U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 PM

716 posts, read 953,294 times

Advertisements

I suppose outsiders telling us what we can or can't do on our own property isn't a good way to make friends here either. (not the illegal or nuisance things, just regular native folk stuff)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,836,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm5 View Post
My wife and I are native born Californians. We visited Fort Peck from 1996
through 2003 from May until October. Aside from the fantastic fishing we
recharged our faith in humanity batteries through interaction with 99% of the
native Montanans. The other 1% may have been out-of-staters...LOL We no
longer are able to make the trek. We miss the people who live there. You who
are wary of Californians let them prove themselves before putting out the
welcome mat. Oregon had the same problem with Californians who retired and
over paid for property there. i hear that there was a sign on the border which
asked those entering not to "Californicate Oregon". I do not apologize for my
money nor will I rub anyone's nose in it either. I worked hard and so did the
guy in Montana. He is my brother.... Bless you folks.... Keep your way of life.
There is none better...... Sherm and Margaret Triscuit......
Sorry you are no longer able to visit. Keep the spirit of Montana in your heart.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM

90 posts, read 195,216 times
I'm 16 and live in Colorado. I go to a bible camp here in the south a few hours from The Four Corners region and a girl who lives in Montana comes there. She is the one of the nicest, sweetest, people in the world. And last year I went on a canoe trip with my dad an some of his friends in Montana. We stopped in Fort Benton where we got on the river and none of the people there treated us like outsiders. Everyone was kinda like family. Montana may be the fourth largest state in the U.S. and they may not have overcrowded cities or large populations but they have some of the friendliest faces in the world. One friend of my dads is from Red Lodge south of Billings. He and his wife were really easy to talk to. I don't know what dummies spread that crud around about your state treating others like outcasts and that means they have no idea of the true meaning of friednship

Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 PM

22 posts, read 81,948 times
I was brought here by the Air Force, stationed at Malmstrom in Great Falls. My wife and I are originally from Northen Virginia, about an hour for D.C. Coming to Montana was a bit of culture shock, but one that turned out to be fantastic!

From the first phone call I made to local businesses trying to find a storage unit, to asking for directions, to the father and son owned buffalo ranch that gave us Buffalo Jerky passing through have been some of the friendliest "strangers" I've ever come across. I've traveled the East Coast in it's entirety, and the mindset of people (for the most part) is totally different. We enjoyed the slower pace of life and realized that the general mentality here is to live life, enjoy it, but it's not a rat race. It's not who has the best suit, working in the biggest building with the newest Mercedes.

My wife and I are set to PCS in June back to Hampton, VA (Langley AFB) and I cannot express how much I will miss Montana and it's people.

It's been a great stay, thanks for having us!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM

4,881 posts, read 5,762,130 times
tim2k214,
Thank you for your service to our country and I am pleased to know you enjoyed your stationing in Montana.

My Brother in Law was stationed at Malmstrom, Missle Wing. Now, While he was born here, he really enjoyed his time at Malmstrom.

Good Luck on your new posting, and always feel free to come and visit us on these boards whenever you like.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2k214 View Post
I was brought here by the Air Force, stationed at Malmstrom in Great Falls. My wife and I are originally from Northen Virginia, about an hour for D.C. Coming to Montana was a bit of culture shock, but one that turned out to be fantastic!

From the first phone call I made to local businesses trying to find a storage unit, to asking for directions, to the father and son owned buffalo ranch that gave us Buffalo Jerky passing through have been some of the friendliest "strangers" I've ever come across. I've traveled the East Coast in it's entirety, and the mindset of people (for the most part) is totally different. We enjoyed the slower pace of life and realized that the general mentality here is to live life, enjoy it, but it's not a rat race. It's not who has the best suit, working in the biggest building with the newest Mercedes.

My wife and I are set to PCS in June back to Hampton, VA (Langley AFB) and I cannot express how much I will miss Montana and it's people.

It's been a great stay, thanks for having us!
For people like you I hope we get the chance to say "Welcome back". Thanks for your service.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:11 AM

37 posts, read 53,350 times
Default Interesting

I never knew this about people coming in here & messing up the land and then leaving after awhile with a wake of mess behind.

I'm from the south, Georgia, and I have lived in many cities & traveled to many places. I've never been to the west but Montana comes off to me as a place I'd like to live for along time & travel through the state while working and living there. I love the nature scenery too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or