Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times

Advertisements

I think I offended a few on my latest thread but it stems from this thread-good thread by the way. I would also like to add the rise in our youth and educational system. I have seen first hand the negative impact SOME, not all big city kids bring into small towns. My kids have been here from the start. They are all very close to their classmates, especially the one's who have been here from the start too. They love it when new kids move in, new friends, new idea's ect....but...we have noticed an increase in the crime and bullying with the youth in our town. When it all comes out, it's USUALLY, not always but usually the new kids at fault. This causes animosity between the kids and ends with the new kid's parents being ticked off at the local kids and parents. The big city kids have been exposed to and experienced so much more than our kids. Half the kids in our town are lucky if they get to go into the "big" city of Helena more than once a month. lol, kind of like Hutterite children you could say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,070,661 times
I must agree with all the above thread, BUT mostly I must say that the influence on our children starts first and foremost with unsupervised "baby sitting" done by the television industry. No matter where we live states, urban, rural etc. tv has the most (WORST) influence on our children in todays society. THEN you add in over indulging parents who think it's wrong to whap their crumby mouths or behinds when it really deems necessary. NOTE: I didn't say BEAT your kids, just get their attention that you really mean NO!! Give them jobs, meaning in life. They don't deserve just because they are born, they have to EARN their way through life. Errrrrrrr

Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
I must agree with all the above thread, BUT mostly I must say that the influence on our children starts first and foremost with unsupervised "baby sitting" done by the television industry. No matter where we live states, urban, rural etc. tv has the most (WORST) influence on our children in todays society. THEN you add in over indulging parents who think it's wrong to whap their crumby mouths or behinds when it really deems necessary. NOTE: I didn't say BEAT your kids, just get their attention that you really mean NO!! Give them jobs, meaning in life. They don't deserve just because they are born, they have to EARN their way through life. Errrrrrrr

Oh, absolutely true! I just figured I would get blasted if I said too many parents don't parent since this isn't the parenting board. I have to laugh about the spanking part. I just commented on a thread in the parenting section from a father asking advice about spanking. He was called child abuser, troll ect.....Really? Seriously? For asking for advice about spanking? I wasn't afraid to say I spanked my kids. lol, Didn't beat them, spanked them.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
What's the difference between tossing your kids outside for the day and plopping them in front of the TV? If they go outside and fend for themselves all day, they have to learn common sense. Don't chase the bull; don't poke the hornet's nest; don't start the tractor if you don't know how to run it. Look both ways before you cross the street; check your bike tires before you go on that long ride; take money if you plan to buy a popsicle.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Well said Reziac. My husband blames it on video games. I think it goes beyond that. Parents from big cities are leary of letting kids stay out past dark (we just let ours build campfire in the ring), go out riding bikes (our community looks out for the kids) or go swimming in the river (stay in the shallow part and not while it's running high)

Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Come to think of it, isn't that what most people who want to move here are looking for? Peace of mind, security, safe communities to raise their children in? I don't have a problem letting my boys go out all day long on their bikes (they do call and check in). They go exploring and frog catching and toading but they have to beat Mom to it!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
....................has this Thread Topic been derailed......."do you think"?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM

You're right-I guess I'm dreaming of summer and summer fun

Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Nah, quite on topic... which includes the question, "Is Montana suitable for your kids?" where the answer is "Yes, IF you're willing to let your kids go forth in the world and learn common sense." Or "No, if you're afraid the bogeyman in the barn or the bears in the woods will get them."

Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,626 times
Great Thread! I agree with Elkhunter and Rez. Montana needs to stay close to its heritage, and be very leary of out of state interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana