U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 62,712 times

Advertisements

My husband may be moving us to Billings due to job transfer *fingers crossed*
We live in what barely remains a small town in So CA. The encroaching smog from LA, Santa Clara and the Antelope Valley is beginning take its toll on my sons and I, as we suffer from asthma.

So, how do asthmatics fare in the Billings area?

We have two boys, a second and a sixth grader and are wondering about the schools in Billings and in surrounding areas.

How difficult is home schooling in MT? Are there socialization or co-op groups?

What areas in and around Billings would be good for raising two active boys?
We need a yard with a tree for a tree swing and maybe even a tree house.

What should a family of "green" Californians expect? I'm hoping for big sky and beautiful meteor showers.

I'm guessing swimming pools are rare.

Any and all tips and advise would be welcome.
Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 PM

462 posts, read 1,530,644 times
I can't tell you much about Billings except it is the largest city in Montana with a population of close to 100,000. People in Montana don't tend to think green. It took forever just to get recycle bins placed around town and it's even harder to get people to use them. With a population of less than one million in the entire state and only one congressman, things don't get done very fast.
As for home schooling, I can't really answer that. I do know there are several colonies of Hutterite and Amish people who reside in Montana and they homeschool. It is not uncommon.

Swimming pools??? you mean outside swimming pools???? ha ha ha ha ha there is always the "Y" for swimming and some towns have a token outdoor pool only open in the summer for a few months. No one owns their own unless it's made out of plastic and came from Walmart!

There is an oil refinery there but don't ask why we are paying more for gas than the rest of the country right now...

One thing you will get if you move outside the city is big skies and beautiful stars and meteor showers in August that will blow you away. The Big Horn River is a great fishery as is the Yellowstone. Good luck to you! At least housing costs shouldn't be too bad.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 AM

14 posts, read 62,712 times
Thanks ladyflyfish!

I appreciate the feedback.

Usually the first people to respond to a newbie in a forum, is the friendliest or the resident know-it-all. Either one is fine by me but you seem to fit the friendly category.

Hopefully Montana will choose to start thinking green before they end up like the east or west coast. From the looks of this forum, many folks are looking to move there and they'll be bringing their problems to a new town if they don't change their ways!

Hope this isn't breaking any rules but in the interest of global health, check this out.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/5710966p-5114973c.html (broken link)

I was jesting about the swimming pools.

I have friends that lived in Flathead and I loved visiting them there. I was young and single then, so my priorities were much different.

Can you see the Northern Lights at all from Montana?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,179 times
Dear Greeneyedgirl

We are in the same situation at the moment. My husband's job requires him to move to Billings June 2007.

How are the schools?
What part of the city to live in?
We have home schooled in ID and CA but love WA, in the Vancouver area. We currently go to school two days a week. Are there any such possiblilities in Billings? Any groups?

I am not finding good links on the internet.

Thank you!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 AM

529 posts, read 1,730,966 times
>>> What should a family of "green" Californians expect? <<<

You can expect a warm welcome, and a great deal of patience from many of us.

We already know that you are going to need time to adjust, to the weather, and the way we live here...... so don't worry....

Billings is a fine area, full of a bunch of helpful folks.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,070,023 times
Default Hutterite schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
I can't tell you much about Billings except it is the largest city in Montana with a population of close to 100,000. People in Montana don't tend to think green. It took forever just to get recycle bins placed around town and it's even harder to get people to use them. With a population of less than one million in the entire state and only one congressman, things don't get done very fast.
As for home schooling, I can't really answer that. I do know there are several colonies of Hutterite and Amish people who reside in Montana and they homeschool. It is not uncommon.

Swimming pools??? you mean outside swimming pools???? ha ha ha ha ha there is always the "Y" for swimming and some towns have a token outdoor pool only open in the summer for a few months. No one owns their own unless it's made out of plastic and came from Walmart!

There is an oil refinery there but don't ask why we are paying more for gas than the rest of the country right now...

One thing you will get if you move outside the city is big skies and beautiful stars and meteor showers in August that will blow you away. The Big Horn River is a great fishery as is the Yellowstone. Good luck to you! At least housing costs shouldn't be too bad.
I just wanted to clear up a misconception about the "Hoots". They do not homeschool. They have a schools with certified teachers. I know this as there are several colonies near Great Falls. I used to substitute teach when we lived there. It was always fun to go to the colonies. The kids were great and the food was even better. Had to watch out for the wine though - powerful stuff!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM

106 posts, read 203,863 times
Default Billings info

I grew up in Billings and still have family there--we visit 2 or 3 times a year. If you are looking to live in Billings, the heights or west end are the areas to look at. My sister just moved back and she homeschools her kids. They do attend a local homeschool group and are getting connected with the 4H club there. If you want to live futher out, there are more rural areas. Smog usually isn't a problem, except sometimes you can smell the sugar beet factory or the stock yards. I rarely see issues with the refineries (there are 2 in Billings and 1 in Laurel). I don't know about the asthma--no one in my family has issues.

Let me know if you have specific questions--I might be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or