U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM

351 posts, read 458,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
@quickstudy Hmmm.... even old fashioned women have rights.
When did I suggest they didn't? Here we go jumping to conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Women in Philadelphia and Boston, two of the most progressive cities in the nation, are more old-fashioned than women in Montana? Not sure what planet you've been living on but I bet the drugs are great!
Also, news flash to Planet QuickStudy: It's not just females who are part of the me-generation.
Why the hostility? I have lived in Philly and I've lived in Boston, have you? There are plenty of enclaves of old-fashioned conservative types in both these cities, and the poster has a better chance of finding someone who shares his religious outlook in these two cities than in Montana. Are you going to disagree with that statement?

And whoever said that it was just females who are part of the me-generation? I thought the OP was looking for a woman, not a man. On the other hand, from my own personal experience (which obviously does not encompass everybody) I find women to be more hedonistic and pampering of themselves than men. Of course, there are exceptions.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM

6,748 posts, read 6,138,279 times
I just got back from a trip to these same areas and I saw a lot of attractive 30something women in Billings, although I think Boise or Spokane would be your best options for dating by far.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM

323 posts, read 992,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickStudy178 View Post
Why the hostility? I have lived in Philly and I've lived in Boston, have you? There are plenty of enclaves of old-fashioned conservative types in both these cities, and the poster has a better chance of finding someone who shares his religious outlook in these two cities than in Montana. Are you going to disagree with that statement?

And whoever said that it was just females who are part of the me-generation? I thought the OP was looking for a woman, not a man. On the other hand, from my own personal experience (which obviously does not encompass everybody) I find women to be more hedonistic and pampering of themselves than men. Of course, there are exceptions.
I have not lived in Boston, or Philadelphia. I prefer to stay as far away from the East Coast as possible for various reasons, mostly because I've always felt there's an overpopulation of arrogant *******s there. Though I have traveled to both, and even spent a month in the Boston area taking care of my aunt while she was very ill, so I do have experience with the area.
Regardless, the OP gave no inclination that he is interested in bride shopping on the East Coast.

So, it seems a more relevant question would be: I've lived in Montana. Have you?

No hostility, just seems like some odd statements to make based on the posts by the OP himself. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought your comments came from far left field.
As for your last remark, of course there are exceptions to the rules, but from what I've seen, many men like the results of pampering that women do to themselves. You made the comment earlier about attractiveness and women being well-dressed and how that is appealing to you. 9/10 men polled I bet would opt for women who put effort (read: money) into their hair, skin, nails, dress, make-up, physique, etc. I agree women pamper themselves a lot more. But I think a main reason of this is that men like the way they look when they do ... and hey, we're all just animals here.

Anyway, this thread has taken a silly turn. I'm out. Best of luck to the OP.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
So, it seems a more relevant question would be: I've lived in Montana. Have you?
Yes, I lived in Bozeman. Also went to Missoula a bunch of times to visit my gf's family.

I just don't have a feeling that it's going to be easy for the OP to find what he's looking for in Montana, but I guess it's possible if he wants to spend years looking.

With your brief visits to the evil East Coast where all the "arrogant ********s" live, you probably missed the communities that would cater to what the OP is looking for.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

406 posts, read 1,071,017 times
I was born in Philly when I was a baby, but left when I was 6 months old. So, I have little recollection of the place . Anyway, I don't know enough about Boston or Philly to comment, but I always thought the Northeast was rather new-agey and liberal. Of course, I think I understand what QuickStudy is talking about. In the larger east coast cities, there is more ethnic diversity and a lot of subcultures that exist. For example, there are very religious Orthodox Jewish communities in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This is where many of my family comes from.

Of course, I want to emphasize that being a Netzarim/Messianic Jew I am no longer accepted by my own Jewish people, so finding some religious ethnic Jewish community in the East Coast will not serve me well, as many of them want nothing to do with me. That is a sad situation that I live with and has led me to living a more isolated life.

Anyway, I know there are cultural groups living among the populace in cities like these, but overall I don't have much of a desire to live in the East Coast. It is more expensive, crowded, dirty and has extremes in weather, like hot and humid summers and freezing, snowy/icy winters. Also, it is very flat which will make a mountain man like me cringe. It's true mountains are easier to find than good women and I understand I may have to sacrifice one or the other, but I rather give a place like Montana try before I throw the towel in and move to the flatlands where all the loving, old-fashioned ladies live. LOL

I don't know why, but I really am in love with Montana's beauty and I Felt the small-town folk had a certain charm to them. Yeah, I will be very turned-off to the cooler-than-thou crowd/extreme sports crowd that may lurk in some of these liberal enclaves.

Like I said, I might have to just accept being single for a long time or for life. Personally, I don't want to live in cities like Boise or Spokane and my fear is what if I live in these places and end up not finding a good woman anyway? Then I sacrificed everything for a woman who never existed. At least , if I am all alone in the mountains of Montana I am in a beautiful place. Many celibate monks/priests, even rabbis have found peace in these places. If I am all alone in the city, it is like being in h*ll for me.

I don't know, but maybe I am a bit too old fashioned and traditional for most of the new-age urban chics. I've been to some meetup groups in Portland and met a variety of professional women, but I just don't feel a click. Basically, I find myself having to pretend to be somebody I am not, to make a good impression on them. If they are interested in me, it is because I am putting on act, behaving like the person they want me to be, rather than being the person I want to be. I cannot live 30 years with a woman putting on a show like that.

I don't know, but I felt some of these smaller town girls in Montana were more down-to-earth. You could tell them what is on your mind. You don't have to put up this facade of glamour and superficiality to impress them. Everything is so business like for most of the city girls I meet. Going on a date is like a business meeting. You have to say all the right things and have the proper behavior to be accepted. You can only start being yourself after you known each other for a long time. No wonder so many marriages and relationships end so quickly these days.

The one problem I see about the sweet small town Montanan girls is that most of them are married young or underage and therefore off-limits. I guess if you don't grow up in these small towns it is hard to meet them.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

323 posts, read 992,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
I was born in Philly when I was a baby, but left when I was 6 months old. So, I have little recollection of the place . Anyway, I don't know enough about Boston or Philly to comment, but I always thought the Northeast was rather new-agey and liberal. Of course, I think I understand what QuickStudy is talking about. In the larger east coast cities, there is more ethnic diversity and a lot of subcultures that exist. For example, there are very religious Orthodox Jewish communities in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. This is where many of my family comes from.

Of course, I want to emphasize that being a Netzarim/Messianic Jew I am no longer accepted by my own Jewish people, so finding some religious ethnic Jewish community in the East Coast will not serve me well, as many of them want nothing to do with me. That is a sad situation that I live with and has led me to living a more isolated life.

Anyway, I know there are cultural groups living among the populace in cities like these, but overall I don't have much of a desire to live in the East Coast. It is more expensive, crowded, dirty and has extremes in weather, like hot and humid summers and freezing, snowy/icy winters. Also, it is very flat which will make a mountain man like me cringe. It's true mountains are easier to find than good women and I understand I may have to sacrifice one or the other, but I rather give a place like Montana try before I throw the towel in and move to the flatlands where all the loving, old-fashioned ladies live. LOL

I don't know why, but I really am in love with Montana's beauty and I Felt the small-town folk had a certain charm to them. Yeah, I will be very turned-off to the cooler-than-thou crowd/extreme sports crowd that may lurk in some of these liberal enclaves.

Like I said, I might have to just accept being single for a long time or for life. Personally, I don't want to live in cities like Boise or Spokane and my fear is what if I live in these places and end up not finding a good woman anyway? Then I sacrificed everything for a woman who never existed. At least , if I am all alone in the mountains of Montana I am in a beautiful place. Many celibate monks/priests, even rabbis have found peace in these places. If I am all alone in the city, it is like being in h*ll for me.

I don't know, but maybe I am a bit too old fashioned and traditional for most of the new-age urban chics. I've been to some meetup groups in Portland and met a variety of professional women, but I just don't feel a click. Basically, I find myself having to pretend to be somebody I am not, to make a good impression on them. If they are interested in me, it is because I am putting on act, behaving like the person they want me to be, rather than being the person I want to be. I cannot live 30 years with a woman putting on a show like that.

I don't know, but I felt some of these smaller town girls in Montana were more down-to-earth. You could tell them what is on your mind. You don't have to put up this facade of glamour and superficiality to impress them. Everything is so business like for most of the city girls I meet. Going on a date is like a business meeting. You have to say all the right things and have the proper behavior to be accepted. You can only start being yourself after you known each other for a long time. No wonder so many marriages and relationships end so quickly these days.

The one problem I see about the sweet small town Montanan girls is that most of them are married young or underage and therefore off-limits. I guess if you don't grow up in these small towns it is hard to meet them.
I am a firm believer that if you stay true to yourself and the things you really desire and believe in, you will eventually find a partner who values the same things that you do. If you move to a place where you don't want to be that is said to be easier to meet "good" women, with the whole purpose of finding a wife - that is an awful lot of pressure on you and the women you date. And like you said, you could move to Spokane for five years in search of a future wife and she might not even be there! Many women are attracted to men who follow their dreams, I might add. Good luck to you. It seems like you have a very good heart.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,329,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post

............MysticalDream....................

Regarding someone who may understand your "religious, ethnic, & philosophical" concerns and desires as related to the available women in Montana.....I might suggest you contact a Mr Walter Greenspan who is a frequent contributor on the Montana Forum. He appears to be an intelligent, mature, Orthodox Jew who may understand your "problem" as related to available women (who might understand your religious philosophy) in Montana.

I think Walter lives in the Helena area of Montana.

His most recent post is Post #31.....in the .."Most Jewish Suburb" Thread...... sub-forum of "Long Island".....under the Main Forum of "New York".

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM

38 posts, read 84,657 times
Missoula by far. Bozeman is chock full of beautiful women who all think they're better than you. Incredibly stuck-up, but they use the outdoorsy thing to disguise it. The girls in Bozeman know that dudes want a girl who can ski, and they get hit on so much that they have vastly inflated opinions of themselves.

Girls in Missoula are far more down to earth.

I'm not sure on this, but I imagine Billings would actually be a great place for a guy to be single in Montana. Just a hunch - it's a very unpretentious place and there are a lot of young professionals moving there. Just not a major college.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 PM

7,672 posts, read 8,971,544 times
I would recommend Billings. That is the hub of the state and probably one of the more diverse areas. Bozeman and Missoula are pretty pricey to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana