U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,915,685 times

Advertisements

Gazette says we are all gonna be geezers!

Montana projected to be fourth

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,732,881 times
Default Economy

Yes, the spending power/stupidity of Baby Boomers knows no bounds. Don't retire with a paid for house and money in IRAs when you can take a reverse mortgage on the home you only have 10% equity in and mooch off of credit cards that you'll never repay.

Having moved from Colorado Springs, a military retiree haven, you'll find more and more political pressure to shut down economic engines such as resource development and agriculture (oil and sugar beet refineries smell) and bring in quiet desk jobs like call centers and "resort" real estate. I shudder to think what could happen in Montana but I don't think it will. I think there will be just enough political pressure from Eastern Montana to fend off those who try to choke economies through political restriction. It won't be pretty but it could happen.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM

31 posts, read 55,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Yes, the spending power/stupidity of Baby Boomers knows no bounds. Don't retire with a paid for house and money in IRAs when you can take a reverse mortgage on the home you only have 10% equity in and mooch off of credit cards that you'll never repay.

Having moved from Colorado Springs, a military retiree haven, you'll find more and more political pressure to shut down economic engines such as resource development and agriculture (oil and sugar beet refineries smell) and bring in quiet desk jobs like call centers and "resort" real estate. I shudder to think what could happen in Montana but I don't think it will. I think there will be just enough political pressure from Eastern Montana to fend off those who try to choke economies through political restriction. It won't be pretty but it could happen.
I sure wish you would not make it sound like all of the baby boomers are stupid and have reverse mortages on their houses and running up credit card debits that they don't intend to pay off. My wife and I are baby boomers and we live in NW MT on fairway #1 of a golf course and our house is paid for and has been for over 12 years and we owe nothing on our credit cards. We owned other houses while we were working elsewhere and had our houses then besides this one. We have IRAs, CDs, we have investments. we own all of our vehicles without any loans (3 new vehicles of which the oldest one is a 2010 sports car and (2) 2011s in fact I just picked up my new 2011 F350 that I special ordered about 3 weeks ago. Paid for with a good check). Our new 5th wheel trailer we ordered last fall just came in and it is paid for already no payments. I have a new boat, ATV, Harley all paid for. I guess I'm a real stupid baby boomer and spent all of my money before my retirement. Both my wife and I have good pensions that we have earned over many years of working with the same company. We both get SS so yea I guess we are stupid and over spent and run our credit cards up. Our credit score is over 800 even though we don't run any debt on our credit cards. We have over $120,000 in credit available to use but yet we owe nothing on any credit cards.

So please don't paint everybody with such a broad brush because there are some of us baby boomers that have done ok for ourselves.

I don't want to shut down any growth in fact I welcome it with open arms. A town/city/village can not survive on service industries only. People can't make living and raise a family on those wages so they have to leave for work elsewhere. I had to do this when I went to work as I'm a MT native and left here when I was 18 for work and just returned now. I wish there where more new decent paying jobs for younger folks so they could stay here.

Sorry for being so long winded but when I read this it just kind of ticked me off for such a generalization my whole era and what generation do you belong to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana