Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnjord View Post
Well, My husband and I are currently living in California (stationed in Southern Cali due to the Marine Corps) I am originally from Iowa and he is originally from Montana. Everyone of the locals we meet out here thinks of how beautiful Montana is without understanding how cold it can get. If you have never been subjected to the cold, you couldn't imagine how if feels.
I've been in Montana a few winters, and Christmas the year before last where it hovered around -10 for a few days. Wasn't a big deal to me, although for the people around here who love the 100+ degree days I could see how they might have a problem. Personally I can deal with the cold better than the heat.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM

55 posts, read 180,169 times
Everyone is different, but for the most part people move from California to the Northwest because of the scenery, space, and quiet. There is still plenty to do, but especially for those outdoor enthusiasts, the opportunity to drive 10 minutes instead of 2 hours (in traffic) to do something is very appealing. Montana is also much cheaper than California is (gas, housing, etc.) which is very appealing. Nonetheless, you are right. The two states are very different. Have you been to both?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 AM

98 posts, read 341,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
We know all this. The problem is all too often you guys bring your problems like drug use, goofy kids, and alien ideas along with you. I'm in arkansas. You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting one of you guys. I mean no disrespect but you guys aren't doing us much good. I'd suggest you guys take a long hard look at yourselves and try to fix your own state, but I'm guessing it's probably too late for that.
Who the hell is moving to arkansas from cali? Texas or okc sure I can see but I've been to Arkansas I'd pass... Its way too late to save cali. I love the part about ”alien ideas”

Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM

35 posts, read 117,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You'd find hillbillys not so different from westerners. You'd find either easier to live with than your average californian.
Whoa! How rude! Besides you would never find Ca. (women) that would want to live with a hillbilly... Unless they find the possibility of giving birth in the back of pickup truck with a hunting dog licking their face attractive!
I do not consider Montana folks to be hillbilly!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper5632 View Post
As a Californian I would like to put my 2 cents worth in... Not all people from California come here with money. I grew up in a small town in North Central Calif. Yes, there are still small towns! We got snow and cold weather. I lived close to the mountains where it was logging and ranching for our economy. Until everyone started to move in and changed our area, maybe if people would quit moving in to California we would quit moving out! I have now lived in Montana for 23 years and yes, year round. The winters have not scared me away. I love the mountains just like I did in California, I like fishing, camping and winter activities. I am so tired of hearing how bad the Californians are, people are moving in for all different states, not once have I heard anything bad about them."Those darn people from Illinois who move here with all their money and drive up our land prices" I have not tried to change anything in our community, I still live in a small town and I am proud to say I am a 3rd generation born Californian. So next time you bad mouth the Californians ask them where they moved from to get to California!
Well said.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitplan View Post
Whoa! How rude! Besides you would never find Ca. (women) that would want to live with a hillbilly... Unless they find the possibility of giving birth in the back of pickup truck with a hunting dog licking their face attractive!
Way to generalize. "Hillbillies" for the most part, at least the ones that I know, are great people who are down to earth and would give you the shirt off their backs. Not all CA women are stuck up snobs who think they're better than everyone else. Compared to the liberal morons and illegal aliens I'm surrounded by here in CA, I'll take the "hillbillies" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM

203 posts, read 496,569 times
Quote:
Considering: Hillbilly is a term referring to certain people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia but also the Ozarks.

Hillbilly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jus'say'n....

Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Way to generalize. "Hillbillies" for the most part, at least the ones that I know, are great people who are down to earth and would give you the shirt off their backs. Not all CA women are stuck up snobs who think they're better than everyone else. Compared to the liberal morons and illegal aliens I'm surrounded by here in CA, I'll take the "hillbillies" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I know, I know... I was generalizing. It was a joke. There is a stigma attached to most folks based on where they live, just check out the threads on here about Ca. I am from Ca. as well. I am NOT a liberal or an illegal. For me the answer to the original question would be this: People are fleeing Ca. because they are retiring and can live better in another part of the country (not just Montana) Ca is a HUGE entitlement state...and the people that are not getting aid are the ones paying for it, and we are simply tired that's all. We just want a peaceful little place that we can relax.

I have seen a some threads on here that say we should ''just fix our problems here'' They simply do not understand the scope of the problem otherwise they would know how absurd that statement is.
--Climbing down off my soap box now!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
Aside from aliens, hillbillys, hicks, liberals and political crud, Montana is far from California. I've lived in Montana and have been to many many parts of California. My take on it is that with all the people moving here (not just Californians), Montana is going to become exactly what those moving here are trying to get away from. Our population is been rising steadily, our crime is going up and our land is being turned into ranchettes. The more the population, the more the cost of living is going to go up. So before folks rant on us Montanans for not being "happy" about in influx of people moving in, take a walk in our shoes. For those of us born and raised here, sacrificing to live here and raise our families here, yeah, we are protective of our state. We welcome folks, don't get me wrong but remember that most of us lifelongers have seen our far share of our of staters move in, try to change things then move away. Not all are like that but I've seen my share.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I know, I know... I was generalizing. It was a joke. There is a stigma attached to most folks based on where they live, just check out the threads on here about Ca. I am from Ca. as well. I am NOT a liberal or an illegal. For me the answer to the original question would be this: People are fleeing Ca. because they are retiring and can live better in another part of the country (not just Montana) Ca is a HUGE entitlement state...and the people that are not getting aid are the ones paying for it, and we are simply tired that's all. We just want a peaceful little place that we can relax.

I have seen a some threads on here that say we should ''just fix our problems here'' They simply do not understand the scope of the problem otherwise they would know how absurd that statement is.
--Climbing down off my soap box now!
I fully agree, especially the part about people telling us it's "our own fault", or "fix your own mess". That's unrealistic and blatantly inaccurate. Unfortunately, the wackos in SF and LA pretty much run this state, and have ran it into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Aside from aliens, hillbillys, hicks, liberals and political crud, Montana is far from California. I've lived in Montana and have been to many many parts of California. My take on it is that with all the people moving here (not just Californians), Montana is going to become exactly what those moving here are trying to get away from. Our population is been rising steadily, our crime is going up and our land is being turned into ranchettes. The more the population, the more the cost of living is going to go up. So before folks rant on us Montanans for not being "happy" about in influx of people moving in, take a walk in our shoes. For those of us born and raised here, sacrificing to live here and raise our families here, yeah, we are protective of our state. We welcome folks, don't get me wrong but remember that most of us lifelongers have seen our far share of our of staters move in, try to change things then move away. Not all are like that but I've seen my share.
I understand your position, and when I move I moving there because I have family there, I love what Montana is and don't want it to change. I will fight any attempts at "Californization" probaly more so than your average Montanan, because I've seen the results first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: