Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I don't at all doubt Silvertip's status as a native resident, but I think that the Montana Griz quote illustrates something that we've both surely been witnessing firsthand for years: Montana is a NIMBY-magnet like no other (hence the existence of this very thread).
Hey, Silvertip was the one who gave me the stupid spelling test to verify MY status in the first place. That is exactly what I mean by people who get all hot and bothered when you turn on them the very stunt they pulled in the first place.

And speaking of the spell-tester, I still don't see where Montguy is degenerating (I assume that is what you meant by denegrate, missed that one perhaps) this state or it's people as much as he is just pushing back at some of it's ideology. And I don't see much for insults on either side of the conversation...it looked just like that: a conversation where two people don't agree. Are western MTers more sensitive or something? You know, I blame the parents. Spare the rod, spoil the child as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Let's get back on Topic. In case you forget what the Topic is about, go back and read the first post. Stop the argument or I'll close the threat. Any posts not addressing the first post, will be deleted and infractions handed out.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Lately the threads from people wanting to move here to escape big city life, people, crime and live in harmony with nature have been multiplying at an alarming rate. While I'm not going to be one of those "locals" who tell others not to come, I would like to explain something very simple.

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Montana is going to become exactly what you left behind.
Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces. Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.

Yes we have an abundance of "nature", and that nature is going to disappear when you come and build your home in that subdivision.

Yes we have wildlife beyond belief. That subdivion your home was built on just forced whatever wildlife that was living there to relocate to another area in which it's competing with other wildlife and it's chances of survival are slim. No, I am not a "bunny hugger", I hunt, fish ect... No I'm not a "tree hugger", we are a timber industry family.

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining how those wanting to move here should "come in the winter", "have a job lined up", "be prepared for the weather", "driving in winter is not a treat" ect, ect, ect...... Those threads are started so that we don't end up answering every single thread by those wanting to move here and there are new ones everyday.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces? Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
Except for the two very tiny states of Rhode Island and Delaware, both of which have wonderful ocean access to make up for it, this is very true. My state, New York, home to the quintessential urban metro of NYC, also has the largest wilderness area east of the Mississippi River in its Adirondak Forest Preserve.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 PM

26 posts, read 57,403 times
So yes maybe there are a lot of starry-eyed dreamers on city data who post romanticized versions of what they hope Montana is like... But how many of them are actually making the move? Most of them (I hope) are doing far more research than reading forums. The fact that jobs are on the low in MT is the main reason it's nixed from our short list. But, um... The less than welcoming folks on city data kinda turn me off as well. We don't like neighbors so where ever we go we're hoping for space, but I havent yet seen any jokes from other states, wishing people would leave/new people would stop coming.
I guess you'd be happy to hear MT is off our short list. We'll just come for short visits and we'll spend some tourism bucks... Unless that bothers Montanians too...

Old 05-18-2015, 08:39 PM

26 posts, read 57,403 times
Oh and you may be on your high horse because lots of dreamers post on city data but I can assure you MANY MANY people (from the south) do NOT want to MT. They like their warm weather, southern pace, bayous and crawfish. There has been a huge influx to north Louisiana because of jobs (corporate and oil) -- some travel to sea rigs or land rigs in TX; travel for work isn't a Montanian thing. But NEVER has anyone from this region been unwelcoming. There are still areas that are and always will be secluded/country/naturally beatiful. The locals know what they've got, they're proud of it and WELCOMING.
Back to my point: no offense to MT but not everyone wants to move there. Stop assuming that your area is a huge magnet. This forum is mainly used for relocating -- not only to MT. check out other states to see the same/if not more relocation inquires.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmryan720 View Post
Oh and you may be on your high horse because lots of dreamers post on city data but I can assure you MANY MANY people (from the south) do NOT want to MT. They like their warm weather, southern pace, bayous and crawfish. There has been a huge influx to north Louisiana because of jobs (corporate and oil) -- some travel to sea rigs or land rigs in TX; travel for work isn't a Montanian thing. But NEVER has anyone from this region been unwelcoming. There are still areas that are and always will be secluded/country/naturally beatiful. The locals know what they've got, they're proud of it and WELCOMING.
Back to my point: no offense to MT but not everyone wants to move there. Stop assuming that your area is a huge magnet. This forum is mainly used for relocating -- not only to MT. check out other states to see the same/if not more relocation inquires.
I hear you. I have often wondered where I might want to live in retirement. Although I live in Montana now, I have a very strong allure to North Carolina where my Dad's kin is from. Coastal N. Carolina is about as gorgeous as you can get and there are good jobs close by inland. The back bay waters are teeming with incredible seafood that can fill your freezer, and abundant deer and small game are everywhere. Fresh roadside veggie stands, incredible southern food, hospitality second to none and a cost of living much lower than Montana.

You are right- there are other places that are equal to or greater than Montana 'in the eye of the beholder'. Nothing wrong with that. I've seen 'em and thought about them. I have that luxury having been born to a Ohioan mother and Tarheel Daddy.

However Montana is a special place and dear to a lot of people. A lot of people don't want to see this place turned into a CO front range or another CA suburban enclave. I can't blame them. They are right that the cost of living has gone up and jobs are not as abundant as elsewhere. I don't see it as being mean spirited so much as being concerned. Internet forums do a lovely job of accentuating the negatives sometimes and you just can't let that be your judgement of the entire community.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmryan720 View Post
Well, I can tell you from first hand experience that central MS and north eastern LA does NOT welcome northern transplants. We were assigned there for three years each in the Military and while we made a couple of close friends, for the most part we were shunned by the locals (we always lived off post, and sent the kids to local schools initially, but were driven to homeschooling because of limited education quality).

I don't think it's a MT thing to be somewhat suspicious of new move ins and a little less inclined to embrace change, I think it is a small community thing. If you are in a community of 500-1000 residents that has been stable for decades, and (pick you state) transplants start to move in 10-15 families or couples over a year or two, that will create change locally - some good, some bad, some just change, but it will effect the local population and community.

In Sandpoint ID, there are about 25 retired LA cops that have a "pipeline" for other retirees, and the retired LA cop community is growing at about 4-5 a year. Not overwhelming, and for the most part they are there to blend into the community, not change it to Los Angeles, CA, but they do and will have an effect on the local economy, politics, land and house prices, etc., etc., etc.

That being said, we will be in western MT full time next year, and are really looking forward to the new house, the new locations, and the new changes in life (full time retirement!). We have met the neighbors and they are great - sent us Christmas cards here in HI this last year!

However, nobody else can move there after we get there!

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 05-19-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 PM

60 posts, read 62,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You're about 100 years too late for that lifestyle.
Roundup Montana

Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 PM

60 posts, read 62,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Yep, jimj, it's that time of year when we start waving goodbye to the folks who moved here a year ago. Winter is hitting a little early this year and for some odd reason, those same folks who said they could "hack" it are packing up.
I remember 2 years ago when i moved to Roundup MT and some folks started to "warn" me about winter and i just laughed and told them i was from North Dakota and their winter will be like summer to me..lol

Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
I remember 2 years ago when i moved to Roundup MT and some folks started to "warn" me about winter and i just laughed and told them i was from North Dakota and their winter will be like summer to me..lol
Winters in Montana aren't as bad as in North Dakota IMHO. I grew up in Montana and now live in North Dakota and my first winter here was much colder than ones I remember in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana