Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:43 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times

Advertisements

Wow. Sounds just like Hawaii. And Austin. Californians invading in the hopes that it's some land of milk and honey.

I spent a lot of time in Montana when I worked in Yellowstone. I would think Bozeman would have a lot of job turnover so it might not be that hard to find work. I don't get the concept of moving to a place then looking for a job. It seems like a lot of people are living in the past... before the internet.

Look for jobs. Apply for jobs. When you get one, move to where it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Wow. Sounds just like Hawaii. And Austin. Californians invading in the hopes that it's some land of milk and honey.

I spent a lot of time in Montana when I worked in Yellowstone. I would think Bozeman would have a lot of job turnover so it might not be that hard to find work. I don't get the concept of moving to a place then looking for a job. It seems like a lot of people are living in the past... before the internet.

Look for jobs. Apply for jobs. When you get one, move to where it is.
People leaving CA are like rats fleeing a sinking ship. I'm sorry but most of them ruined a perfectly good state and want to bring their brand of pestilence elsewhere. Arizona and Nevada are finding out the hard way and Oregon and Washington have some of the highest rates of youth unemployment in the country.

Bozeman does have a lot of job turnover but only in positions paying under $10/hr. Anything that pays decently is held on to with an iron grip. The problem is that the median household income is only 42,290 a year. Bozeman has few high paying jobs but lots of trust fund babies from CA and elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM

54 posts, read 121,361 times
The wife and I are planning on moving to either Montana or Idaho, I wont have a job when I get there, dont really need one. I dont want to change a thing about either state. Nor do I want to be judged by people that dont know me. We're moving to get away from people,If at some point I want to work, I will provide my own job, and maybe some for some of the native Montanains or Idahoans, not sure I got those spelled correctly, but this isnt an english class either.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
What are ponhaus? ....
Before someone adds an extra "o" and pronounces it like a German house of ill repute....."ponhous" is a Pennsylvania Dutch dish that makes use of leftover pork trimmings, added to corn meal, a little flour and fried in an iron skillet.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
People leaving CA are like rats fleeing a sinking ship. I'm sorry but most of them ruined a perfectly good state and want to bring their brand of pestilence elsewhere.......
Pestilence, or should we fear Conquest on the White horse from California. Revelations 6:1-2.....and not far behind War, Famine, and Death (from neighboring Nevada, Oregon & Washington?).

From a less melodramatic perspective. People retain the freedom to relocate. Some you want as a neighbor. Some you don't. Let's not see all Californians as the first vanguard of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 AM

31 posts, read 126,863 times
The great thing about America is people can move here from other places. Freedom to move around. The sad part is when people move without a job lined up.

Along with the out-of-staters moving in, there are a boatload of Canadians who come to buy up property, vacation or otherwise. I would be more concerned with foreigners coming in than a fellow American moving in from another state.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
People are moving to Montana in the desperate hopes of getting away from THEM. Good luck with that. We watched On The Beach recently, and moving inland to get away from THEM is about as pointless as when all those Australians moved to the southern end of the continent to escape the clouds of radiation for a few more days.

At least those Australians could be honest about why they were on the run.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandviewgloria View Post
people are moving to montana in the desperate hopes of getting away from them. Good luck with that. We watched on the beach recently, and moving inland to get away from them is about as pointless as when all those australians moved to the southern end of the continent to escape the clouds of radiation for a few more days.

At least those australians could be honest about why they were on the run.
lol!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Before someone adds an extra "o" and pronounces it like a German house of ill repute....."ponhous" is a Pennsylvania Dutch dish that makes use of leftover pork trimmings, added to corn meal, a little flour and fried in an iron skillet.

Sounds delicious! I want some

Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
We don't worry so much about the foreigners coming. Small towns can be a bit on the closed-minded side and not willing to accept change so the tension is almost too much for foreigners. It's happened in the past. One family came and only one of them could speak English. They moved within 6 months. Not that I condone the shunning they faced but geez, if you are going to live here, learn our language. As far as Californians, the one's who have come before the rest of you wanting to come have pretty much burned the bridges. I'm not as concerned with out of staters and foriegners as much as I am concerned about "big money" moving in. It's these people who are coming, buying up land (creating the need for subdivions) and using their money as influence on locals. They spend an obscene amount of money building a house fit for an Arab Prince, decide they don't like it here and move. Their house goes on the market for a price that only another "big money" person can afford so the cycle continues. They put 10 horses on 20 acres not thinking about the quality of the land, just the fact that they have $10,000 horses going to waste in their backyard. In the meantime, locals are busting their butts trying to make a living for their family, wanting the American Dream and not being able to afford it cause property values have skyrocketed. Newcomers need to look at our perspective too. Now if GLS wants to come and make some of those ponhaus, you are more than welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana