Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,900 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start a thank you thread to our posters here on the Montana forum, we are a faithful crew though a bit motley. I thought since we are often asked why it takes a bit to get a response to a new post it might be interesting to ask just why do you reply to the many questions about moving to the big sky state?

For me CD became a bit of a life line with my sudden change from a metro way of life to isolation. It gave me a link to get my self orientated. It helped me learn more about the Montana/Western way of life. I have since then wanted to help others. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,158,683 times
We're here because we were rejected by that group what wears motley on a professional basis.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM

So you identify yourself sir as our court jester?
Thanks Rez I always look to your post if I am have a too serious day.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,158,683 times
Hey, it's a dirty job, but somebody's got... waitaminnnut.

When I'm not wearing motley, I'm here because I miss the frostbite and buffalo chips.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
Good question MT-7, hadn't really thought about it myself, so I decided to think it over before answering.

I post on several boards, on some pretty diverse sites, and found this one by accident several years ago.

I enjoyed reading posts from some of the posters at that time like AQHA, Reziac, Rikers, MTLogger, Montana Griz, and of course, 7 of Nine.

There are a good bunch of folks here for the most part, and posting on this board isn't that different from having a conversation with most Montanan's face to face. I really appreciate the decorum of this board and the low tolerance for trolls and others who only come here to pick a fight.

Elkhunter runs a tight ship, which I like, and I also appreciate how the folks here band together when one of us is attacked, or is sick, or is suffering from a fire or flood. There is always support from the regulars to the affected party. It is a kind of strange family, but an accurate example of pretty much any small town in Montana.

Where I work I am very restricted from conversations, viewpoints, or discussing any subject more involved than "did you catch that game last weekend?" ( I don't watch sports on TV so my conversation options are pretty limited). Opinions differing from official doctrine are not appreciated and can hurt your chances of advancement, or in worst case, even employment so you just come in, do your time and go home.

This board during the day is a welcome chance to actually discuss subjects in a manner that generates solutions to problems, helps folks decide on what course of action will be best for them and their family, offers information not available from other sources, and is an outlet to leave the workspace and take a mental hike around the state and relive the stress and tension indemic to my work.
I like being able to tell people about the special place I live, and the very special way of life here in my home. I can also tell some of the nay-sayers where the quickest route to the border is

The faces, (screennames) may change, but the spirit lives on. Just like Montana. We do what we do, live in the best place on earth, support our friends, raise our families, and live our lives sharing a little piece of ourselves with good friends we may never meet or have a face for, but they are part of us nonetheless because we share the same passion for this special place where we live, and the life we share by simply being part of Elkhunter's little motley crew of barbarians from the wildlands far from civilization, and this is just the way we like it.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
A long time ago, I read a quote that really made a lot of sense to me and I've tried to live by it. Not always possible, but usually is. The quote says a lot about folks in the Mountain States where you have to rely on neighbors and neighbors have to rely on you. The quote was by George Eliot and says:

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for others?"

Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Rabbi Hillel (HIL-el; hil-EL) lived in Judea just prior to the 1st century C.E.

"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?"

When a Gentile asked Hillel, "Teach me the Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel replied, "What is hateful to you, do not do unto others. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary." (This has also been translated as, "Do not do unto others what you do not want them to do to you.")

The Hillel organization, a network of on-campus Jewish college student organizations, is named for him.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Such thoughtful answers I also say that my poor computer had to suffer with me learning how to use it. One problem I now realize with this thread is that I cannot rep anyone...

Hope some of our others will answer. I agree completely that EH is a huge factor as to why I read and post. He is our dedicated guardian at the gate.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

233 posts, read 543,626 times
I am not a long-term regular, nor a long term Montana resident.

BUT....folks on this forum provided so much direct and indirect help in our move that I will jump in when I can give some tips based on our relocation experience.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
I am not a long-term regular, nor a long term Montana resident.

BUT....folks on this forum provided so much direct and indirect help in our move that I will jump in when I can give some tips based on our relocation experience.

Hey welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: