U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,305,013 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I live in West Virginia and have a few questions about Montana Cities.

I have a friend who is from Missoula who now lives here in Clendenin, which is a small bedroom of Charleston, and he seems to think that Charleston is nice, but Missoula is better. Well he has every right to think that, but I just don't see it. So what I'm asking is what makes a Montana city "a city?"

What is Missoula like?
-downtown
-overall neighborhoods
-culture
-architecture
-is there modern buildings?
-retail
-airport
-hospitals
-schools
- and anything that can be added

And plus you can talk about any other town in MT that could be considered a city!

I'm not trying to use this thread as a debate, but as a learning experience for future conversations with my friend!

I'd say charleston is a little bit bigger than Missoula, but they both might have shared characteristics
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

18,097 posts, read 23,177,674 times
First off, Charleston is not "A little bit bigger." Charleston proper is almost twice the size of Missoula. Plus, Charleston has bedroom communitys like Ladson, Goose Creek, etc... They are connected, you can't tell when you leave one and go into another, other than the sign, "Welcome to Goose Creek". Missoula has no bedroom towns attached.

Missoula is located in the Mountains. South Carolina doesn't have any mountains.

Hunting is much different. Mule deer around Missoula weigh over 200 lbs. Deer around Charleston weigh less then 80 lbs. There are also, Elk, Moose, Mountain Goats to hunt.

Charleston area has no state or government land other then some parks that are a few acres in size. Within a few miles of Missoula, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of state or forest land, for everybody to use.

As to the city, I've never lived there so I'll let experts handle that part.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-10-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
First off, Charleston is not "A little bit bigger." Charleston proper is almost twice the size of Missoula. Plus, Charleston has bedroom communitys like Ladson, Goose Creek, etc... They are connected, you can't tell when you leave one and go into another, other than the sign, "Welcome to Goose Creek". Missoula has no bedroom towns attached.

Missoula is located in the Mountains. South Carolina doesn't have any mountains.

Hunting is much different. Mule deer around Missoula weigh over 200 lbs. Deer around Charleston weigh less then 80 lbs. There are also, Elk, Moose, Mountain Goats to hunt.

Charleston area has no state or government land other then some parks that are a few acres in size. Within a few miles of Missoula, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of state or forest land, for everybody to use.

As to the city, I've never lived there so I'll let experts handle that part.
LOL I'm talking about Charleston, WV

but thanks for your reply

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,688,932 times
Charleston, WV does have mountains!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM

18,097 posts, read 23,177,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Charleston, WV does have mountains!
Wooops. read it too fast. But you still don't have mountains. Just hills.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 PM

955 posts, read 1,281,356 times
Thinking of the South Carolina city when Charleston is mentioned is an easy enough transference / mistake because Charleston WV is not that well known. I myself initially thought of small Charles Town WV instead, which is still another different kettle of fish.

Missoula by itself is a bit bigger than Charleston WA, 70,000 population to 50,000; but the census definitions of their metro areas puts Charleston metro at 300K while Missoula metro is at 110k. Missoula city is about twice as dense as Charleston city but Charleston metro is more than twice as dense as Missoula metro because there is more population in the nearby area.

They might have a fair number of shared characteristics, but I can't say about Charleston WV firsthand and won't try to find out or say much of the detail and how they compare. I've been in WV just a little but know some of the neighboring and nearby states very well. I'd guess Missoula compares more closely with Morgantown WV in size and character than Charleston though nearby West Virginia State University might give some of the impact on the Charleston region that University of Montana has on Missoula.

The main statistical difference I saw quickly between Charleston city and Missoula city was the urban crime rate which was listed as much higher in Charleston.

Charleston may have hills nearby but does it have mountains nearby? I know there are eastern "mountains" an hour or more away. Missoula has a higher town elevation and much bigger mountains directly on the edge of town.

It might be that much of what folks like in Missoula can be found in Charleston or nearby but different folks may prefer one over the other. Probably where you were born and which you know better would affect that substantially.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,611,304 times
Aside from the crime rate the other statistical difference is that Missoula is 2x as expensive as Charleston, and western Montana as a whole is probably about 3x as expensive as WV as a whole.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the info guys and girls, but I'm asking more on the lines of what Missoula is like as a city. What I mean is, does it look and feel like an urban city with a full downtown, high end shopping, and a diverse community

I'm not trying to compare Charleston with Missoula, but trying to find reasons why one is better than the other.

Charleston has righ around 50k, but that is very misleading because like NW Crow said, the metro is around 300k and seems bigger. Charleston has a great downtown with a great skyline for a city its size, and also a great high end shopping and dining area in the Village District that takes up about 10 city blocks in downtown.

Also Charleston has some very nice neighborhoods and schools. Plus Charleston probably has more history because of its location.

Some negatives about Charleston is the crime rate, but that is only in some communities and is because Charleston has a urban culture unlike other WV towns. Another is that people are moving out of the city proper and taking up homes in the suburban communities between Charleston and Huntington.

and even though our mountains are small, they are still mountains!

"The Mountain State"

Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM

3,777 posts, read 4,330,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Thanks for the info guys and girls, but I'm asking more on the lines of what Missoula is like as a city. What I mean is, does it look and feel like an urban city with a full downtown, high end shopping, and a diverse community

I'm not trying to compare Charleston with Missoula, but trying to find reasons why one is better than the other.
Chriscross, surely you realize that "better" is a relative term? What you're looking for is to win an argument, based on your own perception of a good city, Eastern style. And it appears you've already decided that Charleston (which I haven't visited) is "better." I'm sure it is, from your own perspective. But if you have ever been out west you'll know that western cities are different--the width of the streets, the straight street grid, the very definition of what constitutes an "old" building, etc. The closest city with a somewhat eastern, urban feel to it would be Seattle, IMO, but that doesn't mean Missoula isn't a pleasant city in its own right, western style.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM

2,849 posts, read 2,341,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Chriscross, surely you realize that "better" is a relative term? What you're looking for is to win an argument, based on your own perception of a good city, Eastern style. And it appears you've already decided that Charleston (which I haven't visited) is "better." I'm sure it is, from your own perspective. But if you have ever been out west you'll know that western cities are different--the width of the streets, the straight street grid, the very definition of what constitutes an "old" building, etc. The closest city with a somewhat eastern, urban feel to it would be Seattle, IMO, but that doesn't mean Missoula isn't a pleasant city in its own right, western style.

Couldn't agree more Clark Fork Fantast;

An impressive sky line in Montana is supplied by the mountains and we don't want buildings blocking the view.

A western city won't have the high rises you see in eastern cities. Some towns like Billings have some 20+ stories, but you won't see the 100 story buildings.
A robust downtown to us means that most of the stores are still in business, and you can find tractor or truck parts on the weekend.

Bozeman, Missoula and most of the tourist traps have the "quaint shops" and coffee houses selling weird concoctions and calling it coffee for $6 or $8 bucks a cup, there are places selling "art", some of the trendy stuff, and the bars are usally busy on the weekends. We don't have a lot of clubs, but the bars sell booze and have bands so it is basically the same thing except you will more likely have a choice of Budweiser or Miller instead of dos equis, and our tastes tend to drift more to Jack Daniels and ditch instead of an appletini.

We have some of the trendy cafes and restaraunts that sell bites of overpriced "what the heck is that?", but there are a lot of good places that sell real food in good portions that are much better.

Once you leave the college towns, and get away from the tourist traps around the parks, we are pretty normal, down to earth people who work for a living and don't worry about what is "in" at the moment.
Some of our smaller towns have only one movie house, and it only shows movies on the weekends, and people will drive for miles to see it.
If there is a dance or rodeo, you will call people in from hundreds of miles away. Sometimes there is a carneval or circus coming through town, and the folks will come and just have fun.
There are concerts, some professional performers, some not so professional, but a wide variety of music is usally attended by a wide variety of people.

We entertain ourselves and don't have a large industry catering to those who must be entertained by lights, artificial attractions and high prices. We can have fun getting together for a barbeque, or celebrating a wedding. We don't need the society page to tell us if we had fun, we know we did.

If you want trendy, boutique, overpriced, overcrowded, with traffic jams, stay in the east.

We have our own style and life here that pleases us.
You are comparing apples and oranges. The places are very different to the point of it being very difficult to find actual points that can be compared between the two.

I don't like Missoula, (politics and too crowded), and have never visited Charlestown WV, but from what I have seen from being stationed around the east, the two cities might as well be on different planets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana