U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-06-2017, 07:04 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times
Reputation: 1407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
As for me, I've been in your beautiful state, but unlike some former "big city" folks, I was wearing Wrangler jeans, a Resistol hat and Roper brand boots. I was in both Bozeman and Billings. Even took in a day at the Billings Livestock Auction. Montana aka "Big Sky Country" is great, but what you say in this OP is very true. Just hope most people who are thinking about moving there, read and understand this.
Uh-huh, because a person totally needs to play cowboy costume-party in order to be well-received in Billings and Bozeman.

Montana really needs some new direction. All future transplants should take whatever the OP said (I didn't read it again, but I'm familiar with the author) and do/think exactly the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2017, 05:57 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,676 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Uh-huh, because a person totally needs to play cowboy costume-party in order to be well-received in Billings and Bozeman.

Montana really needs some new direction. All future transplants should take whatever the OP said (I didn't read it again, but I'm familiar with the author) and do/think exactly the opposite.
A lot of what the OP said (back in 2011 no less) actually did make sense. It's just that the all too common Mountain West mentality of bringing politics into EVERYTHING as well as some of that classic paranoia reared its ugly head and it turned into yet another political thread of how the liberals, people from "back east" and Californians are ruining everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:09 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Reputation: 4567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Uh-huh, because a person totally needs to play cowboy costume-party in order to be well-received in Billings and Bozeman.

Montana really needs some new direction. All future transplants should take whatever the OP said (I didn't read it again, but I'm familiar with the author) and do/think exactly the opposite.
My opinion.......Montana doesn't need to and shouldn't take a "new direction". As far as "playing cowboy to fit in", it's just the way it is in a "cowboy" state, like Wyoming. I seriously doubt any of the cowboys in Montana like what you stated about "cowboy costume party". But, that is your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:17 AM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Reputation: 4567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
A lot of what the OP said (back in 2011 no less) actually did make sense. It's just that the all too common Mountain West mentality of bringing politics into EVERYTHING as well as some of that classic paranoia reared its ugly head and it turned into yet another political thread of how the liberals, people from "back east" and Californians are ruining everything.
Have to totally agree with NDak15 about folks from "back east" and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,676 posts, read 8,974,848 times
Reputation: 11010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Have to totally agree with NDak15 about folks from "back east" and California.
The problem is that these transplants are a blessing and a curse. I will agree that some have some very bad attitudes and the subsequent rise in cost of living has made some areas unaffordable (even though lack of decent jobs also doesn't help matters). However, the gene pool needed deepening in some areas and there needs to be other ideas. There are certain areas of the state that have some VERY backwards thinking straight out of the 1800s. Not old fashioned thinking, backwards thinking. This mentality of dealing in extremes and thinking EVERYONE from out of state was out to ruin the "Montana way of life" got very old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My opinion.......Montana doesn't need to and shouldn't take a "new direction". As far as "playing cowboy to fit in", it's just the way it is in a "cowboy" state, like Wyoming. I seriously doubt any of the cowboys in Montana like what you stated about "cowboy costume party". But, that is your opinion.
1. Yes, Montana does need a new direction--its economy, its growth model, its politics, you name it. I struggle too much to believe that Montana's population as it currently exists can foment that, so therefore, somehow some way, we need the right kind of transplants to come here and change it. I honestly can't think of another way, not anymore.

2. Montana is a lot of scary things, but it's not a "cowboy state".

3. I actually wasn't trying to denigrate the lifestyle cowboys who do live here (even though they are pretty annoying) with my remark about "cowboy costume-party". I was simply mocking a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:32 PM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Reputation: 4567
Well, when I was in Montana, I really liked it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay and live. If I was to move there, I wouldn't change a thing. But, then again, since I was in pro-rodeo, I love the western way of life, like my wife does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The problem is that these transplants are a blessing and a curse. I will agree that some have some very bad attitudes and the subsequent rise in cost of living has made some areas unaffordable (even though lack of decent jobs also doesn't help matters). However, the gene pool needed deepening in some areas and there needs to be other ideas. There are certain areas of the state that have some VERY backwards thinking straight out of the 1800s. Not old fashioned thinking, backwards thinking. This mentality of dealing in extremes and thinking EVERYONE from out of state was out to ruin the "Montana way of life" got very old.
Bingo. I would add, for the purposes of this thread, that transplants who come to Montana actually are here to embrace the "Montana way of life", whatever they understand that to mean, and basically align themselves with the extreme, politically-charged minority of paranoid natives that most of us roll our eyes about. We need transplants, and we need them badly. It should be clear that I don't oppose the idea of newcomers arriving and being catalysts for change. But the stock that I see showing up here...OMFG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,537,820 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, when I was in Montana, I really liked it. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay and live. If I was to move there, I wouldn't change a thing. But, then again, since I was in pro-rodeo, I love the western way of life, like my wife does.
Alright. But rodeos, agriculture, horses and [insert "Western lifestyle" stereotype here] aren't a way of life for most Montanans...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:51 PM
 
7,335 posts, read 16,605,115 times
Reputation: 4567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Alright. But rodeos, agriculture, horses and [insert "Western lifestyle" stereotype here] aren't a way of life for most Montanans...just saying.
Than, wayyyyy to many big city people have moved there!! Actually, concerning ag, horses, rodeo and, what you refer to as the "stereotype" western lifestyle type people you are talking about, most ranch owners and ranch hands would probably have a few words to say to you.

Montana has a PRCA Circuit of it's own, high school and college rodeo and rodeo scholarships are even given to some high school graduates that excel in the sport.

Obviously, not everyone in Montana is a cowboy, but the State, like Wyoming, parts of Colorado and the Dakota's sure are known as cowboy states. As for me, I love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top