Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:39 PM

6 posts, read 7,732 times

Advertisements

Hi.

My family and I are moving to MT. this Oct. As I just became permanently disabled, we only have my SSI at this time. We are looking for a 3 bdrm home, rent to own preferably, not too far from shopping (Target, Walmart ect.). We have 2 children 9 mos and 3yr. We like to walk at night so it would have to be a safe area. Other than that we like to do the move theater scene. We can only afford $750 a month but really don't want the apartment scene if we can avoid it.
A good medical center or hospital within 20 or so miles would also be good as I will have to have a surgery or two next year. Missoula has been recommended to me but i know nothing about that area as far as low income resources.
Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Missoula is a university town, so the students who are a large block of renters may make prices out of your range.

For medical care, I recommend being near or in Billings. Rental rates for a small house in Billings, I think, would be lower than Missoula and probably more chance of finding one available.

Last edited by happiness is; 08-05-2011 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 AM

213 posts, read 696,724 times
Your chances of finding the type of rental you described in that price range in-town in Missoula is pretty slim. It may be possible in some of the smaller towns within 10-20 miles or so, although rent-to-own properties are hard to find in general. Missoula does have very good medical facilities.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
I would encourage you to understand the distance travel to medical facilities, also the hard winter could be difficult for a disabled person.
Do you have other job abilities?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,732 times
My disability is new but I can do website design and I am looking into finding a "Good" work at home opportunity if there is one out there.

Where else in MT would be a good option for us other than Missoula? "Happiness Is" says around Billings area but I heard that Billings had more drugs and gangs than alot of MT. I could have been told wrong though.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Here is a good thread on Billings
Billings - I'm on the fence...

We are few posters here but we like to help, we share threads to see if that can help you in your search.
Many areas of Montana are not in the high speed loop, maybe that would narrow your search.
Also look at your medical needs as they are quite scattered for services here.
I know it seems frustrating but it is a huge state! Good luck.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius Dark View Post
My disability is new but I can do website design and I am looking into finding a "Good" work at home opportunity if there is one out there.

Where else in MT would be a good option for us other than Missoula? "Happiness Is" says around Billings area but I heard that Billings had more drugs and gangs than alot of MT. I could have been told wrong though.
Did I missed where you are coming from? That would help you understand winter temps and travel.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Some pockets of Missoula neighborhoods might have a lower price and might be acceptable in terms of housing condition and safety but that is a judgment only you could make. It would take careful on the ground search effort and October might not a good time for that after all the students took their choices in the months before. June might better. As for assistance programs, check the government sites and ask about the non-profit programs as well.

If you looked 10-15 miles outside of Missoula you might find a decent balance between home rental price and access to the city around Clinton, or in Frenchtown or west of it.

Billings is a good suggestion. Parts of Great Falls or outside it might work and might be a bit cheaper than Billings.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM

As well as the snow could already be on the ground.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius Dark View Post

Billings drugs and gangs??...no man, this is montana..few wanna be's and pot heads....Try the Flathead area...Kalispell & Columbia Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana