U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:42 PM

200 posts, read 250,235 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry about Great Falls. We have decided to pull it from our list and have narrowed our search to vicinity of Helena and Kalispell respectively. We consider "vicinity" to around 25 miles from the city proper. We will explore Helena the next few days and Kalispell in the next week.

I have read several threads on both cities and have a very good base of info. I have also studied the demographics and census data for both as well as weather, history, and local attractions.

If you have a recommendation for a realtor in Helena or Kalispell, please PM me the info and if you care if I drop your name when I contact them.

This is a beautiful State and Helena has been everything I expected and more!

Any additional comments or input on "life in the city" from a local's standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Geo Roam; 04-04-2011 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,645,880 times
I can't give you any details as a local yet. I have'nt been here a year- After 04/18 I can give you details as a 'seasoned' Helena resident, lol.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,684,625 times
Dependent on your activities, they are really different towns.
Would you like to provide more details?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I can't give you any details as a local yet. I have'nt been here a year- After 04/18 I can give you details as a 'seasoned' Helena resident, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Dependent on your activities, they are really different towns.
Would you like to provide more details?
Thanks Threerun, got your PM. Since you are a recent transplant, you likely have a great perspective as well.

Mt-7, I guess I am looking for the negatives as well. I apologize for not having specific questions other than a realtor. How about walleye fishing and pheasant hunting?

How is the service of the local cable company? Cable internet or DSL?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,645,880 times
Walleye is big in Canyon Ferry, and pheasants are more to the eastern areas.. I hunted in Westby last fall. Waaaay up in the northeast corner.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM

451 posts, read 518,020 times
There are NO walleyes in the US West of the Continental Divide. Also, the pheasant hunting in the West side of the State is not much to brag about. I miss them both, and with gas prices climbing, don't go chasing to the East Side so often anymore.

Other than that, it seems to me you are doing a good job of researching. I rather expect that the scenery and weather in Kalispell will be a strong attraction for you once you have visited.

So your final choice of a town to locate to will be difficult, but at least it will be between two great areas of the world, so you cannot really lose.

Good luck!

mg

Old 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
There are NO walleyes in the US West of the Continental Divide. Also, the pheasant hunting in the West side of the State is not much to brag about. I miss them both, and with gas prices climbing, don't go chasing to the East Side so often anymore.

Other than that, it seems to me you are doing a good job of researching. I rather expect that the scenery and weather in Kalispell will be a strong attraction for you once you have visited.

So your final choice of a town to locate to will be difficult, but at least it will be between two great areas of the world, so you cannot really lose.

Good luck!

mg
Thank you!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM

442 posts, read 567,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
Hi folks. Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry about Great Falls. We have decided to pull it from our list and have narrowed our search to vicinity of Helena and Kalispell respectively. We consider "vicinity" to around 25 miles from the city proper. We will explore Helena the next few days and Kalispell in the next week.

I have read several threads on both cities and have a very good base of info. I have also studied the demographics and census data for both as well as weather, history, and local attractions.

If you have a recommendation for a realtor in Helena or Kalispell, please PM me the info and if you care if I drop your name when I contact them.

This is a beautiful State and Helena has been everything I expected and more!

Any additional comments or input on "life in the city" from a local's standpoint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
As someone who has lived in vicinity of Helena for 2 years and have visited often, monthly, for past 7 years I can highly recommend Helena area. For being the capitol and a "city" it has the small town flair, there is activities galore downtown, skiing at the Great Divide, fishing in several lakes and the Missouri River, golf course, winter activities and summer activities galore. Lots of places for riding horses, bikes, atvs. Let's see what else? It just depends on what your lifestyle is.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
It just depends on what your lifestyle is.
You nailed everything but "golf". Unless there is substantial booze I guess.

We are very active outdoors and the area meets those endeavors. This is day 2 and I really like Helena. Montana City is nice as well. I'll explore west tomorrow.

Thanks all, really appreciate the info!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,048,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
There are NO walleyes in the US West of the Continental Divide.
You may be able to find em' just east of the divide though...

We just moved from Gallatin county, (Belgrade/Manhattan area) to the Helena area and we are loving it. The people are warm and friendly, good lakes are close, the city is nice, and the hiking / hunting is just as good if not better than in the Bozeman area... * cough*, I mean the hunting and fishing is terrible and the people are mean, *cough*

Helena seems to me to have an attitude like I remember from my younger years in Bozeman... Bozeman seems to be becoming more like an Aspen, CO type of place these days.. . But whatever floats your boat.. My boat likes to float where there are walleyes! (That said a bad day fishing is better than a good day working..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana