Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:52 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times

Advertisements

I'm confused....

I don't live in MT but I could have told you this? So why are you complaining? If you didn't know what you were getting into moving there, didn't do any research, then you deserve what you had coming to you.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

324 posts, read 714,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Montana: The cold of Minnesota, the gloom of Seattle, and the snow of Upstate NY.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up

Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 PM

324 posts, read 714,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I'm confused....

I don't live in MT but I could have told you this? So why are you complaining? If you didn't know what you were getting into moving there, didn't do any research, then you deserve what you had coming to you.
I lived in NW Montana for a few years, left when I realized I had been missing sunshine for too long.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,283 times
Real simple, If you want stable, pleasurable and reliable weather for summer and enjoyable, snow filled winters, DO NOT move to Montana, especially Missoula.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,283 times
I'm working on that as we speak but I also am speaking from a lifetime experience and simply passing it along to others. But if you wanna find out the hard way and not learn from others viewpoints and experience, knock yourself out.

I do love this state and town for many reasons but the few things I do hate/dislike have been growing the past several years and its basically boiling over and i've finally had it.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-31-2011 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Orphaned quote

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM

233 posts, read 543,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I'm working on that as we speak but I also am speaking from a lifetime experience and simply passing it along to others. But if you wanna find out the hard way and not learn from others viewpoints and experience, knock yourself out.

I do love this state and town for many reasons but the few things I do hate/dislike have been growing the past several years and its basically boiling over and i've finally had it.
Sorry AT28, didn't mean to be harsh. I've had nothing but a long line of whiners this morning and each of their "problems" has a solution...they just don't want to do anything about it.

I apologize for responding to your posts with that atmosphere on my mind.

Quality of life is very important. Some stay in crappy places because of things they think they cannot effect, but many can effect those things more than they know.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

468 posts, read 1,540,875 times
Way back in my Air Force days I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, MT. I had never been to Montana before that so I did some old fashioned, yet limited, research on it (back before the Internet). What did I learn about Montana? Lots of mountains, wildlife, big open skies, long distances between "big" towns, plenty of wide open spaces, fresh air, and I learned about the cold Winters.

Okay. No problem. Being from Oklahoma I already enjoyed the big open skies and the wildlife. Not too many mountains (actually "hills") unless you live in the Eastern part of Oklahoma. Back then Oklahoma was getting too crowded for my taste. I was ready for a change, and I looked forward to living in Montana. Bring on the cold weather. I wasn't skeered.

I made my way West towards the Rockies then followed them North all the way into Montana (a slight oversimplification of the driving route, but you get the idea). I was getting more and more excited about living near the "real" mountains. Then I got to Great Falls. What the heck? Nothing but flat open prairie country. For all I knew I was back in Oklahoma.

The Winter came. I had never seen so much snow in my life. I swear it snowed every day (I exaggerate for effect). And, the cold? Holy cow. When the ambient temps are 20 below, and the wind is blowing 20-30 mph, that is C-O-L-D! The radio in my truck wouldn't even work until the truck had been running long enough to thaw the electronics inside. And, the Air Force expected me to go OUTSIDE and work on the planes? You know you're cold when you huddle up to the exhaust pipe of the work van just to get some heat, and not care about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Then came the Summer. What a difference. Snow caps on the very distant mountains. Temps near 100 degrees. No humidity. Lots of sun. Very beautiful weather. Summer didn't last very long. Seems there isn't a Spring or Fall. Just Summer for a little while and back to Winter.

Yes, the wind can be harsh at certain times of the year, but I was used to that already.

What was my conclusion about Montana after my Air Force experience? I loved it. Everything I read about Montana was true. The people are friendly, the skies are big, the wildlife is abundant, the hiking trails are fantastic, it's not very crowded, and the mountains are a short drive away (from where I was stationed). It was everything that Oklahoma was, and wasn't. All rolled into one.

I plan on semi-retiring in about 3 years. My goal is to get back to Montana every chance I get. To me it was a great place to live for the time I was there.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 AM

29 posts, read 117,865 times
Yep, the Man Upstairs made Montana the way He did because not everyone can appreciate it..It helps to keep the riff-raff out...Montana is still under one million people population...Let this guys post be a warning for others about our weather...I do have to say that I watch Billings weather in winter and cringe at how cold it is..there are many areas that are warmer..but do not have a strong economy for job seekers...I do hope you find a state/area you are looking for..Let us know where you wind up and why...Good luck MG

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM

468 posts, read 1,540,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanagirl View Post
Yep, the Man Upstairs made Montana the way He did because not everyone can appreciate it..It helps to keep the riff-raff out...

If you see a medium sized RV (Class C), with Oklahoma tags, don't shoot. It's me just trying to fit in.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM

36 posts, read 91,884 times
Reminds me of something I saw about Norway. You know, that place off the North Sea that straddles the Arctic circle.

In Norway they say there is no bad weather. Only bad clothing.

S~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana