Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm happy to say that after a brief stay east of the Mississippi, we are in a place to return to Montana! My husband has a job opportunity near Missoula, and since we have been looking for a way to return, I think we will go with that. I have never lived in Missoula, though I did live in Bozeman for about two years. I liked Bozeman just fine, but certainly preferred the wild outdoors of the area to any offerings the town had. I have visited Missoula in the past, and thought it to be a fine town. The main difference I felt was it didn't seem quite as touristy as Bozeman and it wasn't nearly as sunny. I thought the areas within a short drive from Missoula were just as lovely as those close to Bozeman. If we do end up moving to Missoula, I have interest in enrolling in UM's Wildlife Biology Program. Husband is in a similar field.
I suppose what I'm looking for here are opinions comparing Missoula to Bozeman from a person who is in a similar situation as I am - moving essentially from Bozeman to Missoula. What are the pros of being in Missoula compared to Bozeman? Or vice versa? How does the yearly weather compare? What are some of the benefits of living in Missoula, compared to Bozeman (if any).
As for what we are looking for: I'm 28, the husband is 31. We aren't planning on having children for a couple of years, but would like to own a house within the next five years - but out of town. Are there any areas within a reasonable commute to Missoula that might have reasonably priced homes? I realize the cost of living in Missoula and Bozeman is quite high for the wages. We enjoy all things outdoors-related. We are middle of the road as far as politics go, but slightly more conservative leaning. I realize Missoula is very liberal, which is fine with me, I just have my personal beliefs. Though I think we may be better suited to a small town for this reason.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Sorry - I suspect I'm not getting responses because the Missoula vs. Bozeman question is asked frequently - I even asked it a couple years ago. I was just hoping there might be someone with some insight out there now that I've actually experienced living in Bozeman. Thank you!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM

15 posts, read 86,798 times
I spend a lot of time in Msla. I went to school there in the 80's and visit frequently. (i live up north in Whitefish now)
There's a lot of interesting things going on in Msla these days. The downtown area, which was always culturally lively, is sooo full of activity now. The farmer's market has gotten so big they have two of them at the same time now. There's lots of art happenings and interesting shops.

The weather is definitely wetter in Msla than east of the Mtns, and it's cloudy a lot there in the wintertime, but not as solid overcast as it is up here in the Flathead, or in Seattle.

I don't think there are any reasonably priced areas to commute from. Everyone else has the same idea...move out of town a little and commute.

I have also noticed that food prices there are a lot higher than they are in the Flathead.

There are a lot of outdoor places to explore near Msla. Great hiking in the Bitterroot, and up the Rattlesnake. Good fishing nearby. Skiing isn't as good, but Snowbowl isn't the worst place you could go, either.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM

297 posts, read 794,666 times
I'm in Missoula and had family in Bozeman for a while. I think both areas are very, very similar. Mizzoo is more liberal, Bozeman has more sunny days. As far as recreational opportunities, both are treasure troves and you're only limited by the number of hours in a day (and sometimes, $$$). Both are near numerous places to hike, fish, raft, ski, hunt, etc.

As far as housing, the prices in Missoula have not come down much compared to the rest of the country. Not far from Missoula are the bedroom communities of Lolo, Frenchtown, Clinton, etc. and if you look you can find some good deals there. Are you going to find a huge log home on 20 acres for cheap? No, but you can find a decent home with enough room for a couple or a family. There are getting to be a lot of short sales and foreclosures, but you have to search for those. A lot of houses are being listed too high and then they sit and sit on the market and the sellers end up having to drop the price. Best of luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys for the insight. My research continues. In all honesty, anywhere in Montana would be an improvement over my current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana