Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 89,465 times

Advertisements

oh sweetie, you just trot your little 18 yr old worldly self on down to Florida. I'm sure you will have the perfect life there, at least until you...........oh never mind. Come back to this forum in say, 10 yrs. When you are raising kids in that "diverse culture" with all that drug and violence exposure. Good luck w/ all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
I lived in Montana for 16 years so I think I can say plenty about it. I actually do like Billings but I've never lived there. I did live in Bozeman when I went to college. It is a good college but the two recommendations I give to anyone is to live and work on campus all four years. Bozeman is a very pretentious, anti-student town. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I stayed an extra year in Montana after that and moved in 2007 and haven't looked back since. I left because the wages were absolutely dismal and the cost of living was horrendous. The mentality was that you should be grateful to live in Montana and you sacrifice to live there. I don't mind some sacrifice but I didn't take a vow of poverty when I graduated from college. The main reason I have left is this mentality. This state is romanticized way too much not only by people from out of state but by the residents. They like to think it's such a unique place to live when in reality it isn't that special. So there is my rant and I'm sure I'll be offending some people here.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM

672 posts, read 789,496 times
The grass is always greener on the other side. Well, since there is little grass in Montana, perhaps it really is greener, but still.

Florida is great when a person is on vacation. Just try living there year round, during the months that you can set your watch by the time that it starts to rain every day for several hours of torrential down pour, during the months that it is so hot and humid that a person goes from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car to their air conditioned place of work or school and then reverses that at the end of the day. When the snow birds and vacationers clog up the roads from October to May. Where the hurricanes and tropical storms and depressions roll in from June to September. Bugs that they call Palmetto bugs, but are really just huge flying cockroaches. Alligators. Cotton mouths and coral snakes.

It's a good thing that we don't all like the same things.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Fire ants. Don't forget the fire ants. More people are killed annually by fire ants than grizzly's.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,512 times
... and don't forget the pythons.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:08 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
you love the Dells?? I thought that was an outdoor thing-if you don't like the outdoors then you will really hate Bozeman I am thinking-that is why people live here. And they are pretty darn happy.

Why don't you move to FL now-live in your families house, go to what ever JC is close-I mean you are a very miserable person in MT-I predict you will not finish college at MSU-leave now. You have the resources to go to a fairly expensive state school, seems like you should have the resources to escape your Montana misery-

you come across as a chicken s**t, pampered 18 year old too scared to make a change. Sorry to be harsh but but get a life you like NOW
Having the resources to attend a college does not mean a person has the resources to leave. I was able to attend MSU by taking out student loans and working to barely make ends meet. There was no way I could have moved to another state at 18, whether I was around family or not. When you are in college you have very limited options to make a change. Think before you make an assumption like that CTC.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobbles View Post
This! Thank you! And yes, the cultural diversity is ****-all worthless. Whiteys and Indians, maybe the occassional Korean. I want a melting pot of cultures, and Montana certainly doesn't fit the bill.
To each his own. Cultural diversity only exists due to homogeneity for ages. Isolation is what creates diversity through the formation of unique cultures. Diversity ultimately destroys itself into meaningless caricatures. What's this with the "whitey" stuff? Seriously, you're 18?

I get where you're coming from at your age. You're still very much in the group-identity state of emotional development and appropriately. I've lived in Southern California, in New York, in London.

In the end, give me wide-open spaces, freedom, isolation, homogeneity. I love it.

It's interesting you chose the Dells as a place to love. You like big amusement parks, eh? I could see why you'd like Florida. Might want to try the Orlando area and get year-round tickets.

And FYI, Wisconsin mirrors Montana in demographics in many ways. Perhaps there's something else eating at you.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
Tad Kachynsky explained "cultural diversity" rather well in his Manifesto. All the "diversity" degenerates to zilch while climbing up social ladder and embracing generic "middle class", lawn moving values. 18 years old is too young to understand that black/yellow & purple people of equal social/wealth standing with you have just about the same "culture" as yours because their goals (and most importantly "opportunities") are about the same. USA is extremely uniform country cultural "diversity wise" (don't let variety of skin colors to fool you) because you got to, you absolutely must conform in order to have a chance on climbing up the corporate ladder (or staying afloat and fed). American "culture" nowadays is centrally created and distributed by a handful of "entities" to passive consumers. No diversity there. The remaining "diversity" is not really diversity but social class/income differences. For example, "cultural" differences between Montana Indians living on reservations and Kentucky trailer park dwellers are too miniscule to discuss. I believe you've got plenty of social class differences in Montana to explore, that's all the diversity you'll get.

Montana's stereotypical identity was forged for better or worse by active "cultural agents" not by passive consumers of entertainment and dining choices. That's maybe why people cling to that legacy regardless of them being your average American of a corresponding tax bracket. Anyway, you should realize that your longing for entertainment and amusement doesn't fit well with "diversity". Why? Because, nation of diversity consumers don't create diversity

Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 AM

194 posts, read 565,664 times
The Grass is always greener on the other side. Fact.

Florida? LOL. You couldn't pay me to go back to that septic tank.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,970 times
As a native Montanan, I could do Florida if I got paid enough. Chicks sure as hell beat anything we've got up here cept liberal minded, smelly hippys with nappy hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana