U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,964,101 times

Advertisements

Move to Alberta instead. Yup, Canada.

I've just gotten back from a vacation in Banff, and I must say that Banff is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Lake Louise especially. Think Glacier Park on steroids. The mountains are HUGE! I've seen the Swiss and Italian Alps, and the Canadian Rockies are better.

Plus, the town of Banff itself is so froo-froo it makes Missoula look quaint. You have a Starbucks on every corner and wealthy businessmen and politicians walking down the street. And ethnically, you hear literally dozens of different languages as you walk down the street - like New York! I chuckled at the two guys in cowboy hats talking in French... only in Alberta! Banff makes San Francisco look like Mississippi.

And if that's not enough, Alberta is home to Calgary, population 1 million. More people in Calgary than the entire state of Montana. So you have your shopping and big box stores and so forth. But most importantly, you have a booming and sustainable economy - something that most areas of Montana cannot lay claim to. Are you a high paid executive or computer programmer? No problem! Calgary has the job you're looking for at an amazing salary.

For someone coming from California, Alberta just makes so much more sense.... Perhaps most importantly, you don't have to irritate the locals by changing the local culture to suit your own. I think it's a win-win, and I'm fairly neutral on the whole Californians-moving-to-Montana phenomenon. Montana's a great state, don't get me wrong; I just think many out-of-staters coming in would be happier in nearby Canada. Call me a Canada fanboy if you must
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 25,424 times
Well, that'll keep the California to MT 'hunters' at bay!

I should have posted something like that years ago in the Cali papers, it might have saved my pick-up from taking a couple of rounds south of Florence. Cali elk hunter thought my orange pickup was an elk...
Boom Boom
2x 7 mike mike rounds through doors and blew out both door windows.

You're pretty safe though, a good percentage of the Cali exodus are headed to Arizona at this time...

Old 07-17-2007, 07:05 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,902,635 times
Hey I'm from California. I've been in Montana for over 10 years. You couldn't pay me to live in frigging Canada or Arizona. Most people who move to Mt. aren't from California anyway. I don't give a flying rats patootie where anyone is from . What difference does it make ? At least people from California can read and write !

Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 7,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Move to Alberta instead. Yup, Canada.

I've just gotten back from a vacation in Banff, and I must say that Banff is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Lake Louise especially. Think Glacier Park on steroids. The mountains are HUGE! I've seen the Swiss and Italian Alps, and the Canadian Rockies are better.

Plus, the town of Banff itself is so froo-froo it makes Missoula look quaint. You have a Starbucks on every corner and wealthy businessmen and politicians walking down the street. And ethnically, you hear literally dozens of different languages as you walk down the street - like New York! I chuckled at the two guys in cowboy hats talking in French... only in Alberta! Banff makes San Francisco look like Mississippi.

And if that's not enough, Alberta is home to Calgary, population 1 million. More people in Calgary than the entire state of Montana. So you have your shopping and big box stores and so forth. But most importantly, you have a booming and sustainable economy - something that most areas of Montana cannot lay claim to. Are you a high paid executive or computer programmer? No problem! Calgary has the job you're looking for at an amazing salary.

For someone coming from California, Alberta just makes so much more sense.... Perhaps most importantly, you don't have to irritate the locals by changing the local culture to suit your own. I think it's a win-win, and I'm fairly neutral on the whole Californians-moving-to-Montana phenomenon. Montana's a great state, don't get me wrong; I just think many out-of-staters coming in would be happier in nearby Canada. Call me a Canada fanboy if you must

Well, I guess that's fine if you want to be a Canuck! Nothing wrong with that, I lived in BC for 24 years but finally decided that an American belongs in America!

As to the "California problem" I am in the middle of the road. I was born and lived in shasta county until 10 yrs of age when my Dad decided that the construction boom and great moose hunting around Prince George was where we needed to live! This was in 1964. I was the only American in school and was teased, hated and fought with unmercifully. Canadians are no warmer towards Californios than anywhere else, even though 99.9% of them know absolutely ZERO about the state. The whole thing is "LA" to them!

As a NORTH Californian, I can sympathize with all those in the north counties wanting to move out of what WAS the best place to live on this planet. Now we are all so disgusted with the invasion of SOUTHERN Californians (and from other states) that we're moving in droves. And BTW, by NORTH CA, I mean the Redding area and farther north. "The Bay Area" is NOT in "Northern Ca." no matter how confused all those whackos are concerning geographics! Them and their leftist anti-gun, tree hugging, liberal big government mindset is slowly poisoning the northstate and disgusting what's left of native North Californians...

Me? Due to a back injury in 2001 that started me down the slippery slope to foreclosure, I'm looking to relocate "somewhere" in the Northwest. The Lolo, MT. looks attractive and the winters can't be quite so bad as central BC...
(I don't mind shovelling a little snow, but 8' is ridiculous! Especially when it 30 below farenheit!!!!)

Californians? Give the displaced "True Northerners" a break. THEY are not like the average Bay Area (and south) CA liberal airhead....

Best,

Dennis
Shingletown, CA.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM

16 posts, read 37,864 times
Calgary is an absolutely superb place and I would highly recommend that all interested in Montana have a look. Coeur d'Alene is another great option as are Sammamish, WA, Lake Oswego, OR and Sherwood, OR - all cities that are on the latest Money Top 50 Best Places to Live.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 20,116 times
Dennis,
Good for you and your reply even though you live a lot farther south than I used to in Graeagle. You are right on about " Southern Californication mentality". I got so sick of it or maybe it was the Poison that the CDFG kept dumping into the drinking water in Lake davis I moved to Idaho which I love but maybe will make a last move to be nearer our kids in Helena or Polson. Anyone have a good buy for under 300k? Dan

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 AM

31 posts, read 38,276 times
We have been trying to get into Canada for over a year now. Its easy to get in and visit (read: SPEND MONEY) but if you are of white European decent you AINT getting into Canada any time soon as a landed immigrant.

My wife has a masters in education, and I have solid military training and experience. Both of us fall easily fall into the "occupations under pressure" category. Plus my veterans pension means hard currency coming in plus our aggregate skills added to the culture.

Dont matter much bcause we have found that asking anyone in the Calgary area for assistance or guidance is the utter hight of rudeness. Doing so will initiate some truly world-class passive-aggressive antics that could shame even the most brazen pre-schooler.

Granted, we have found that the Calgary mentality of not indicative of Alberta as a whole much less Canada. We basically decided to use my veterans educational benefits in a Calgary college. Then maybe parlay that into some form of permanent residency.

Till then we are enjoying life here in Kalispell.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 24,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey I'm from California. I don't give a flying rats patootie where anyone is from . What difference does it make ? At least people from California can read and write !
See, very good example of how rude people are from California. What makes you think Californians are any better?

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM

68 posts, read 218,143 times
not all cali's are as rude as him. but can be. gotta wonder if he was offended... to state that.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM

12 posts, read 46,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfgirl View Post
See, very good example of how rude people are from California. What makes you think Californians are any better?
Not good you should think before you type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or