U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 PM

1,836 posts, read 4,451,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post

I know what you mean about change - take for example the change in attitudes of more and more Montanans these days - Their attitude went from "We don't mind if you put a new house or store in" to - "God that's $#@$@# enough already" So if you find some on here with attitudes not to your liking - Well we've 'changed', a change in attitude about the hordes descending upon us - it was inevitable (if I might use your word)
I understand these feelings perfectly. I used to have them. Frankly, I still do, to an extent. What I reluctantly accepted, kicking and screaming all the way, is that it's inevitable. As much as I liked my town the way it was and wanted to keep it that way, it wasn't going to happen. There wasn't a thing I could do about it. Technology, outsiders and politics come in with their own agendas and it seems everything goes downhill. What can you do?

For my own sanity, I just learned to accept that I couldn't change it. I decided to be active in my community and do what I can to preserve what made the town great. Getting angry, fighting the changes and becoming an extremist about it all doesn't change anything.

Quote:
How come 15 years ago no one want anything to do with Montana ? Now all of sudden everybody has got to live here. What's wrong with like North Dakota, Iowa ?
Who knows? I think every place goes through it's phases. I remember when North Dakota was popular. Some magazine prints an article that there's something great about a state, town, etc., and people (tired of the current bad things in their own area) decide that sounds great and move, based on that article. Sadly, this is also one of the reasons why Americans make horrible tourists. They bring their customs, rights, and attitudes with them, expecting everything to be the way it was for them back home. THESE are the kind of people that ruin places.

Quote:
I think alot of people move here for a myth that doesn't really exist, at least not in Western Montana, it should be name Northeastern Cali-tana.
You want real Montana - head east young man, head east - eastern Montana that is. For the vast majority wanting to move to Montana, they don't want real Montana they want boutique Montana, where the better off push out the not so well off and then setup coffee shops, foo-foo eating bristos, fly shops, and in the process drive up land prices and become realestate agents, developers and investers, and the locals get jobs banging nails on new houses they can't afford to buy anymore. BUT it's a free country - and nobody is saying you can't move here.
Actually, I agree with you. In my opinions, Californians have utterly ruined their own state and decided to spread out. They've also ruined Washington, Oregon and Colorado, that I'm aware of. Why? Because they selfishly kept their same lifestyles, rights, expectations and attitudes from their previous home and brought it with them. More than likely it was unintentional on their part because people just don't think through things anymore. They think on the very surface level and then jump into action.

I agree that people want the myth. Want to know why? Because Americans are addicted to being catered to. Don't believe me? Look at Hollywood, the media and advertising. "Make YOUR life better!" "YOU deserve the best!" They're attached to their cell phones, iPods and everything else that they no longer think about, or consider, other people. People are drawn into their own worlds. Others exist as mere objects to either deal with or help get what they want.

There's so much crap and garbage going on everywhere that people are buying into the myths about places, like Montana, hoping they're true. T(hat's why diet pills are so popular. People know they need to exercise and eat better but they want the magic promise.) They want their dream but ruin it for everyone else because they end up turning it into the exact place they came from. They aren't respecting the locals customs and traditions.

Quote:
And before you say I'm bitter, angry, and so on -well back your bags and come on up and take a ride down Reserve St in Missoula and then tell me how much you love the new Montana and that that's the picture of montana you had in your mind.
I certainly don't know you to call you bitter, but you are angry. It's 100% understandable. I'm right there with you. Frankly, it ticks me off to no end when inconsiderate people burst into a place and take it over. It's rude and inconsiderate.

My only point in mentioning what I did is this: 1) Articles, like the original one that was posted, are skewed. I'm a writer. I recognize the signs. These types of articles don't help the situation. They're written by angry people, often so extreme in their feelings that they just come across as bitter, hateful, and without credibility. These are the people that get overly worked-up about a situation that they can't change and their bitterness will eventually make them completely miserable. (That's what I meant when I said these people have problems. The extremists.)

And, 2) People move. It is inevitable. We can't control any of it, not even their reasons. To stay angry only hurts that person. It's not healthy. Unless a person finds a way to cope with the changes, they're going to stay angry and miserable. It's not worth it.

I have no myths about Montana that I'm trying to fulfill. I chose western Montana because I want to live in a small town in, or around, the mountains. I also want to be within driving distance to Canada. I don't want to be too near the west coast, either. I want to stay on this side of the Rockies. I didn't find anything in northern Idaho that interested me. I hate the flatlands, so North Dakota is out of the question. I actually lived there for a time and absolutely hated it. Those are my reasons for wanting to live in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:40 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,839,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Simple Living wrote:

......... it should be name Northeastern Cali-tana. ..
You will need to file an appeal directly to Rand-McNally. On another thread I have previously dubbed this area, "Montanafornia". Also, we are in process of filing a writ to change your motto to "Big Skye Country"... the "e" adds panache and is so tres chic.

PS Heretofore, I am proposing that the invasion process from California be referred to as "Californication". If we really are politically correct, this gem may slip through under the guise of ebonics.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,224,191 times
Simple, check out West Glacier

Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
Holy Smokes don't get me started on that area. I wish all the bears in that drive thru bear park would suddenly get loose ! And that nonsense "House of mystery" should come down with a case of spontaneous combustion ! The water park is ok I guess and the go cart track can stay for a while ! The helicopter rides gotta go, let em hike for the view.
What I propose is that nobody be allowed to come here from California unless they are poor looking and planing to open up many taco stands ! Ya know there is still a lot of open space in Alaska for all of you newcomer and California-hating local Montanans who just love to whine. Don't let the door hit you on your way out ! Change is a fact of life, Get used to it or get the heck out. Mexicans drove me to come here by flooding my home town. Now it's your turn to bear the brunt of our governments lack of border control. Don't blame other people looking for a better life for your inability to adapt to a changing world. There are some really lame attitudes on this thread. It needs to die ! who keeps bumping it up ? Oops I guess that would be me, another Californian living in Montana !
I cannot be held responsible for anyone getting heartburn, stroke or heart attack as a result of my moving here - Thank you !

Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM

What were we talking about?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
We were talking about the price of tea in China of coarse !

Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 PM

522 posts, read 872,394 times
Lightbulb Absolutely!!!!!God save our country!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot_again View Post
"This isolationism is sickening. People from all parts of the country have fought and are fighting for all of us, not just those from their state of birth. So many people here complain about government and regulations, yet they take their subsidies, thank you very much. The people here who complain about outsiders coming in are not making the money off of them. You don't hear complaints from the local developers. And, no, they are not all from California."

When I fought for my country, I was fighting for my way of life. My way of life is rural MT. So now you left wing people who have already screwed up your "way of life" come to mine and screw it up.

And I don't think the people on this forum are complaining about outsiders so much as outsiders coming in and changing things they way they think it should be.

If you liked the way things are going from where you're from, why don't you go back there? Instead you look at MT, say how nice things are and how much you want to live here yet the first thing you try to do is change things to suit you. Now that wouldn't be so bad, but why try to change things to the very things you left behind?

And no, the local developers aren't all from CA - they also come from every other state in the union.

Go home, or fit in with my way of life - you know, the one YOU invaded.
Absolutely!! Gunshot..you are right! I was curious about Montana because my home state..Pennsylvania is being over- wraught with left wing ,anti-gun,pink flagged banners,along with proclamations that we are "so cold" and a bunch of "rednecks".Not to mention the influx of illegals with them that follow.
They want to change us too.
Well if a redneck is defined as someone who's Dad served in the military as a career man..went on to Federal Govt.,believes in the right to bear arms and the right to hunt,fish and live off the land,loves their space and hates to see the desecration of land by greedy developers..then by golly that is what this girl is!!!!.

They come straight out of the city..oh lets move to the country!!
I personally saw the likes of one of these families clear cut the dickens out of my bordering ranch land after they asked for a "right of way" which I was nice enough to give them.They told me they were only going to cut enough trees to clear for the house. Guess what? Acres of trees gone.
He said to me "It's just that my wife is afraid of spiders!"
Well, wait until she sees the bear!!
I moved due to several reasons ,this was one of them!
So I don't need to see this anymore.
There is only one species of poisonous spider in Pennsylvania..
Is it any wonder I have been thinking about moving to Montana!!!
Sir I admire and respect you for standing up ..somebody has to!!
If they have their way we will lose all that we hold dear.
God Bless America!!!
Gretchen

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 AM

1,836 posts, read 4,451,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
You will need to file an appeal directly to Rand-McNally. On another thread I have previously dubbed this area, "Montanafornia". Also, we are in process of filing a writ to change your motto to "Big Skye Country"... the "e" adds panache and is so tres chic.

PS Heretofore, I am proposing that the invasion process from California be referred to as "Californication". If we really are politically correct, this gem may slip through under the guise of ebonics.
I can't take credit for Cali-tana. That was Joe Joe Man's idea. I was just quoting him. I came up with Kwan-ukkah-mas for the new "holiday," since we can celebrate every other religion and holiday in the world but Christianity and Christmas.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,008,739 times
Why do people from Montana blame their problems on California?? When I lived out there it seemed as if most of the transplants were from Minnesota or Washington. I hardly met anyone from California. Anyways...if native Montanans are so freakish about the rest of the country why don't they just build a wall around their state??

Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Why do people from Montana blame their problems on California?? When I lived out there it seemed as if most of the transplants were from Minnesota or Washington. I hardly met anyone from California. Anyways...if native Montanans are so freakish about the rest of the country why don't they just build a wall around their state??
When I lived in MT it seemed like there was a huge influx of people from TX, FL, and AZ. I am sure MT would like to build a wall, but there is not enough illegals to build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or