Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Go to Mazatlan, Mexico.
I have been to Mexico a million times over....not Mazatlan though. I don't much care for how horses are kept over there or in other places like the caribbean and such. I don't relish riding a ribbed showing horse.

I grew up across from a horse farm in Vermont (which is no longer there) and I learned to ride bare back when I was little. I don't prefer to be here in the city. My parents moved us from Vermont to the ghettos of Virginia in 1985 to give us a shot at a better life. My father had been out of work for 2 years and decided to try and make it somewhere else. So - here I am umpteen years later. We have 38 acres up in Vermont's NEK and will be building a small cabin and moving there in another year or two in a town of about 900. Cost of living here is super high (actually higher in Vermont compared to the lack of jobs there) but at least my husband and I both have jobs.

I've been lucky I think. My relatives have never seen the 'other side of living' and I've certainly been able to live the good life. But, now that I've lived the city high life - it is not where it's at. I have come to appreciate so much more the value of simple and hard, hard work.

I'm sure that the country folks make fun of the city folks. But just remember that everyone was born and raised differently - and just feel fortunate that things like riding a horse may be second nature. Be thankful for the life that you have and apparently love and have a little tolerance for those that didn't get that opportunity and would like to catch a glimpse of it, if only for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 12:34 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I'm sure that the country folks make fun of the city folks. But just remember that everyone was born and raised differently - and just feel fortunate that things like riding a horse may be second nature. Be thankful for the life that you have and apparently love and have a little tolerance for those that didn't get that opportunity and would like to catch a glimpse of it, if only for a week.
Even if you end up staying at different hotels for a week in May, with a trailride or two, you'll still have a good time. You'll see the incredibly beautiful mountains and rivers, you'll get a feel for the Old West that's still alive, and you will meet very few curmudgeons. One of the fantastic things about this country of ours is that not only do we have a vast variety of places and lifestyles to choose from, we can also choose some of them part-time, and share in a little corner of someone else's reality, or simply live a dream for a while. Our understanding improves, and our horizon widens. And we have fun. Very few places on earth offer such opportunities.

And besides, is it inconceivable that someone who grew up with horses, and spends every day in the mud, with freezing fingers and a sore back, could sometimes dream of--and enjoy--a week in the Big City, getting stuck in traffic, seeing the city lights and smelling the city air, going to different restaurants, catching shows, and paying through the nose for the privilege? Of course not. Variety is good for some souls.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,178 times
vermonter16: I live in Billings; am not a "country folk". Actually, I was just reacting to the cold weather we're having, and thinking about the nice warmclimate in Mexico.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
vermonter16: I live in Billings; am not a "country folk". Actually, I was just reacting to the cold weather we're having, and thinking about the nice warmclimate in Mexico.
I do have a cruise booked for November

Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,178 times
Quote:
I do have a cruise booked for November
So do I! Comedy cruise with Lewis Black.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Just curious but does anyone know anything about the Bar W Guest Ranch in Whitefish? Their rates are $$ but I emailed them and they have offered to pay airfare differences, change fees, and cut us a break because of the circumstances....and probably fill the last couple of spots. I thought the offer was generous given their rates and they don't have to do anything.
Just saw an ad for Bar W in True West Magazine. Looks like they have a cattle drive in late May. Since it's not all that easy to get one's vacation time to match up with the special events at various guest ranches, and they're willing to work with you, it might be the solution you're looking for. I haven't been there, but the Whitefish area is spectacular, and apparently a bunch of Bar W guests from all over really enjoyed their stay:
Bar W Guest Ranch (Whitefish, MT) - Lodging Reviews - TripAdvisor
38 reviews, all positive.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 AM

Hey guys - I went ahead and booked at the Bar W...they paid for our airfare change etc....15 minutes after I got a call at my job that my husband was being taken to the hospital. He had a heart attack and is scheduled for triple bypass surgery in two weeks. They said his heart is heavily damaged...so we are unsure of long term prognosis. I purchased trip insurance the morning after since it said that pre-existing medical would be waived. My husband won't let me cancel the trip and says that he is going....I haven't had the heart to notify the Bar W yet until my husband gets through the surgery (since pyschologically this is something he needs). What are the chances? Everything falls through with the other ranch...this ranch goes above and beyond...and then BAM...can't go anyways...they are going to think we are crazy. It's amazing how life can change in an instant. Please send good thoughts and thank you for all your suggestions.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Sending my best wishes for your husband's quick recovery.

Heart surgery isn't anything to play around with, he needs to follow his doctors orders to recover.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Hey guys - I went ahead and booked at the Bar W...they paid for our airfare change etc....15 minutes after I got a call at my job that my husband was being taken to the hospital. He had a heart attack and is scheduled for triple bypass surgery in two weeks. They said his heart is heavily damaged...so we are unsure of long term prognosis. I purchased trip insurance the morning after since it said that pre-existing medical would be waived. My husband won't let me cancel the trip and says that he is going....I haven't had the heart to notify the Bar W yet until my husband gets through the surgery (since pyschologically this is something he needs). What are the chances? Everything falls through with the other ranch...this ranch goes above and beyond...and then BAM...can't go anyways...they are going to think we are crazy. It's amazing how life can change in an instant. Please send good thoughts and thank you for all your suggestions.
Sorry to learn of your trouble!

3 months after a quadruple bypass operation in 1999 I was able to do anything I wanted to - but the results of such surgeries and the recovery vary widely by individual. We know a local man whose surgery in 2010 was considered successful, but he is quite restricted nearly a year later. Quite a difference, as you can see.

So you asked for suggestions - here's mine: Get through the surgery and 1st month of recovery before deciding anything this major.

I hope that works for you and pray for your husband's good health and well-being. You're correct when you mention how life can change in an instant - a fact we all would do well to keep in mind.

Good luck and May God bless you both,

mg

Old 02-28-2011, 01:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Hey, you take care of hubby first. Do not mess around with this. Take care of family, then, next year, we'll all burn a weiny on the fire. Until then, he is the most important thing you have.

Now, having said that, you can really enjoy a trip to Montana. It will probably be the most relaxing thing you or hubby will ever enjoy. Montana is not going away. Last time I checked it was here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana