U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 PM

8 posts, read 20,317 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, son and I are going to be moving to Stevensville, MT from California sometime in the next couple of months. We have never been there but know it's beautiful as my husband's family lives there and we have heard nothing but the best about this town from random people we have spoken to. I have some questions that I was hoping to get some answers on from the locals or people that are familiar with the area.

A little about us....we are in our early 30's and have a 4 year old son. My husband was layed off from work, as were many at his company, due to down-sizing. Once we get up to Stevensville, my husband will most likely be going to work on the rigs in ND. We have always wanted to move to Montana so the lay-off is sort of a good thing. I will be a stay-at-home mom so I am hoping there is a "mom's group" or something there. I'm also curious if many of the men work on the rigs in ND, we have been told that it's pretty common.

We own our home here in Ventura but are going to rent it out and for the time being, rent in Stevensville. Anyone know of any houses to rent that will allow for our two dogs? We are not interested in an apartment, we want something with a yard. So many places I've seen online won't accept animals.

I spoke to the owner of Leaps & Bounds preschool, who was very nice and helpful giving me info on getting my son into preschool there. Anyone have any input on this?

My last question is.....do the people of Montana hate us Californians? I have been warned about this, I've been told we should change our licence plates as soon as possible. If the opinion of Californians is hippy, i.e. tofu eating, dread-locks wearing, electric car driving sort of people, that's not us by any stretch of the imagination :-)

I realized this post is a bit long with multiple questions but if even a few of you have one or two things to say, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,941,784 times
The rigs in ND will be 700-800 miles away from Stevensville. Work schedules might offer larger blocks of time off but burning 2 long days driving to & from in good weather wouldn't be ideal and in poor weather it might take longer or he'd would probably be better off not doing it. That would take a lot of gas money to do each time ($150-250 per round trip?). Flying would be a lot more costly I'd think.

Maybe it could work out, given family in the Stevensville area, if he got the ND job and everyone was willing to accept him being gone a lot, but I was just a bit surprise to hear Stevensville and work in ND.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-12-2011 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 07:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,807,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison10 View Post

My last question is.....do the people of Montana hate us Californians? I have been warned about this, I've been told we should change our licence plates as soon as possible. If the opinion of Californians is hippy, i.e. tofu eating, dread-locks wearing, electric car driving sort of people, that's not us by any stretch of the imagination :-)

I realized this post is a bit long with multiple questions but if even a few of you have one or two things to say, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!!!
I think "hate" is a bit strong to describe the anti-cal sentiment here.

The reason people get frustrated with Californians is because during the economic boom and the .com era, LOTS of Californians moved to Montana, Colorado etc... Selling their homes for lots of $$ and buying up everything in site in other areas. While this worked well for the Californians, it wasn't so good for the local people, because people that have lived and loved the areas were driven out of the market, small businesses closed in the wake of big box stores, small local developers lost projects due to the "big money" California developers, and those that have been working on local wages in order to save up for their homes, were forced to give up their dreams and leave their (extended) families to go out of state to make the same kind of money the real estate market demanded, or stay and rent from an out of stater in pursuit of their dreams of home and land ownership.

Many of them (the ones that moved in from other areas in search of "easy money")are now facing the same foreclosures etc.. that people are seeing in California, because they bought more than they chew here, and we've actually seen some of them moving on, or back to where they came from.. and prices are getting closer to where they need to be for the local community. It's just too bad they left a big mess to be cleaned up.

Because of that stuff, there is a pre-judgment that is placed upon Californians as the "demanding, instant gratification, me first" type of people. If you are not that way, I doubt anyone will even notice where you are from.

All the above said, if it's good, honest, working people moving in that enjoy the company of neighbors, the kind of people that like to make friends, instead of trying to step on toes. Those kind of people will see the welcoming nature of Montana. Good, Independent, Hard Working, Helpful Folks.. Well... Lets just say Karma isn't a stranger to Montana.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,291 posts, read 3,317,863 times
Quote:
............................. Once we get up to Stevensville, my husband will most likely be going to work on the rigs in ND.............................Whether it be N.D or MT, I would not move without definitely having a job lined up first. The employment situation in all of MT is not very good....at all. A lot would depend upon your husband's skills and qualifications. (and realizing the pay-scale for comparible jobs (CA vs MT) will be quite a shock to you.) I repeat.....get a job lined up first.

My last question is.....do the people of Montana hate us Californians?............... No not hate....but certainly many of us are not welcoming CA transplants with open arms due to unfavorable experiences associated with folks from CA that have moved here (into the Bitterroot Valley) in the last 30 years and have brought their CA ideas and customes and life-styles with them. Not a good idea. I've been here (full time) more than 31 years and could site dozens of examples of folks that "brought their CA Baggage" with them and found out fairly quickly that it is a good idea to accept the "ways, culture and life-style" of this area" and not try and make it fit "your CA ideas as to how "things" should be done. NO offense intended....just being quite honest and open about what I have observed over the years.. I've been told we should change our licence plates as soon as possible.
.. Yes, if I were in your position, I would get MT plates ASAP.........you have to get them within 6 months anyway......Again.....pls do not be offended by my "opinions" and "suggestions" stated above....... it's just that I think (IMHO) that you should be made aware of what is felt by many of the valley's residents but very seldom are the true sentiments voiced openly.

I sincerely wish you the best with your contemplated move to MT......"Get the job lined up first!!"

Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,716,928 times
Default 2nd MT Griz

There is one thing that many homegrown Griz and Cat fans agree on. Not welcoming people from CA. (see MT Griz, we Cat fans don't always insist on alphabetical order )

The CA lifestyle has ruined the Bozeman area and turned it into an overpriced recessionary black spot on Montana. I highly recommend getting a job lined up first and do some thinking. If you think you can live in Stevensville and work in ND on oil rigs, think again. Its an 11 hour drive 1 WAY just to Williston and there are no direct flights. As someone who does work in that area, your husband would not have a shot at getting hired with anyone. It is simply too far away even given the severe housing shortage.

There is another thing besides the hippie personna of CA that many in the rest of the nation cannot stand. It's the total lack of rational thinking. The idea of living in Stevensville and working in ND is a perfect example (ie. I or my husband will like an 11-12 hour commute each way).

Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Regarding the lady's possible move from Ventura, CA to Stevi, MT.....................Since the young lady has never been to Stevi, I am suggesting that she visit at least once before making the move........otherwise the "culture-shock" may be significant.....considering the population of Ventura is approx 110,000 vs Stevi at approx 2000!!!......and Ventura County is approx 800,000......(approx 160,000 LESS than the WHOLE state of MT.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
There is one thing that many homegrown Griz and Cat fans agree on. Not welcoming people from CA. (see MT Griz, we Cat fans don't always insist on alphabetical order ).....Hey flyingcat2k..........there is one bit of info related to my "screen name" of "Montana Griz", that I should clarify. True, I am a Montana Grizzly fan, (my daughter graduated from the U of M....however, her husband graduated from MT State in Bozeman). The actual reason behind the "nic-name" is because many years ago, my "huntin' buddies" put that "tag" on me due to fact that on 11/11/1991, I was fortunate (at age 59 1/2) to harvest a Kodiak Grizzly (Kodiak Brown Bear) on the island, at "snow line at 1350 feet elevation". License # 0661.....

My guess is that you are a grad of MT State......that's great. Come back and visit us this fall when the "griz" whip the "cats"

Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the input. We were told there is a train that goes from ND to about 2 hours away from Stevensville so that might be what we do so that the trip is quicker and my husband doesn't have to drive in the bad weather.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. We were told there is a train that goes from ND to about 2 hours away from Stevensville so that might be what we do so that the trip is quicker and my husband doesn't have to drive in the bad weather.
Driving time: Stevi to Whitefish = 3 hours minimum --in good weather.

Train schedule(s): ???

Train ride (hours): approx 12 hours.

Cost???

Connections (PU Truck, car, ?) at both ends??

Possibility (odds) of getting hired on in N.D.????

................Lots to consider.............

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the input everyone, I do not take offense, these are the honest answers I was looking for, so thank you to all of you. Here is some feedback on some of your answers....

We were told there is a train that goes from ND to about 2 hours away from Stevensville so that might be what we do so that the trip is quicker and my husband doesn't have to drive in the bad weather. I won’t mind driving the 4 hours to pick him up every couple of weeks.

My husband is already in North Dakota and has been since Thursday and it looks like he already has a job. My husband is Indian, his tribe is from ND so he has tons of family there and that's who is staying with now. He did tell me that in Williston, there is nowhere to stay, all the motels are filled so we are very lucky his family is there to stay with.

As far as what flyingcat2k had to say, thank you for your comments but believe me, we aren’t blindly moving up there, despite never being there. We have spent hours discussing this amongst the two of us as well as talking to all of our family and getting everyone’s input. My husband has had many opportunities since being in North Dakota as lots of his cousins work on the rigs so we really aren’t concerned that he will find a job. We and are prepared for the times that he will be away and know that it will take some time getting used to but we are a strong family and know that we will survive just fine.

In response to what Montana Griz is saying about the difference in size of Ventura county vs the size of the entire state of Montana, there will be no culture shock. I was born and raised in a tiny town with less than 1,300 people. There is not one stop light in my town, I graduated with 12 people, most of whom I went to pre-school with. I grew up shooting guns. riding horses and dirt bikes, I learned to drive our dune buggy when I was 5. I love camping, hiking, fishing, all the outdoor stuff. I grew up with the cold weather, part of our PE at school was skiing at Mammoth Mountain or June Mountain. This was the very best way I could have ever imagined growing up and we are so excited that our son will get to grow up similar to my upbringing. My parents still live in my hometown so we love going home and walking to the market and seeing people that I’ve known my whole life. Small town living is much more our style. While we think the beach is absolutely beautiful and love the idea of living next to the beach, we love the mountains even more. On our family days, we head to the mountains for hiking and a picnic, that’s our ideal day, just being out in nature.

I completely understand the local opinion on Californians based on the examples given by Timberwolf232. I know you aren’t implying we are that way but just to clarify something about us.... When we got married, we said that we are giving ourselves 5 years to by a home, if we don’t do it, we will move to Montana….we did it in 3 years. Neither one of us come from money, so we had to scrimp and save all we could in order to buy our home and all that comes with it (closing costs, escrow, fumigation, furnishing the house, repairs, etc). We got no help at all from anyone which is really how we prefered it but we did it based on our determination. Our home was a forclosure, we bought it for $400,000- but when it was sold a year and a half prior to that, it sold for almost $700,000- so should we ever decide to sell, it will financially help us and our kids. We are not going to sell our home when we move, we want to keep it, either to sell later when we could make a profit on it, keep it to use as a second home or keep if for our kids for when they get older. Any way we go with it, we will have a plan.

We are very anxious to get up there and enjoy the slower life, I look forward to finding some volunteer opportunities as I do volunteer work here with the elderly. Not to worry people of Montana, we aren’t headed your way to mooch or bring any negative energy!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone, I do not take offense, these are the honest answers I was looking for, so thank you to all of you. Here is some feedback on some of your answers....

We were told there is a train that goes from ND to about 2 hours away from Stevensville so that might be what we do so that the trip is quicker and my husband doesn't have to drive in the bad weather. I wonít mind driving the 4 hours to pick him up every couple of weeks.

My husband is already in North Dakota and has been since Thursday and it looks like he already has a job. My husband is Indian, his tribe is from ND so he has tons of family there and that's who is staying with now. He did tell me that in Williston, there is nowhere to stay, all the motels are filled so we are very lucky his family is there to stay with.

As far as what flyingcat2k had to say, thank you for your comments but believe me, we arenít blindly moving up there, despite never being there. We have spent hours discussing this amongst the two of us as well as talking to all of our family and getting everyoneís input. My husband has had many opportunities since being in North Dakota as lots of his cousins work on the rigs so we really arenít concerned that he will find a job. We and are prepared for the times that he will be away and know that it will take some time getting used to but we are a strong family and know that we will survive just fine.

In response to what Montana Griz is saying about the difference in size of Ventura county vs the size of the entire state of Montana, there will be no culture shock. I was born and raised in a tiny town with less than 1,300 people. There is not one stop light in my town, I graduated with 12 people, most of whom I went to pre-school with. I grew up shooting guns. riding horses and dirt bikes, I learned to drive our dune buggy when I was 5. I love camping, hiking, fishing, all the outdoor stuff. I grew up with the cold weather, part of our PE at school was skiing at Mammoth Mountain or June Mountain. This was the very best way I could have ever imagined growing up and we are so excited that our son will get to grow up similar to my upbringing. My parents still live in my hometown so we love going home and walking to the market and seeing people that Iíve known my whole life. Small town living is much more our style. While we think the beach is absolutely beautiful and love the idea of living next to the beach, we love the mountains even more. On our family days, we head to the mountains for hiking and a picnic, thatís our ideal day, just being out in nature.

I completely understand the local opinion on Californians based on the examples given by Timberwolf232. I know you arenít implying we are that way but just to clarify something about us.... When we got married, we said that we are giving ourselves 5 years to by a home, if we donít do it, we will move to MontanaÖ.we did it in 3 years. Neither one of us come from money, so we had to scrimp and save all we could in order to buy our home and all that comes with it (closing costs, escrow, fumigation, furnishing the house, repairs, etc). We got no help at all from anyone which is really how we prefered it but we did it based on our determination. Our home was a forclosure, we bought it for $400,000- but when it was sold a year and a half prior to that, it sold for almost $700,000- so should we ever decide to sell, it will financially help us and our kids. We are not going to sell our home when we move, we want to keep it, either to sell later when we could make a profit on it, keep it to use as a second home or keep if for our kids for when they get older. Any way we go with it, we will have a plan.

We are very anxious to get up there and enjoy the slower life, I look forward to finding some volunteer opportunities as I do volunteer work here with the elderly. Not to worry people of Montana, we arenít headed your way to mooch or bring any negative energy!!!

You have "filled-in" a lot of blanks............it appears you "have-your-ducks-in-a-row". I wish you luck......I was just trying to be realistic regarding your potential move, and based my comments and opinions on the minimal info you previously posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana