U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM

200 posts, read 228,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwandering View Post
I respect your post. I just hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a political argument.
I have no intention of that. I do however think it is beyond destructive and highly divisive to hear or see "right wing" lumped in with "conservative, "Christian", "extremist", "racist" or "nazi", when it is a complete fabrication perpetuated on a susceptible public. College students are led to believe Hitler was a Republican because he was a "right wing extremist and racist"???

I have no room for racism or any other "groupings" of any differences normally exploited by the slick tongued on the unsuspecting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 PM

443 posts, read 404,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
Will possibly be moving to the Libby/Kalispell area from the midwest. I've heard from a few folks that racism/white supremacy is a particular problem in NW Montana/Idaho. Do you think as a black man in an interracial marriage that I'd have a rough time in these places?
You very well may. Kalispell has become the destination du jour for white supremacists.
High Country Extremism: Patriot Games | Media Matters for America

Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,114,211 times
I'm moving from SoCal back to Montana. And a while back I realised there's one thing about SoCal that I'll miss... seeing black faces. A bit of human beauty that's rare in MT.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM

451 posts, read 267,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
Having lived in both places, I would say yes, sadly. If you want more acceptance, consider the university towns of Missoula or Bozeman if at all possible. Also, do you realize that most of Libby is a Superfund cleanup site? I would never move there with children, knowing what I know now about the asbestos problem.
On a side note, as a former licensed asbestos abatement supervisor, I would not hesitate to live in Libby from the envirinmental standpoint. Why? I am not a smoker. It is a proven fact that 99% of all Mesothelioma and lung cancer cases attributed to asbestos exposure occurred in smokers. 99%... Why? Because nicotine has the effect of paralyzing the bronchial hairs that guard the lungs from intake of contaminants. The same reason a person begins coughing when they attempt to quit smoking is what keeps them from asbestos-related disease. Just thought prospective Libby residents might want some reality on the asbestos issue.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
On a side note, as a former licensed asbestos abatement supervisor, I would not hesitate to live in Libby from the envirinmental standpoint. Why? I am not a smoker. It is a proven fact that 99% of all Mesothelioma and lung cancer cases attributed to asbestos exposure occurred in smokers. 99%... Why? Because nicotine has the effect of paralyzing the bronchial hairs that guard the lungs from intake of contaminants. The same reason a person begins coughing when they attempt to quit smoking is what keeps them from asbestos-related disease. Just thought prospective Libby residents might want some reality on the asbestos issue.
Very interesting, and biologically not at all surprising. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM

17,389 posts, read 21,443,816 times
This thread has wandered about as far away from the topic as I'm going to let it. Let's get back on track please.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:46 AM

A question that occurs to me... there probably aren't enough blacks in MT to be statistically significant, but I'm wondering if there might be more blacks in the NW than elsewhere in the state (discounting the Air Force Base at Great Falls, which I'd assume has the highest percentage due to all the southern airmen). Would be interesting to do a by-county map of such stats, just to see. Hmm, maybe when someone has time, a little foray thru C-D's stats.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
A question that occurs to me... there probably aren't enough blacks in MT to be statistically significant, but I'm wondering if there might be more blacks in the NW than elsewhere in the state (discounting the Air Force Base at Great Falls, which I'd assume has the highest percentage due to all the southern airmen). Would be interesting to do a by-county map of such stats, just to see. Hmm, maybe when someone has time, a little foray thru C-D's stats.
I had a little down time, so I went ahead and created a map. Hope this helps.

Purple = 0.5% or more
Red = 0.3% - 0.4%
Orange = 0.2%
Yellow = 0.0% - 0.1%
Gray = None

Source: Montana Trend Report 1: State and Counties

Percentage of Blacks by County, 2010 Census
0.2% Beaverhead
0.2% Big Horn
0.1% Blaine
0.3% Broadwater
0.3% Carbon
0.1% Carter
1.2% Cascade
0.1% Chouteau
0.3% Custer
0.2% Daniels
0.3% Dawson
0.4% Deer Lodge
0.1% Fallon
0.2% Fergus
0.2% Flathead
0.3% Gallatin
0.2% Garfield
0.1% Glacier
0.0% Golden Valley
0.1% Granite
0.3% Hill
0.1% Jefferson
0.0% Judith Basin
0.3% Lake
0.3% Lewis and Clark
0.1% Liberty
0.1% Lincoln
0.2% Madison
0.2% McCone
0.1% Meagher
0.3% Mineral
0.4% Missoula
0.2% Musselshell
0.1% Park
0.0% Petroleum
0.0% Phillips
0.1% Pondera
0.1% Powder River
1.0% Powell
0.0% Prairie
0.2% Ravalli
0.1% Richland
0.1% Roosevelt
0.3% Rosebud
0.1% Sanders
0.2% Sheridan
0.3% Silver Bow
0.1% Stillwater
0.1% Sweet Grass
0.0% Teton
0.5% Toole
0.0% Treasure
0.2% Valley
0.3% Wheatland
0.0% Wibaux
0.6% Yellowstone

0.4% State of Montana

Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
I had a little down time, so I went ahead and created a map. Hope this helps.
Nice job! Interesting to say the least. Seems to be pretty much "where the jobs are" for the most part.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 PM

17,389 posts, read 21,443,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Nice job! Interesting to say the least. Seems to be pretty much "where the jobs are" for the most part.
Or, more of the manufactruing, service, or Blue Collar type work. The couties that are primarily ranching, farming, etc, seem to have zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana