U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM

43 posts, read 90,286 times

Advertisements

so when I visited Montana it seemed like EVERYONE that lived there kept EVERYTHING they have received there whole life. Ranchers having cars, etc all over there property and just random things laying all over by there house. I am from Minnesota and in the area I am at the farmers take pride in having there yard look nice and not having vehicles and other things laying all over. Any opinions on why such a difference and to me it was soo nice being back in mn and things were all "cleaned up". I am not trying to offend anyone just curious on why people in Montana live that way I guess...... The land is very pretty out there!

I saw it also in SD so I guess it's not just Montana....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymn View Post
so when I visited Montana it seemed like EVERYONE that lived there kept EVERYTHING they have received there whole life. Ranchers having cars, etc all over there property and just random things laying all over by there house. I am from Minnesota and in the area I am at the farmers take pride in having there yard look nice and not having vehicles and other things laying all over. Any opinions on why such a difference and to me it was soo nice being back in mn and things were all "cleaned up". I am not trying to offend anyone just curious on why people in Montana live that way I guess...... The land is very pretty out there!

I saw it also in SD so I guess it's not just Montana....
yoop in Minnesoa-tah we are so clean yooo betcha!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM

155 posts, read 640,466 times
Where did you visit when you were here?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM

43 posts, read 90,286 times
I was in the North Eastern part by Sidney........does it change on which side of the state you are on?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,205,453 times
It gets way worse, I have actually seen an old school bus outside of Belgrade returning to the Earth from whence it came. The horror!!!

My artist friend thought it was a great subject for a painting!!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM

7,544 posts, read 12,611,276 times
When you can't afford to run out and buy new, you save the old, because part of that old might get used to renew something else. This type of useful recycling is a time-honored rural American tradition, being preserved by thrifty Montanans.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM

11,865 posts, read 15,520,704 times
You ain't seen nothing until you visit my home state of West Virginia, lol.

People there drive down the old 2 lane roads in their trucks and when they see a group of bad boys in orange jumpsuits cleaning the roads, they kick an old washer or dryer out the back and yell "REPENT SINNERS!!!!"

Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,289,465 times
Because Montana has REAL ranchers/farmers who live frugel and save everything "just in case". They like to be prepared and whenever a neighbor needs that doohickey from a 1935 John Deere, he can run out to the field and gladly hand one over.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 PM

213 posts, read 598,741 times
Funny you should mention this... my husband and i drove to Minnesota a few years ago, and we commented on how the farms in ND and MN were so much "neater" than the ones in MT. Although, on susequent trips we noticed that some area of MT were better than others.

I hoestly don't know - I think there have been some fairly good guesses put forth. I also wonder if maybe ND and MN have more affordable recycling options for the junk vehicles and equipment?

My biggest personal pet peeve on this topic is the abundance of junked out old trailer houses in Montana. It seems odd to me that our state has a lot of junk vehicle ordinances that require junk vehicles to be out of public view and funds the removal of abandoned vehicles, but there is apparently no equivalent for junked trailer houses.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,110,428 times
As yet another Mn resident that travels to MT a couple times a year maybe I can shed some light in it from a perspective the OP may under stand.

In MN the Trees and under brush hide all the junk.
It's hard to hide something when you can see for miles compared to the pine swamps.
Or the old bus sunk into the swamp years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or