U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM

45 posts, read 68,231 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving to Montana in Aug from Sunny Brisbane Australia.I am an American but have been away for 25 yrs living in Japan & New Zealand.I have had enough of this Heat they have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world here.yes the wages & beaches are good here but thats about it.
I miss my homeland eventhough I am from Calif/Hawaii.
I have good friends that live in Montana like family which I need now they want us to come.But am so nervous of the snow 5-6 months out of the year 5-6 feet !!
Any thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:53 PM

213 posts, read 596,627 times
5-6 feet? Some places will get that over the course of the year, but that doesn't mean that you have snow piled 5-6 feet up in your yard. You'll get some, it will melt, you'll get a little more, etc. Most often no more than a foot or two at a time, and you'll see bare ground periodically throughout the winter.

Of course it depends on exactly where you live - some places do get more snow than others, but in general this is how the winters go.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM

692 posts, read 1,488,556 times
It snows in Montana???????

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,995,951 times
On pages like this one

MISSOULA WSO AP, MONTANA - Climate Summary

you can see average snowfall by month and year and average snow depth on the ground too. In Missoula the average winter snow depth is 1-4 inches, though it will be more and less thru time as previously stated. Snow drift banks will be deeper as will baks of plowed snow and areas in deep shade. And of course there will be much more in the higher mountains.

Pick from many towns here
Montana Climate Summaries

Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 62,851 times
Default Where in MT?

Not all MT gets that much snow. I live in West Yellowstone and today have 2+ feet in my yard. I can drive 89 miles north to Bozeman and they have NO snow!!! We get a lot of snow but the roads for the most part are always in decent shape. Montana has the equipment to deal with snow. Missoula I am sure has cherries in bloom. It is a big state with varying climates.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM

214 posts, read 529,283 times
Basket, if your coming from a dry clmate like I think Brisbane is like, you won't have any problem getting adjusted to Montana's climate.

Like me and a few others in my community here, we all came from Nevada or Arizona back in the ninties, which is similar in climate to where you are at. Adjusting to the colder weather wasn't an issue. Yes. The main reason why is we were going from one dry climate state to another. In fact on most days Montana is even dryer than the southwest. I've done research on this and found this to be true.

The only problem I've seen transplants have issues with is if they came from a wetter climate and then moved here. It's a tough adjustment if your not use to the dry and the altititude factors increase the havek on your circulatory system.

Let's face it, the true adjustments you're going to have is the taste of the food and water, if you've been out of the states a long time, and driving back on the right side of the road again, with MPH!

Whenever I spent a lot of time in Canada it took me a long time to get use to their food and water. Every country processes their food a little different. I could never get use to their taste of milk up there, since I like cereal in the morning. It was just so different, sort of an after taste!

Good luck on your decision!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,713,430 times
Could be snowing in August. lol I've heard of that, but never witnessed it myself.

By September? Definitely, there's a very good chance. Seen that many times. First snow in Great Falls, MT in 2010? September 17.

And they apparently got a foot last Friday in the Northcentral region. Yeah. Overall the winter is not too harsh. But they're not fans of plowing, so I'd own an SUV if I were you. And it tends to come early and linger late.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 28,431 times
depends upon where in montana, I totaly agree... it snows more in the western half of the state but blows colder in the east (ice). where I'm from its not uncommon to have 5 foot in your yard... more if you live up the mountains (ie yaak, mt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana