Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,856,739 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be staying at Laughing Waters Ranch in NW Montana (Fortine) in the middle of May. We are flying into Glacier Bay Airport the night before - arrival about 9pm. We don't need to be at the ranch until the following evening so that gives us under a day to visit some place. Any ideas? Any recommendations? Should we stay in Kalispell overnight or venture a little further out? I would love to have gotten in earlier but that is all the only arrival time the airline had. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM

451 posts, read 999,169 times
There is so much to see and do in that part of this State that trying to accomplish more than one or two would be daunting and exhausting in a 24 hour period.

First off, just a minor correction, but Glacier Bay Airport is in Alaska. You likely meant to report that you'd be landing at Glacier International Airport which is just north and east of Kalispell.

If correct in that assumption, the following occurs to me based on your information of needing to be in Fortine after a day of tourism.

You could make your first night's lodging in Kalispell or Columbia Falls with the intention of heading to Glacier park in the morning. There are a couple of helicopter ride operators along that track - my suggestion is to take one of those and overfly Glacier National Park. (The Going to the Sun Road won't be open to the top in May). After your early helicopter ride, you would have time to drive to any number of nearby sites or attractions. (See this helpful State of Montana Tourism Site).

You might then book your second night in Whitefish in order to enjoy some exceptional dining and a short drive to Fortine.

Have fun, enjoy and good luck!

mg

Last edited by montygarlic; 01-07-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
agree and agree twice!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Default At least take a few minutes. ~♥~

With all the sightseeing and deadlines and such, I think it would be worthwhile to go to anyplace (with or without a view) where there are trails in the woods.
Just take a few minutes to relax and breath in some forest air, even stick your nose right up into some tree and smell the sweet aromatic aromas from the conifers.
This will de-stress and invigorate you even if the weather is not the best.
Watch out for bears and poison ivy and have fun ! You will want to return with more time. ~♥~

Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Your stay at the ranch may include a trip to Glacier--they have a great website with lots of activities. If that's the case, pick something else to do for that one day. You're a short distance from Whitefish, and exploring the small Western town will really set you up for a great vacation Out West. Have a nice lunch there, and check out a few stores and galleries. But you could also drive down to the north end of Flathead Lake and catch some great scenery. You're in for a treat!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Good ideas guys! Yes, Glacier International....I keep saying Bay. If we had more time we would stay....but I'm hoping we'll just come back. A helicopter ride sounds AWESOME! And I also love to hike...I'll have to check out those suggestions. I really appreciate it! My dream has been to visit Montana and finally my husband listened to me! I know the dude ranches are touristy and we are doing a 'cattle drive' but for our first time I think it will be great!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Default The Glacier Short loop.

If you go to Glacier Park early in the morning you have a better chance of seeing some wildlife especially if you do the short Camas Road/North Fork Road loop.
We drove into the parking lot at Apgar to look at Lake McDonald in time to see this deer enjoying the shade.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TSeyKutTVfI/AAAAAAAAJAk/hxWdRmvDu6o/s512/IMAGE030-2.JPG (broken link)

Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana