U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,014,444 times

Advertisements

How come so many Cali people move to Montana??

Beats me, Cali is such a wonderful beach town, great coffee and seafood and quite well known regionally for drop dead gorgeous women, it may well be the best known city in Columbia.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,196,222 times
^ Heheh, that's a good one. I hate the term "Cali". Sounds like something some "valley girl" would say. The state is called "California".

I think part of their problem in California is that they simply have too many people. You get that many people living within the borders of one state, and it's necessarily GOING to cause problems, plain and simple. Well, I don't know much about Texas, actually, but I have heard they have some problems of their own as well. I just think it's gotta be difficult to effectively legislate and regulate a state of that size and population. Montana's got the size, not the population though.

It kills me how people will buy up a place that used to be a ranch and turn it into a vacation home that will sit empty for 50 weeks out of the year. Are they tearing the mountains up real bad out there too? Our mountains are gouged up real bad, covered in big, ugly houses that mostly belong to people who don't live anywhere near Western North Carolina. Grrr. I guess that's one of the downfalls of a free-market economy though. Anything good (or bad, really) will have its problems.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,561,748 times
I think just about every state west of the Mississippi and some east of it, are having a lot of people move from California. California has lots of people and the economy is shot out there so many are in search from beautiful areas that are affordable and have a decent economy.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,724,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If you want to read a really good article about Cali's issues, check out the current edition of the Economist.

I found it rather intersting that the state is the closest thing to a direct democracy by way of all the initiatives, but became dysfunctional by and large due to the effect that these initiatives ( the law of unintended consequences).

One lawmaker said I cannot support any more initiatives, unless there is an initiative to banish all other initiatives.

It's a good article, especially for someone who knows about squat on California.. It's really a dysfunctional state, maybe in large cause of too many individual 'rights'.
+1 on this. I just finished reading The Economist articles (~9 pages, small type, few photos, most HS graduates in CA couldn't read it). The Economist hit it right on the head when it stated that voters were proud that they cut taxes and then turn around and demand that the services they didn't want to pay for are funded at higher levels than they were before.

Personally, I think a bankruptcy of a state, and CA is very close to it, should require a mandatory constitutional convention to be organized by the state's Federal delegation. If that won't put the fear of god into CA's public and elected officials to clean their act up, I don't know what will.

I'd also be in favor of giving LA county, Santa Barbara County, Ventura County and Orange County to the Chinese for settlement in full of all of our national debt they own (San Diego County can be had for all of our T-Bills). As far as I'm concerned, the majority of the turkeys living in these four counties are responsible for a lot of our debt and the Chinese gov't already has trade ports in Long Beach. It is home to huge defense contractors and Hollywood kooks alike.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM

11,829 posts, read 15,443,002 times
LOL! Well you get an A+ for ingenuity right there!!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,574,374 times
I have a better idea. We nationalize the foreign debt and kick 'em out entirely. No sense giving yet another foothold and open door to legions of illegal aliens.

But I've said this before, I think eventually China is going to call in that debt (China is having a bubble of its own, estimated at double the financial catastrophe of the U.S. housing bubble), and a wimpy D.C. is going to offer them a state in lieu of cash we don't have. We're not really using Alaska or Hawaii anyway, right?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times
As a Californian I would like to put my 2 cents worth in... Not all people from California come here with money. I grew up in a small town in North Central Calif. Yes, there are still small towns! We got snow and cold weather. I lived close to the mountains where it was logging and ranching for our economy. Until everyone started to move in and changed our area, maybe if people would quit moving in to California we would quit moving out! I have now lived in Montana for 23 years and yes, year round. The winters have not scared me away. I love the mountains just like I did in California, I like fishing, camping and winter activities. I am so tired of hearing how bad the Californians are, people are moving in for all different states, not once have I heard anything bad about them."Those darn people from Illinois who move here with all their money and drive up our land prices" I have not tried to change anything in our community, I still live in a small town and I am proud to say I am a 3rd generation born Californian. So next time you bad mouth the Californians ask them where they moved from to get to California!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,803,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper5632 View Post
As a Californian I would like to put my 2 cents worth in... Not all people from California come here with money. I grew up in a small town in North Central Calif. Yes, there are still small towns! We got snow and cold weather. I lived close to the mountains where it was logging and ranching for our economy. Until everyone started to move in and changed our area, maybe if people would quit moving in to California we would quit moving out! I have now lived in Montana for 23 years and yes, year round. The winters have not scared me away. I love the mountains just like I did in California, I like fishing, camping and winter activities. I am so tired of hearing how bad the Californians are, people are moving in for all different states, not once have I heard anything bad about them."Those darn people from Illinois who move here with all their money and drive up our land prices" I have not tried to change anything in our community, I still live in a small town and I am proud to say I am a 3rd generation born Californian. So next time you bad mouth the Californians ask them where they moved from to get to California!
Seems like it's the coast that makes the rest of CA look bad.
I'm Illinois born, but consider CA a place I was raised without choice.
That said, I'm used to the barren deserts, 120+ heat, and crows flying around dead things.
I've been to Montana a few times during truck trips and while the scenery is nice, it's just not my thing.

That said, if anyone wants to know where I'm from, I just lie and say "VEGAS BABY"!!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,261,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Seems like it's the coast that makes the rest of CA look bad.
I'm Illinois born, but consider CA a place I was raised without choice.
That said, I'm used to the barren deserts, 120+ heat, and crows flying around dead things.
I've been to Montana a few times during truck trips and while the scenery is nice, it's just not my thing.

That said, if anyone wants to know where I'm from, I just lie and say "VEGAS BABY"!!
Huh? Then why are you visiting this forum? Just to complain about CA?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,006 times
Default Californians

Well, My husband and I are currently living in California (stationed in Southern Cali due to the Marine Corps) I am originally from Iowa and he is originally from Montana. Everyone of the locals we meet out here thinks of how beautiful Montana is without understanding how cold it can get. If you have never been subjected to the cold, you couldn't imagine how if feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or