Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article: Hilliard Rises from Practice Squad to NFL Backup | Flathead Beacon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,266 times
Default in the spirit of full disclosure

Although I have never witnessed hostility towards blacks in Kalispell, it may not be meaningful because black/white encounters in Kalispell are very rare due to the small number of blacks. I think many people choose Kalispell as a place to live because of the absence of cultural elements that are associated with blacks and cities such as rap music and pants worn at knee level. Yes, this association is a generalization, and it does not enable or condone prejudging people. However, I have yet to observe the combination of cowboy boots and purposely-exposed underwear, and I am grateful about this. It would be wrong, however, to believe that personal taste in music, fashion, etc. makes people a threat.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM

297 posts, read 794,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
Will possibly be moving to the Libby/Kalispell area from the midwest. I've heard from a few folks that racism/white supremacy is a particular problem in NW Montana/Idaho. Do you think as a black man in an interracial marriage that I'd have a rough time in these places?
Having lived in both places, I would say yes, sadly. If you want more acceptance, consider the university towns of Missoula or Bozeman if at all possible. Also, do you realize that most of Libby is a Superfund cleanup site? I would never move there with children, knowing what I know now about the asbestos problem.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
One of my first career moves after University was representing radio stations in Kalispell,Fargo,Bozeman for four years I lived in Kalispell.It is more Americana than
Oakland,California or Detroit.
Gee what is wrong with Florida?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 PM

93,170 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
One of my first career moves after University was representing radio stations in Kalispell,Fargo,Bozeman for four years I lived in Kalispell.It is more Americana than
Oakland,California or Detroit.
Gee what is wrong with Florida?
What is that suppose to mean?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
I am a teacher in the Flathead Valley. I currently have 5 black students. Each family is mixed race. While students use it as a point of comparison, it "seems" not much different in their minds from "that guy with the beard" or the "lady with the blonde hair". Our senior class president is one of those students.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
I agree that the average long term or native Montanan will not cause problems for an interracial couple, but sadly, there are white supremacist groups who have moved to Montana and northern Idaho specifically to create white supremacist communities. The "Creativity Movement" is neo-Nazi and located in Kalispell, Missoula, Helena, Billings, Laurel, and Miles City. The "League of the South" is located in Big Fork. Last September a white supremacist group called Montana Creators targeted a native American student center on campus and cars in Missoula with stickers and flyers. White supremacist group may be behind stickers, flyers in Missoula | KAJ18.com | Kalispell, Montana

A new group, called "Pioneer Little Europe" is based in Kalispell. People from other states are moving there to create their own all white "homeland". They are posting on white supremacist web sites, job listings, real estate, and give guided tours of the area to encourage other white supremacists to move to the Kalispell area.
Here is another article from the Billings Gazette. Jan 24, 2012
Group discusses spikes in Montana white supremacist activity

In December I heard this report on the radio, reported by WBUR Boston news station.
You can listen here:
Montana’s Flathead Valley Sees Influx Of Extremist Groups | Here & Now

Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
Will possibly be moving to the Libby/Kalispell area from the midwest. I've heard from a few folks that racism/white supremacy is a particular problem in NW Montana/Idaho. Do you think as a black man in an interracial marriage that I'd have a rough time in these places?
As mentioned here, there are nutjobs everywhere. Just be respectful and be yourself. The vast majority of DECENT people could care less what color you are. I've never been to Montana, but it's definitely a state I would like to visit at some point.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
I really doubt any troubles... and if you do, there are definitely more people who would have your back than there are that would cause trouble. Most Montanans support the good people, and are colorblind for the most part. We have a large military presence, and lots of us have worn green and appreciate our "green" brothers and sisters.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM

203 posts, read 496,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I really doubt any troubles... and if you do, there are definitely more people who would have your back than there are that would cause trouble. Most Montanans support the good people, and are colorblind for the most part. We have a large military presence, and lots of us have worn green and appreciate our "green" brothers and sisters.

Good luck.
What does the "green" mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana