Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 13,867 times

Advertisements

We moved to Montana from California about 6 months ago. We are in the Flathead Valley. I used to come to this thread to read all about Montana. It was our dream for about 3 years to make the move. I read all about how people in Montana hate Californians and outsiders for that matter. I read stories telling people to not mention where we are from. I am here to tell you that you are all wrong about the people here. We have been welcomed with open arms by the overwhelming majority of people. I was truly scared to see what everybody was talking about before I came here. I do not hide the fact that we just moved here either or where we came from. If anything people are intrigued by what made us move here and are proud to find out that we think the world of our new home. The Flathead is arguably the most beautiful place in the world to me but suprising enough the people are even better.

It was told to us by a friend of ours from Whitefish who has lived here all his life that it is not the true people from Montana that hates outsiders it is actually the transplants themselves who rais a stink.

I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 PM

127 posts, read 346,694 times
Montana Dream'n -- I'm so glad you are having a great experience! It gives the rest of us hope. Thanks for posting!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:00 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,388 times
It's not that any of us "hate" outsiders, it's just there is so darn many people moving in that it's hard to adjust to all the traffic, rising prices, old stores closing down to make room for all the big enterprise type outfits that are all the same etc... Then the family visits, and someone's uncle has this great franchising idea and brings his family, then the in-laws visit and "need" a vacation home and on and on and on.

To some of us, enough is enough. We weren't born and bred in the city, and when the city grows around you in a place you used to know everyone it can be a really frustrating.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
It's not that any of us "hate" outsiders, it's just there is so darn many people moving in that it's hard to adjust to all the traffic, rising prices, old stores closing down to make room for all the big enterprise type outfits that are all the same etc... Then the family visits, and someone's uncle has this great franchising idea and brings his family, then the in-laws visit and "need" a vacation home and on and on and on.

To some of us, enough is enough. We weren't born and bred in the city, and when the city grows around you in a place you used to know everyone it can be a really frustrating.
Unfortunately what you describe is happening all over the west, and it is only going to get worse.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,509 times
I can have Elkhunter Merge this thread for everyone into the other one if he pops on. I am still learning how to Merge threads and I am not familiar with exactly how to do that. I am taking over while Elkhunter is on hiatus for a little while, so it may be a little while before I can merge. Just a heads up for those who suggested that. Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM

218 posts, read 580,185 times
For every state on this forum, one runs into the same conversation. The "outsiders" vs. "natives." For one thing, what is funny that is a lot of "natives" have parents/grandparents who were once "outsiders." Bottom line isn't whether you are one or the other. Bottom line is manners and consideration of other people. MT people are wonderful - but just like any other place, you have your jerks and that wouldn't matter where you were from. Also, some of those who move in dont try to jump in an be part of the culture but simply criticize. All would be happy if each side treated each other with kindness. Whenever we have been in MT, and we know lots of of good friends there now, there are getting to be LOTS of newbies moving in and so newcomers find making friends much easier now. I wouldn't believe all the horror stories. Sometimes people get on these forums purposely to try and dissuade people from moving there. If you wish to go to MT, go for it. Bottom line we are all Americans and all of this great country belongs to ALL of us.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:46 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXknitter View Post
If you wish to go to MT, go for it. Bottom line we are all Americans and all of this great country belongs to ALL of us.
Even a worn out old surf bum from southern California like me ? !
So far I've managed shovel the early snow until November in my sandals for 12 years now . You can take the boy out of California but you can't always take the California out of the boy, but however you aren't going to see me trying to get on the town council or running for Mayor.
All I want is to grow old, listen to the trains going by and die a natural death in Mayberry rather than bite the dust in a gang war crossfire battle over street corner drug dealing turf while just trying to walk home with my groceries.
We never tried to fit in when we moved to Montana, we just got our butts to work and lived our lives just like we do anywhere we happen to live. Pay your bills, don't start fights, don't let your dog harass any animals (unless you're on an English style fox hunt, yea right !) and of coarse don't try to change things and you'll be fine, things change on their own anyway. There are most likely only a few states where this is not the case.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 33,198 times
I've lived here for 4 years, and my family for nearly 30 years.

I don't see too much of the "not in my backyard mentality", although people sure like to type and blog about it.

Montanans are about the nicest people around and I have had nothing but positive experiences.

Example is Bozeman's generosity. Nearly 80% of the population give ssomething to a worthy cause or charity. They have a very loving heart.

[Mod Cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-11-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Personal attachs won't do.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
My wife and I are native born Californians. We visited Fort Peck from 1996
through 2003 from May until October. Aside from the fantastic fishing we
recharged our faith in humanity batteries through interaction with 99% of the
native Montanans. The other 1% may have been out-of-staters...LOL We no
longer are able to make the trek. We miss the people who live there. You who
are wary of Californians let them prove themselves before putting out the
welcome mat. Oregon had the same problem with Californians who retired and
over paid for property there. i hear that there was a sign on the border which
asked those entering not to "Californicate Oregon". I do not apologize for my
money nor will I rub anyone's nose in it either. I worked hard and so did the
guy in Montana. He is my brother.... Bless you folks.... Keep your way of life.
There is none better...... Sherm and Margaret Triscuit......

Old 04-12-2010, 05:20 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Even a worn out old surf bum from southern California like me ? !
So far I've managed shovel the early snow until November in my sandals for 12 years now . You can take the boy out of California but you can't always take the California out of the boy, but however you aren't going to see me trying to get on the town council or running for Mayor.
All I want is to grow old, listen to the trains going by and die a natural death in Mayberry rather than bite the dust in a gang war crossfire battle over street corner drug dealing turf while just trying to walk home with my groceries.
We never tried to fit in when we moved to Montana, we just got our butts to work and lived our lives just like we do anywhere we happen to live. Pay your bills, don't start fights, don't let your dog harass any animals (unless you're on an English style fox hunt, yea right !) and of coarse don't try to change things and you'll be fine, things change on their own anyway. There are most likely only a few states where this is not the case.
A great philosophy Rickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana