U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,118 times

Advertisements

My husband is a master plumber and we have 2 boys, 12 & 10, in scouting. Looking for good schools, Methodist church, and nice community. Any suggestions Kalispell, Columbia Falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlake View Post
My husband is a master plumber and we have 2 boys, 12 & 10, in scouting. Looking for good schools, Methodist church, and nice community. Any suggestions Kalispell, Columbia Falls?
.......Hey fishlake.........

Welcome to the Monana Forum..........Ist off, please don't be offended by my asking some questions, so that some of us will have a better feel as to what you're looking for in possibly moving to MT besides the very brief items you mentioned: i.e. husband is plumber; boys are scouts; need good schools;a Methodist Church and a "nice" community. (A few week back....I got crucified by asking a new 1st time poster about 10 questions so we has something to workwith, and he got "all hot&bothered" saying I was prying and trying to keep him out of Montana etc,etc,etc.

Anyway, it would help if we knew some of the following and also let us give you some info that you may not know.

1/...Having a trade is certainly a positive, butconsidering the unemployment in the Kalispell/Columbis falls area is realistically up around16%--maybe even higher. New construction is about zero and other projects and or jobs requiring a plumber I'm sure are few and far between..........since the existing men in that field that have been around for a while have the contacts and get first crack at any work that opens up in their respective field---usually by word-of-mouth,.

2/ How about the wife , will she be needing a job also....what are her qualifications?

3 Have you ever been to Montana? Ever been to the Kalispell / ColumbiaFalls area? Aree you familiar with what the weather patterns temps etc can be like in the months from late Oct to may 1st.

4/ Do you intend to rent a place first or buy?

5/ Have you got a decent "cash cushion"to help tide you over for up to sixmonths if you're not successful in getting job(s) right-away?

6/ Will you be having any animals with you: dogs, cats horses etc?

7/ Are you familiar with the basic differences between living in the Billings area for instance vs living in the Missoula area, or Kallispell area. All three have their good and bad points and vary quite a bit.

I'd suggest you do a lotmore investigating and research in some of these areas ...then make a preliminary choice and do your deeper research into that area that seems to be atractive to you based on YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND DESIRES!!

At this point, that's all I can suggest .........BUT, by all means make a couple of visits to areas you think might work out for you.

Good Luck

Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,118 times
Let's see, my husband is also an electrician and jack of all trades. I've been in the business field handling customer service areas in the past but have been working part time as a library clerk for the last 3 years so I could be involved with our boys at school.
Never been to Montana but my husband has an old time friend that lives there. We've lived in Arizona, Illinois, and now Indiana, so we are used to all different weather changes.
No animals.
My husband may come up to investigate and look for a job while we stay in Indiana.
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:58 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Hello, and keep posting
We are few but dedicated posters here, someone will come along. Montana is a huge state, with many different climates and topography.
The area you are looking in is IMO the higher COL area. The eastern side of the state is open prairie, look at my album if you would like. The COL is lower but the population is sparse. Have you considered this area? The oil fields are hiring but housing is a problem.
Look at
Sidney
Glendive
Glasgow

Hey keep the dream alive, most here will try to keep you orientated to reality because it is a harsh place to live but once it is in your blood you want to stay. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,289,153 times
MT-7 is right, check out the eastern side for work. You would probably enjoy the western side more with the kids though. Main thing is to come and see for yourself, especially during the winter. The areas you have been in are mild compared to a tough Montana winter. Scouting seems to be more involved on the western side also. I am a Cubmaster and just got back from Melita Island on Flathead Lake. Incredible!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Here is a thread to look at, you can type in your city into the search that you are interested in and get others.
Compare and contrast Kalispell and Missoula

Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 AM

7,743 posts, read 9,044,025 times
Have you considered southwest Montana? Someplace like Livingston?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
We have been in Billings for three years now, and it seems like a fantastic place to raise a family---very community/church oriented.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM

239 posts, read 610,419 times
There are some good jobs available in Butte and the COL is very low. You may want to live out of town a little as it is a very worn out town. My brother's friend is a pipe fitter working there for $38 per hour with enough work for his lifetime.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Question Thinking of Relocating to MT. Answering Griz's Q's

Let me try to answer those questions asked of fishlake by Montana Griz on 8/12/2011 because doing so is a good idea plus other good questions can be asked and answered.

1/Answer: My trade and my wife's trade are being retired.

2/Answer: She likes to keep busy, real busy. I don't. I like lakes, big trees and bigger mountains. My wife likes music, plays the cello. Would probably try to find other players.

3/ Have you ever been to Montana? Ever been to the Kalispell / ColumbiaFalls area? Aree you familiar with what the weather patterns temps etc can be like in the months from late Oct to may 1st. Answer: Whew, lotsa detail here. Been to Kalispell (don't like what's happened to the city of Coeur d'Alene, ID), a city's a city. Convenience is almost always crowded. Not visited Columbia Falls yet. Traveled to ID, MT and WY for 3 wks. in Aug. 2010. Not my first visit. Love the Flathead Lake area, esp. Woods Bay. Haven't lived a full year in MT but I can see on TWC what the weather is like -- which isn't the same as living in it.

4/ Do you intend to rent a place first or buy? Answer: Renting is a good idea, but if we saw a place we liked, we'd buy it.

5/ Have you got a decent "cash cushion"to help tide you over for up to sixmonths if you're not successful in getting job(s) right-away? Answer: Don't need to work. Did enuf of that. Our cushion better last many years.

6/ Will you be having any animals with you: dogs, cats horses etc? Answer, a dog and a cat. I bet cats don't do well outdoors in MT.

7/ Are you familiar with the basic differences between living in the Billings area for instance vs living in the Missoula area, or Kallispell area. All three have their good and bad points and vary quite a bit. Answer: Not familiar in any deep sense. Not interested in being near a city.

I'd suggest you do a lot more investigating and research in some of these areas ...then make a preliminary choice and do your deeper research into that area that seems to be atractive to you based on YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND DESIRES!! Response: Right. Enthusiasm can carry just so far.

More thoughts: The biggest concern for retirees can be the availability and quality of medical care. I had a good buddy die in a Modesto, CA hospital because he was too sick to be moved to San Francisco or Sacramento. But a fellow retiree of the same age lives in western MT not far from the nat'l park with no concerns. Does the air inversion that's reported to sit over Kalispell during the winter do the same for Flathead Lake? Does the lake cause this? Donner Lake in CA gets such an inversion, has its own cloud when the rest of the Truckee area is sunny.

Long reply. But there's nothing trivial about relocating. More questions?

Last edited by aWriter; 09-09-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Got mixed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana