U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,565,295 times

Advertisements

Definitely see a powwow. I join in the advice to rent a car, as only the major cities in Montana are on bus routes.

Here is the train route through Glacier National Park, well worth seeing.
Glacier National Park travel guide - Wikitravel

You can take the trip from the East Glacier Park station to the West Glacier Park station and back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM

2,085 posts, read 3,051,385 times
I concur. A Pow Wow should be high on the list to see.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 14,260 times
Just a small update. Accommodation is now sorted. A new friend of mine from another forum has offered me the use of a small tent and some camping gear, so I'll be camping my way through MT, and which will also be loads cheaper than renting a room or a holiday rental or something like it. That money will now go towards renting a small car, so I can get around state. Which would be the best places to set up camp?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM

2,085 posts, read 3,051,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles946 View Post
Just a small update. Accommodation is now sorted. A new friend of mine from another forum has offered me the use of a small tent and some camping gear, so I'll be camping my way through MT, and which will also be loads cheaper than renting a room or a holiday rental or something like it. That money will now go towards renting a small car, so I can get around state. Which would be the best places to set up camp?
Lots of places. I suggest giving a list of areas/towns you are looking at staying overnight in. People can then tell you where to stay close by. For instance if you were going to Havre, MT I'd tell you to stay at Beaver Creek park.
Beaver Creek Park

Around Helena, I'd suggest you check out the Vigilante Campground. Helena National Forest - Vigilante Campground

Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,565,295 times
Here is a page of information on camping in Montana State Parks.
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Camping

There are camping sites also in National Forests in Montana.
Here is a book about camping in Montana that would be helpful.
Camping Montana - Rocky Mountain Map Gallery

Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,259,951 times
Quote:
Am I the only one with little alarm bells going off in my head? I'm an adventurous person, and I'd like for others to take some chances and enjoy life, too, but this sounds like courting danger to me. A young woman camping by herself in (possibly) remote campgrounds without knowing much about the areas or American road/camping culture...Generally, other campers are great people, and certainly that's a given if they're Montanans! But there are predators out there. Coming from the Netherlands you won't be used to the idea of going armed, but at least don't sleep in your tent without a pepper spray and a small knife (both legal here), and be ready to recognize danger, from humans as well as animals. And do buy a bear spray in a sporting goods store. Part of the allure of the American West is that it is as wild as ever in some places. And it isn't that young women are particularly vulnerable or incapable. It's just that some people consider them prey, and you shouldn't be unaware of that if there's only a tent wall between you and the world. If you want to go camping I'd strongly suggest you hook up with a friend to go camping with.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 14,260 times
I know there are a lot of crazy people out there and while I'm not used to camping by myself, I am used to travelling by myself. I'm always on my guard when it comes to things like this and especially at night. And while I won't be camping every night, I am planning to stay in a few hostels as well, but thanks for the tip. I'll get a knife and pepperspray once I get there. It'll be easier and not to mention legal if I buy it there instead of here and then taking it with me on the plane. What are the best places to buy things like that?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,796 times
Quote:
I know there are a lot of crazy people out there and while I'm not used to camping by myself, I am used to travelling by myself. I'm always on my guard when it comes to things like this and especially at night. And while I won't be camping every night, I am planning to stay in a few hostels as well, but thanks for the tip. I'll get a knife and pepperspray once I get there. It'll be easier and not to mention legal if I buy it there instead of here and then taking it with me on the plane. What are the best places to buy things like that?
One of many sources is a Montana Chain of Sporting Goods Stores known as :...."Bob Wards Sporting Goods". They also have some helpful Maps of various areas.

I would also suggest a "good loud Whistle"....keep it around your neck.
Definitely also get the Bear Spray (not Mace) and a Sheath Knife with a 3 or 4 inch blade.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,889,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
One of many sources is a Montana Chain of Sporting Goods Stores known as :...."Bob Wards Sporting Goods". They also have some helpful Maps of various areas.

I would also suggest a "good loud Whistle"....keep it around your neck.
Definitely also get the Bear Spray (not Mace) and a Sheath Knife with a 3 or 4 inch blade.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,365,197 times
Short list of free or very inexpensive camping in Montana. There are many more if you search for them.

Chief Joseph Park - Harlowton, Montana

City owned campground at fairgrounds, large shady pull-through sites, electricity, water. Bathroom but no showers. Playground. Open all year but bathroom closes in winter. Wheatland County Fair $11.00 electric, $9.00 non electric. Pets Allowed, Picnic Shelter, Public Restroom, RV Hookups, Toilets, Trash Removal, Water

Roundup fairgrounds - Roundup, Montana

City park at fairgrounds, lots of shade, next to Musselshell River, spacious sites, quiet, bathrooms, water, no showers or hookups. RV dump in town $5.00. Open all year, but bathroom and water unavailable in winter.

Lewistown Kiwanis Campground - Lewistown, Montana

It has restrooms and ample parking. Water is available at community tap next to restroom.

Itch-Kep-Pe Park - Columbus, Montana

City park next to the River. Two sections about 1/2 mile apart contain about 48 sites, some pull-throughs and space for group tent camping. No hook-ups. Flush and pit toilets, potable water, big cottonwood trees. Boat ramp. Fishing. Golf. Just over 1 mile south of I-90 on Highway 78 40 miles west of Billings. Donations [...]

Voyagers Rest - Worden, Montana

Voyagers Rest Fishing Access is located 1 mile east of Worden on Highway 312, then 1.5 miles north on County Road 18. Voyagers Rest Fishing Access does permit camping. There is a 7 day stay limit. Toilets and access for camp trailers is available. Open all season. Access to Yellowstone River.

Big Creek rd - Columbia Falls, Montana

20 miles north of Columbia Falls, turn right onto Big Creek rd, it is just past big creek campground. drive about 1.5 miles to a right. About 100 yds onto this spur is a wide open area for boondocking. Great for wildlife viewing!!!! No cell service, excellent satellite both TV and internet. Great for exploring [...]

Battle Ridge Campground - Bozeman, Montana

Free camping in the Gallatin National Forest 13 camping sites and one group picnic area in the Bridger Mountains. Largest Parking Spur:12' x 30'. Forest hiking trailhead is closeby. Enjoy scenic driving and wildlife viewing. 6400-foot elevation Operating Days: 180 Total Capacity: 65 Trash Pickup: No Firewood: No Accessible Facilities: None No Reservations: This campground [...]

Lake Fork Road - Red Lodge, Montana
easy access to hiking, 4wd, quads, Yellowstone NE entrance route- beautiful area open area, some shaded free- no services at all s. of redlodge on hwy 10.5 mi, Lake Fork Rd [right],100 ft or so,left across creek ck at NFS ofc so. edge of town for other info

CHISHOLM CAMPGROUND - Bozeman, Montana

Depending on weather conditions, the campground may be open in early May and late September. Located in the Bozeman Ranger District of the Gallatin National Forest, it is 18 miles south of Bozeman, Montana. At 6,700 feet elevation, it is adjacent to the Hyalite Reservoir and the East Fork of Hyalite Creek. All campsites are [...]

Bighorn Canyon National Recreational Area - Lovell, Wyoming

Horseshoe Bend Campground Dry camping is free. Sites with hookups (electric and water) the bargin price of $15. Sites are intermixed. There's no segregation of "haves" and "have nots." Open All Year Uphill from the Horseshoe Bend Marina boat docks Swim beach and picnic area, nestled in sagebrush 48 campsites overlook the lake and the [...]

Lovell City Campground - Lovell, Wyoming

East 2nd Street off 14A and 310. Has a creek. Local deputy lives across the street. Very quiet. Red Apple grocery store 5 blocks away. You can weigh your vehicle for $1 at the grain mill. Liquor store behind Red Apple. On Main Street is a small cinema. UPS at Red Apple. Quaint midwest town [...]

Eagle Creek Campground - Gardiner, Montana

Close to Yellowstone National Park. 2 mi NE of Gardiner on Jardine Rd Access road not suitable for vehicles longer than 48' Gardiner District Office P.O. Box 5; 805 Scott St. Gardiner, MT 59030 (406) 848-7375

Just east of town on Highway 14A. There are two dozen plus sites. Stayed there for five nights in a class A motor- home and enjoyed every minute of it. A beautiful city park. It's a great little park. Town was quite friendly. Even the groundskeeper was nice. Had only planned for a night or [...]

Canyon Ferry Reservoir Facilities - Winston, Montana

Managed by the Bureau of Reclamation, Montana Area Office, Canyon Ferry Field Office, 7700 Canyon Ferry Road, Helena, MT 59602, (406) 475-3921. Located near Helena. This reservoir, with 33,500 surface acres and 96 shoreline miles, offers excellent fishing opportunities for rainbow trout, perch, ling, and walleye, along with great camping and boating (motor and sail) [...]

Coal Banks Landing Campground - Fort Benton, Montana

Located in the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument and is a beautiful dispersed campground that is secluded and quite. This campground over looks the Missouri River and is at an elevation of 2,500 feet. This campground is RV accessible. Fishing, hiking, boating and picnicking are all available here. The host is present from May [...]

Boulder City Park - Boulder, Montana

Location requests donation - Coordinates courtesy of MovinSue Located on Main Street (Hwy 69) at First Street right next to City Hall. Talked to the city clerk and she said one overnight stay is allowed. Currently mid-May, and water is off. 1-Power receptacle (120v 15amp) was available. The RV spots are really in the back [...]

Ennis Fishing Access Site - Ennis, Montana

Has water pump and bathroom. Located on east side of river right after highway bridge on edge of Ennis. Access on right side of road. Small fee. Located 0.5 mile southeast of Ennis on US Highway 287, milepost 48.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or