U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM

11,856 posts, read 15,503,000 times

Advertisements

I don't think wolves would be a problem when 500,000 West Virginians get here. Once the porches are up, the wolves will be sleeping on them.

Just step over them when you want to get in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,448,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
ElkHunter, all gray wolves are the same species, period. The ones reintroduced are the same subspecies that lived in the Rockies before. This Canadian gray wolf argument is a fallacy created by extreme hunting groups and ranching interests. You look at any literature on wolves not written by those groups and you can see that is the same species. The wolf in Canada and the Northern Rockies is the same as the Eurasian wolf, the Mexican wolf, the Arabian wolf, the Indian wolf, and the Great Plains wolf. The wolves selected were the same as the ones that inhabited the Lower 48. Last time I checked wolves didn't recognize international boundaries. Like I mentioned before, this is like saying an Idaho elk vs. a Wyoming or Montana elk. They cross state boundaries pretty freely. Look at Yellowstone.
Fallacy created by extreme hunting groups? Wow. They sure did a good job because it's all documented by the state. All dogs are exactly alike, right? There is no difference between a weiner dog and a rotweiler. Same dog.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,097,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
A:
Besides, I don't classify all people who want to move here as quote "horrible outsiders " end quote, I classify them as people. If they wish to come here, fit in, work hard, raise their families and embrace the traditions of Montana and make a posative contribution to the community, I welcome them.

Funny. you sure do classify them as such.

If they wish to impose a foreign way of thinking on us po' dum hicks, or try to sell us a bill of goods, then yes, they can stay in Wyoming or Minnesota or whereever they come from. We have enough of those already.
Act like a hick get treated like a hick.

Did you know we have elk in MN too.

What your bitching about is happening in every state.

Outsiders moving in.

Does everyone who moves to MT have to look and act like John Wayne but have a bigger chip on their shoulder to fit in?

I'll fit in just fine in MT,,
I drive a diesel truck with a dog or 2.
(I own 3 of them)(trucks)
ride horses
knows how to pull caves, etc.
hunt, fish
can swing a hammer
operate heavy equipment

and I know the difference between bull **** and horse stuff and I'm not afraid to say so..

I will not wear cowboy boots nor a cowboy hat.
but will carry a gun on an occasion.

Stand up for what you believe in, right or wrong.

what is a timber wolf?

SIZE

HEIGHT: 26 - 33 inches.
LENGTH: 6.5 ft. (including tail)
WEIGHT: Can weigh up to 175 lb.

MATURITY: Two years old.
MATING: January through March
GESTATION: 9 weeks.
# OF YOUNG : One to eleven pups.

HABIT: Most active at night, but may be seen during the day. Hunt in packs.
DIET: Small animals and birds. When in packs, will hunt sheep and other large animals.
LIFESPAN: N/A SCIENTIFIC NAME

FAMILY: Other common name: "Gray Wolf". Family: "Canidae". Species classification: "Canus lupis". Related to the jackal, coyote, and domestic dog.

No one ever said they will always live peacefully next to man, I believe a rancher should be able to kill then if they are threatening his stock. they did occupied MT. before MT. was MT. so who is the outsider trying to force out a native species.

as for the thistle blame the bird seed mgf and migrating birds not outsiders moving in..

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-30-2011 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Let the word filter do it's job.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,572,580 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but when I read the title, I thought, "Define 'outsider'".
(Every Native American reading this thread title must be shaking their head).

Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,287,803 times
Seriously? Do we need to get into the whole "wolf & Native Americans were here first bit"? Some people need to get over it. You do realize it is the year 2011 right? Outsider is refering to out of state and by that meaning out of staters who cruise through Montana once or twice during a lovely trip in the summer and decide "Oh, we want to live here". The same people who spend a couple of weeks here get online and ask Montanans "What would be the best place for me?" How the heck do we know? Or they say "We just loved Montana when we drove through Yellowstone and Glacier and now we want to move there" and "We just want to get out of the crime ridden pollution stricken big city and enjoy the simple life of Montana". It would be like me who has lived in Montana my whole life jumping on the Hawaii forum and asking "What area in Hawaii suits me best?". How is a stranger going to know what is best for me? Then, when we get someone asking for advice on here telling us that the winters are no problem for them, they have been in two feet of snow and we let them know that's what they will be shoveling off of their car every morning, they get defensive. We try to make it as real as possible but some folk's just can't believe how hard it can be. Some years its easy and wonderful, others not so much but you won't hear me complain. It's the end of July 2011 and I was riding my horse through three feet of snow this evening. Nothing like it and I love it. I also know a couple who moved here last fall and the wife would no more step foot in snow in July than the man in the moon. If you can't enjoy it, why live here? If you aren't willing to sacrifice, why live here? If you aren't will to go without to live in the best state, why live here? Those are the questions I would like all the folks from out of state to answer. Not, "Is there a Walmart close by? or "Is there any jobs shoveling horse stuff?" To me, that's a bit degrading.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 PM

11,856 posts, read 15,503,000 times
I moved here sight unseen last year, no questions asked. My wife visited Montana over 30 years ago.

We love it, love the folks, seems like an old glove.

But then again- this was the taken in the county just east of us in WV in 2010.. We're kinda use to harsh environments and small towns and drives and what not, lol.

Last town I lived in- Bridgeport WV. Not a piece of flat ground, not a straight road for many, many miles, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-30-2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 01:24 AM

837 posts, read 1,282,906 times
I've lived in a number of states and read a number of these forums. Nowhere else but in Montana are the posters as defensive of a state, its land, and its way of life. And with good reason: it's a truly fantastic place. Fact is, a truly fantastic place doesn't stay a secret for long.

The debate of "outsiders" "ruining" the state has, as someone pointed out earlier, been played out again and again in this forum. Yes, it's 2011. In the twenty-first century, we have a tool called the Internet on which people worldwide can exchange information in seconds. This is both a fabulously useful, and insidiously dangerous, tool: depending upon whom is communicating with whom, absolutely incorrect and often contradictory information can be tossed around. I don't think it's our place to criticize people who come earnestly to CD to learn about Montana. No, we can't divine everything they need or are looking for; also we can't divine their intentions in contemplating a move. I wish CD were around when I moved to Montana -- well, maybe not, because I wouldn't have wanted to get flamed as the "outsider" who will "ruin" the state. Face it, it's not the best introduction.

Six years' resident in MT, and did I ever feel like an outsider? No. Did I ever meet someone who railed against me and my "outsider" compatriots for ruining the state? No. I have left to live abroad for a year, and while I value this experience, I miss MT an awful lot. A painfully awful lot. I am not an outsider in MT, and although I grew up elsewhere and have lived all over the US, I know MT is home for me. I will return.

Let's also keep in mind that, no matter how long one's family has lived in MT, at one time they were the "outsiders" moving in; it's the nature of the United States, and of the world. Imagine how awesome Montana would be if nobody EVER lived there!

Respect each other. No one wants to be referred to as an outsider. Plus, it's easier to catch flies with honey.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 69,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
"Define 'outsider'".
(Every Native American reading this thread title must be shaking their head).
They're not native, either.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,572,580 times
I'm not taking any side in this argument, I'm just pointing out that over time, pretty much everyone is considered an "outsider" and changes at one time that are thought to be new, like logging, tourism or mining, are considered a tradition eventually. I'm not happy about places being paved over to build McMansions with a view, but there were a lot of old-timers who sold land for that and construction workers who were happy to have those jobs, too. I've lived here my whole life and have seen the state go through tremendous changes.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,846,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
.....Join us in preservation of the best of the state, part of which is the people who have made their own lives here.......
Your sentiment above is the most sage, constructive, and mature that I have read on this thread thus far. You represent the spirit of Montana with great style and humility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or