lack luster; weather sucks; morbid 7/8 months our of the year."

Question for ya, ibm5150pc: Why are you still here, are you a masochist?

mg

Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,028,397 times
Default We like it here. ~♥~

I like all the seasons in Montana, even winter. I do like the other seasons too but only because the photo ops are everywhere and in the starkness of winter, the photo subjects are fewer.
Jobs seem to be the issue for most folks considering Montana. Oh well. Make your own job here, bring one with you or stay where you are. I have seen this state chew up and spit folks out right back where they came from so many times.
We are used to roughing it so we seemed to have taken root. We like it here. ~♥~

Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,210,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The tire place in our town doesn't know us from Adam and they are putting new tires on her car right now as I am writing this.
We get to pay half in a few days and they will wait until Jan 1st for the other half. Where else ?

We will make it worth their while when we can. Another business just did us a big favor too and they don't know us from Adam either. Nicest folks in the world are in these small towns.
They pay it forward and have been that way since way before that movie came out. ~♥~
Just please remember to pay them. The fastest way for locals to not like non-locals is to get stiffed on a business transaction.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM

19,619 posts, read 22,502,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Sounds like you'll be heading 'back East': "very little going for it; boring; little of anything going on; medical care is lack luster; weather sucks; morbid 7/8 months our of the year."

Question for ya, ibm5150pc: Why are you still here, are you a masochist?

mg
Ya.. We moved to be a) closer to family b) stay in a rural state (not Denver, which was a transfer option for me) c) enjoy the outdoors d) get away from the humid, stifling summer of the East. e) the list goes on..

We're getting snowshoes for everybody and we'll be loading up our packs and hiking on the weekends. Or skiing. Or camping. Or maybe staying home and playing some board games.

Life is what you make of it. If'n you ain't happy, go find your happy place!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM

276 posts, read 791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Ya.. We moved to be a) closer to family b) stay in a rural state (not Denver, which was a transfer option for me) c) enjoy the outdoors d) get away from the humid, stifling summer of the East. e) the list goes on..

We're getting snowshoes for everybody and we'll be loading up our packs and hiking on the weekends. Or skiing. Or camping. Or maybe staying home and playing some board games.

Life is what you make of it. If'n you ain't happy, go find your happy place!
Well, based upon your multiple choice listing, I'll choose b,c,d and e. The only reason I didn't pick a is because I only have a friend in MT. I'm with you! I'm sold!! I should score an A- on this test since I was able to concur with 4 out of 5!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,841,977 times
Rickers I just wondered about your use of the "boy howdy" comment in your earlier post.

. . ."Boy howdy is that ever right and my story below is the proof.". . .

I grew up in a rural community in Eastern Colorado in the 50's and 60's and boy howdy was used a lot. I have lived in Lincoln, Nebraska for over forty years now and unless I am talking to someone in their fifties or older that grew up in the Western end of the sate I very seldom hear that phrase.

I worked in our State Penitentiary for several years. I used the term "boy howdy" in a conversation with one of the Black inmates and he filed a grievance LOL. I have never heard the term used as an insult. I wonder where it is in common usage. Anyone?

GL2

Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

10 posts, read 61,100 times
Default Home and free

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast237 View Post
It seems that the rest of the US never hears anything about Montana. Is it just all small town people?
Well right now it has been snowing for a few days and yet temps are good. Mostly the people here are aware of their s rights and happy to stand on them. They are pretty self sufficient yet their for their neighbors. We don't get our heads turned because of someones fame. Even our cats are tough.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 AM

8,086 posts, read 15,112,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
[nifty Senior Citizen of the Year photo]
I'm not sure if that refers to the vehicle or the occupant or both and I'm fairly sure that's frost in the occupant's hair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana