U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM

43 posts, read 124,387 times

Advertisements

The parade insert thats in most sunday papers nation wide has big fork on page 10 as a bargin to have a second home.I'll bet the realtors are loving it.I'm new to this area will it drive up prices here ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:36 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
I don't know how it could! The prices are insane in Bigfork now. At this point the market is kind of flat in some price ranges but will turn around eventually.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjblue View Post
The parade insert thats in most sunday papers nation wide has big fork on page 10 as a bargin to have a second home.I'll bet the realtors are loving it.I'm new to this area will it drive up prices here ?
If you are new to the area, then this is something you should get used to seeing. The Big Fork area has been heavily promoted for at least the last 10 years that I know of....

Soon it will look exactly like Missoula does now, with prices to match.

Feel lucky that the page placement was #10.... They pulled out all the stops with Missoula placement on page #1 for 5 straight years in a row in the 90's.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM

We have been looking at house's here, moving from alabama I was blown away we were going to rent for a year but with the prices I may buy sooner before the price go's any higher I thought for 3-4 hundred thousand we could get 20 acres and a new home... boy was I wrong we came here from the beach and its as high here as there

Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjblue View Post
We have been looking at house's here, moving from alabama I was blown away we were going to rent for a year but with the prices I may buy sooner before the price go's any higher I thought for 3-4 hundred thousand we could get 20 acres and a new home... boy was I wrong we came here from the beach and its as high here as there
You can still get your 20 acres and new home for right about 325 here in Cascade County.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times
I have friends that are born and raised in Bigfork and we talk about prices quite a bit. The feeling is that realtors and the news have convinced the people selling the land (in bigfork) that it is worth the crazy prices that they are asking. Now people are anxious because the market is a little flat which is mostly due to builders over building putting a glut in inventory. What it does do though, it makes it hard for people like me to sell for a reasonable profit over what it cost me to build. I got a fair deal on the land but materials and labor really ran up costs even though I did some myself. Thankfully I can afford to sit and wait as long as need be.
I still can't get over that my neighbors house sold for 630k and another is on for 750k, in their defense they are really nice houses but I can't see how people pay for it, even if they are coming from out of state.

What I see happening in Bigfork and elsewhere is these out of state builders and some local builders are going to be run out of business soon. The builders figured they found the gold mine and have milked it dry for the most part and now can't sell the specs they have. Now back to the original 20 acre thing, there are some good decent priced pieces out there still it's just they get bought up sometimes before they hit the market.

You really need to find a good local realtor to start looking for you if you haven't yet. More property is sold around here by word of mouth than anything.
Don't give up yet, it will come.......

Old 07-16-2007, 06:12 PM

thanks I have talked to a local realtor and told him what I am looking for and he said the same thing just be ready when we find the right one he also said this market will adjust its self soon so i'll just sit tight and wait my turn after waiting 10 years to get hear whats a few months

Old 07-16-2007, 11:18 PM

121 posts, read 361,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
You can still get your 20 acres and new home for right about 325 here in Cascade County.

From reading your posts promoting Great Falls, I would guess you or some close to you must be involved in real estate.

Well anyway it does seem like you are selling Great Falls as the place to move to in Montana. Interestingly, I haven't seen you mention the coal-fired generator yet, despite it being a contentious issue.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
From reading your posts promoting Great Falls, I would guess you or some close to you must be involved in real estate.

Well anyway it does seem like you are selling Great Falls as the place to move to in Montana. Interestingly, I haven't seen you mention the coal-fired generator yet, despite it being a contentious issue.
No reason to mention something that isn't ever going to happen...They won't ever build it.... it's had so many set backs over the years and no one here really wants it anyway.
SME just needs to build the darn thing in their own back yard and be done with it.... oh, but wait a minute.. it would be too close to western Montana if they did that now wouldn't it? Tough beans I say, western Montana is already ruined, so really, what would it hurt if they built it over there.

My promotion of Great Falls stems from my living in western Montana for well over 40 years, that's all..... I'm amazed at how good folks over there seem to think they have it, when it's so way better over here..... When Montana moved, so did I, to Great Falls...
...No real estate in this camp.. I just try to enlighten folks on just how good the real Montana is.

I've known lots of folks in western Montana that leave in disgust after being here only just a few years..... What they don't know is that western Montana quit being any real part of Montana, years ago, that's why they can't stay here... it's too much like California anymore these days. It's polluted, crowded, close and self absorbed.....

If anyone from Georgia ever wanted to know what California was like without actually moving there, all they'ld have to do is move to western Montana... they would find out in pretty short order just what California is like without ever stepping foot in it.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 PM

121 posts, read 361,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post

If anyone from Georgia ever wanted to know what California was like without actually moving there, all they'ld have to do is move to western Montana... they would find out in pretty short order just what California is like without ever stepping foot in it.

OMG, that is soooo true. But after experiencing what happened there as you did and fleeing the west side for the east side, don't you just want the whole influx of out-of-staters to stop? Instead it seems like you are promoting the east side to them when you know that isn't what they want. For many, their idea of Montana is formed through images of the west side--the mountain valleys, streams, trees, mountain lakes, etc. The east side of the divide in Montana is not most people's ideal of Montana, what with few trees, windy, much colder in the winter--it is not the scenic idyllic place they dream of--it is stark and harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana