Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

We are Bridger Bowl fans - love the family friendly atmosphere, the volunteers at the lifts, the lodges, easy location, prices, etc... However, seems that everyone I talk to at my work puts Bridger down for not having good skiing / snowboarding runs. We're into our 4th year going there, and the kids are still exploring new areas. They are nowhere near bored with it and I don't see that happening for years to come. Admittedly, we've never gone to any of the other ski areas, so I may be uneducated. Is Bridger considered the "bottom of the barrel"? Or do I just work with the "Moonlight or nothing" crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Or do I just work with the "Moonlight or nothing" crowd?
In my opinion, you work with a bunch of snobs. Bridger has some of the most consistent conditions on the I-90 stretch. There's a high quality of varied terrain and the ski patrol is very good. I would not ski at Moonlight as Moonlight is like Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek/Big Sky. Cookie cutter dumbed down runs and overpriced lift tickets and food. Skiing is about the sport, not about who you are skiing with and how pretty your snowpants are.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Wow, not sure what they're talking about... Bridger's fantastic.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Geez, I remember when Bridger was the fashionable ski place, and everywhere else was deemed to suck. Fashions are like locusts, they eat everything in sight, then move on.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
I agree. Not a skier but born and raised in Bozeman, our favorite place to sled was up Bridger Bowl.
It's Classic Montana!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 PM

355 posts, read 1,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
In my opinion, you work with a bunch of snobs. Bridger has some of the most consistent conditions on the I-90 stretch. There's a high quality of varied terrain and the ski patrol is very good. I would not ski at Moonlight as Moonlight is like Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek/Big Sky. Cookie cutter dumbed down runs and overpriced lift tickets and food. Skiing is about the sport, not about who you are skiing with and how pretty your snowpants are.
Agreeed, and I spent many years working there in the 80s and early 90s. Bridger will test your ability if you know the terrain to do it, and/or it will give your kids a great start in the sport. It has gotten considerably more crowded in the last fifteen years, but if you mid-week pass it like most of the locals it's relatively uncrowded. Like you say, it's about the experience, not who sees you on the weekends in what outfit. Used to be you could ride the lift line somewhere in MT, look down at the skiers, and tell who had learned at Bridger - the style was different and bent towards much more advanced terrain.

That being said, you ought to try hiking the Headwaters at Moonlight when conditions warrant. There are some places that I guarantee will cause you to set an edge, tho on the newer style skis I admit it's easier. Moonlight's not really my pick either, but I've had some nice days there. I was not a huge fan of Moonlight either, but I've had some good days there and found breaks on ticket prices at Costco and where my wife works.

The real gems in this state are not common names as yet, and hopefully won't be. Not the areas you'd normally consider, but they have unexpectedly great skiing, modest prices, good chili/cinnamon rolls, and no cattle chutes. Not a lot for amenities, but again, you go to ski!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
I prefer snowboarding on Moonlight and skiing Bridger.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Bridger is awesome... And from a guy that spent half my life in Colorado, that is saying something. I also love to hang out in Big Sky, lots for the kids to do and even with the Yellowstone Club douchebags close by, you can find a lot of good hearted, homebred people at big sky... The tubing hill is awesome for the kids. I'm also a fan of Great Divide.. good family oriented ski hill as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana