Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM

14 posts, read 72,867 times

Advertisements

We like your area and would like to talk to you if you live in or around Dillon. Just want to pick your brain about what you like about Beaverhead / Dillon, what you don't like, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,105,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frick55 View Post
We like your area and would like to talk to you if you live in or around Dillon. Just want to pick your brain about what you like about Beaverhead / Dillon, what you don't like, etc.
......It would be helpful if you could provide some additional info .....your inquiry is way too non-specific as it stands:

Are you thinking of wanting to move here, ...or
Are you just thinking of vacationing here?
Are you a family or single?
If you are thinking of moving here,....
Have you ever been to the Dillon area? or
Have you ever been to Montana?
If not, don't even think about moving here until you visit here:
once in August and once in January---for a week minimum each time.
Are you aware of the type of weather the Dillon area has from Oct to May?
Do you have a job?
If you do think you want to move here, would you be looking for work in this area.?
If so, are you aware of the GREAT difficulity of finding work here? And I mean it is difficult!!
What are your skills or qualifications?
Would you be able to come here with at least (6) months worth of cash to enable you to live until you find work.....and also have enough money back to het you back to GA, if that ends up being what you have to do.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Default Thank you for your reply

Thank you, Montana Griz, for your reply. Since you live in the Bitterroot Valley with your Brittany Spaniel and you winter in Texas, Arizona and possibly GA (where I am), you own a '96 Jag (really? in Montana?)
and you are in your "twilight years" with all due respect, I decline to answer the ten questions ( count'em TEN) you posted in your reply. So, IF YOU LIVE IN THE DILLON/ BEAVERHEAD VALLEY AREA, I WOULD LIKE TO TALK WITH YOU.
Montana Griz, if you are the grilling enthusiast your posts reflect, the best advice I can give you is: get a BIG GREEN EGG. Nothing beats the BGE!. Expensive, but worth every penny! You'll sneer at gas grills once you have one.
Sorry, I'm not a "smiley" person.

P.S. Don't worry, I won't move in next door to you!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM

214 posts, read 599,687 times
Frick, first of all you need to relax if any of us are going to answer your questions. We definately don't want any uptight east coasters moving here. Since Montana folks are a forgiving people, why don't you collect your thoughts and start over again.

Last edited by Jbechtel; 07-29-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Default Relaxed in GA

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as an "uptight east coaster". I'm really pretty laid back. I just wasn't expecting the forum "watchdog" interrogation-style reply to what I thought was a fairly non-threatening request. Maybe MG needs to get his hackles in check. I can certainly understand the overprotective stance to preserve the God-smacking beauty and awe inspiring natural environment that Montana offers to those with the soul to understand and appreciate it. I'm not trying to take it away from anyone, I just want to stand next to you and admire it with you.

I've been reading this forum since May of '09 after our first trip to your beautiful state. I wanted to get a feel for the area and it's people. I am real familiar with the "don't move here because you won't like it" attitude projected by some of the senior members to new posters and I also know that most Montanans don't feel that way. I certainly didn't get that impression on both of our trips to Western Montana. Everyone we met was very, very friendly and many even said we should move here if we didn't like the South. In our two vacations there, we have been to every major city in West Montana and all the smaller towns in between. I met up with two of my sisters in Butte and Whitefish on different visits. Another sister lives in Mobridge, SD. I would like to live closer to my family so we can visit each other since we are now in our 50's and 60's.

As an Air Force brat, I grew up in Maine (Westover AFB), Nebraska (Offutt AFB) and South Dakota (Ellsworth AFB). I also served active duty on the highest peak in the middle of the Mediterranean on Mallorca, Spain. I know what kind of winters you have. I used to Trick or Treat in two feet of snow. Doesn't scare me - we like the snow.

My family and I are desperately trying to get out of here - terrible schools (heard about the Atlanta Schools cheating scandal?), worse traffic, suffocating summer heat, rude, indifferent and arrogant residents, plummetting home values and losing income for 5 years straight.
We are having to short sell the house because our income has dropped 40% and my wife has been struggling against cancer and the bills that come with it since 2008. We are selling almost all of our furniture and cars and preparing to start over from scratch. My daughter is in 7th grade and her teachers don't teach, they pass 'em through. She deserves a decent education and we all deserve to live in a nice community.

We are a TEAM and we do whatever it takes to survive and move on. We don't really care what other people think of us. We would like to make friends with our neighbors and a friend of ours is a friend for life, but if they want to be judgemental, then we don't need them.

Do you live in the Dillon area? Your profile only says Western Montana.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:52 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,105,889 times
......Just a couple of points of information to possibly help clarify this situation:.....

If your 1st post contained the type and quantity of info that you put in your 3rd post, I would not have had to ask the questions that you thought were "invading your privacy".

Since you've been reading this Montana Forum for 26 months, I am surprised you didn't notice that probably over 90% of all the brief (2 sentence), very generalized, broad-based inquiries are from people who haven't done their homework, have never visited Montana, have no specific knowledge about the weather or the employment & wage situation, etc,etc,etc & think moving here will be the amswer to all their desires and solve all their problems.....I think you have to agree, your 1st post didn't provide much info and/or ask any specific questions...........Thus my list of (10) random questions.

Even though I don't live in the Dillon area, I am extremely familiar with the area, have floated the Beaverhead River many, many times, have hunted and camped in various areas in the Beaverhead Nat'l Forest, know several residents in the area, know school teachers there (my own daughter has been a teacher in this area for 27 years) and I have had business dealings with business people and companies in the Dillon area over the last 34 years.

I think your response to me was rude, condescending and reflected a know-it-all, cocky attitude. Just MHO of course.

Therefore, since I don't live in Dillon or that immediate area, any information that I could provide would not appear to be of any value to you.

Oh....two more points of information:

Yes (to answer your question), I have a 1996 Jag XJS 2+2 Convertible with 44,000 original miles that I bought in Jacksonville, FL (just 350 miles from Acworth), about 4 years ago for my 75th birthday.

And IMHO, you might consider using a few "smilely" faces occassionally.......maybe then you might more readily recognize when someone's original intention, was to be helpful and informative.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 792,521 times
I don't live in the Dillon area -- I'm in Missoula -- but have been through the area many times. At one point we seriously considered moving there and my husband applied for a transfer, but he didn't get the job. I think it's a really nice small town.

You mentioned your wife is battling cancer. I don't mean to pry, honest, but if you need to be near higher-quality medical facilities, then I'm not sure Dillon would do. Missoula has a cancer center and two good hospitals. But it's ridiculously expensive to live here. If bigger hospitals aren't a need, then Dillon might do. Real estate is still pretty expensive for what you get, though.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Thanks, MontanaGyrl

Thanks for the info. We're looking for a small town like Dillon. We like it, too. They are building a new Barrett Memorial Hospital there. My wife is in remission but subject to infections because her immune system was decimated by 18 chemo treatments. We have figured out a way to keep her doctor by sending her back to GA twice a year for checkups. The infections can be treated locally out of system.

We spent about 3 days in Missoula on our last trip. We liked it, but really are looking for a smaller community. We will definitely return to Missoula after we have settled. We loved the Blue Canyon Restaurant.

I appreciate your not wanting to pry. You exhibit the mannered, helpful attitude that was so attractive to us when we visited.

Good luck to you, also.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,453,186 times
We are currently in Dillon tonight, we always stay at the motel 6 as they allow pets. Every year we make this our stop for the day as everyone we have met over the years has been really friendly.
We ate dinner down in Lima and was very pleased with the townsfolk there as well.
just my 2 cents but if it works for you go for it.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Appreciate the post, rambrush

Good to know about the motel 6 accepting dogs. We have three - 2 Airedales and a Jackadoodle. We didn't bring them on vacation with us, but we will have them when we relocate. We stayed at the Best Western when we were there. We ate dinner at Blacktail Station the first night. Pretty good food after the long drive down from Missoula through the Pioneer Scenic route. We got snowed on in July going past Georgetown Lake.

We don't know if we're going to get an accepted offer before we have to be out of the house here by Jan.1st. We've started looking for a rental house in the Dillon area which was the reason for my first post. If you know anyone in that area that wants to rent a property that can accept 3 dogs and a horse with three humans, point them to me. We're willing to sign a year lease.

We had a lot planned for the visit in Dillon, so I didn't get a chance to talk to as many residents as I wanted. I've been subscribing to the Dillon Sentinel for the past year and I really like the tight community feeling. I miss that from growing up in the midwest plains and I want my family to experience what it's like to be part of a community.

Thanks for your 2 cents. Your willingness to help is worth a lot more than that. God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana