Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM

22 posts, read 89,950 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I was doing some research in Great Falls as to what, if any services are available for pregnant teens. I'm not one, however I was one and through all the discouragement and struggles we encountered, my wife and I have been successful. I'm not advocating for teens to go be responsible and reproduce like rabbits, however once the "deed" is done it can be a dark and very scary situation to be in. Many teens are thrown out, or disowned by their parents. They drop out of school, and arn't aware of what help may be out there.

I found Lifeway pregnancy services, who will help anyone that comes to the door. I spoke with the woman who is the director, and while very nice they push a Christian agenda. Every bit of information, from books to videos pushes God. It's not a bad thing, but can be a put off for some young people. I feel that religion is a very personal thing, and when trying to figure out to get through H.S. and feed your child, having someone pushng religion can seem intimidating.

And of course there is Planned Parenthood which we know of their agenda.

Really I'm just looking for somewhere, if it exists to volunteer. I feel that from my experiences, I have some insight to offer without pushing an agenda. Teens that decide they are going to keep the child need support and reassurance that they can make it work. They don't have to drop out, or let the situation ruin their life.

It's kind of broad, but I'd appreciate any information you all might have. I was part of a very supportive program back home, that was run by very commited individuals, and I would like to "give back".

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,625,861 times
I happened to see a flyer for Birthright today. Don't know anything about them but it's worth a shot

Old 03-07-2011, 07:58 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,153,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2k214 View Post
I'm not one, however I was one and through all the discouragement and struggles we encountered, my wife and I have been successful.
Umm I'm having trouble processing this question because if you had a girlfriend how did you get pregnant?

See if there's a right to life office. I think they're a not for profit that supports keeping children.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 PM

22 posts, read 89,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Umm I'm having trouble processing this question because if you had a girlfriend how did you get pregnant?

Hmm... I'm currently not a teen parent, but was one 6 years ago.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM

836 posts, read 1,489,221 times
I commend you on your desire to give to others in your community.

Have you checked the local schools? Possibly the high school counseling office has a program, or could put you in touch with someone who would benefit from your experiences. Perhaps you could speak to health classes?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 6,025 times
I think they have a program called Family Planning, which is basically a place teens go to get help if they are pregnant. They give birth control and all sorts of things to teens that is confidential, from there parents and everyone else. I'm guessing you could volunteer there but I'm not entirely sure theres one were you live.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana