Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

367 posts, read 696,953 times

Advertisements

I have never heard about apartment complexes not renting to smokers until I started looking into Montana. It will just be a little harder to rent somewere .I do not want to buy a house and my friend isn't gonna quit. Even with that I will not let it stand in my way of moving there. If anyone knows of rentals that allow smoking I would appreciate the info.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmc66 View Post
I have never heard about apartment complexes not renting to smokers until I started looking into Montana. It will just be a little harder to rent somewere .I do not want to buy a house and my friend isn't gonna quit. Even with that I will not let it stand in my way of moving there. If anyone knows of rentals that allow smoking I would appreciate the info.
I've lived all over the United States and have found this in many states.

I have a friend in Billings that lives in a complex that is 3 or 4 buildings. All but one are none smoking and the other building is smoking. It's kind of funny because some of the Non-smoking apartments have smokers in there, but they only smoke out on the patio. They are waiting for a smoking apartment to open up so they can move over to the other building. My friend said, there are also non-smokers living in smoking apartments, just waiting for a non-smoking apartment to open up. So far, the twain shall never meet. haha

In fact, my friend used to be a smoker and lived in the building designated as such. She quit. It took her a year to get into a non-smoking apartment but after quiting, it really did bother her to stay over there.

I would imagine there are several complexes that are set up the same way. Good luck in your seach.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM

213 posts, read 696,858 times
Not sure where you're from, but it's common not only in Montana but throughout the Northwest. This area sort of prides itself in it's healthy lifestyles - clean, fresh air, lots of outdoor activities and physical activity. That's the expectation a lot of people here have, and they don't want to live in homes or apartments that stink like an ashtray.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
Not sure where you're from, but it's common not only in Montana but throughout the Northwest. This area sort of prides itself in it's healthy lifestyles - clean, fresh air, lots of outdoor activities and physical activity. That's the expectation a lot of people here have, and they don't want to live in homes or apartments that stink like an ashtray.
I'm all in favor of these bans, as smokers are one of the lowest forms of life on earth. It is ironic, though, that this region also values freedom to live your life without interference.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM

367 posts, read 696,953 times
Wouldn't meth heads be considered lowest forms of life on earth??????? I don't see how cigarette smoking even compares to that. Or what about deadbeat dads, murderers, theives.........the list goes on. There is way bigger issues than smoking.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Smokers aren't murders?

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 PM

560 posts, read 849,178 times
We had a house built in North Idaho, smoked in it for about five years and then started a no smoking in the house policy about a year before we put it up for sale. When we knew we were going to sell deep cleaned carpets, painted, washed all windows and cupboards and the Realtor said she couldn't smell a thing.

When we moved we rented for a year plus and I wouldn't want a place that was smoked in. Bought a 10 year old home we love and would never consider smoking inside.

Hey - I get lots of my nature sightings while I'm out indulging my bad habit! And my home smells good for company.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 PM

621 posts, read 3,206,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Smoking outside doesn't entirely solve the issue, since it gets into your clothes and thence on other stuff. And to be blunt, I have never met a smoker who doesn't sneak a smoke inside sometimes, unless a nonsmoking spouse is absolutely adamant about it (and throws enough of a fit to enforce it).

Of course, one solution is to buy your own place. Problem solved.
Now you have . I quit smoking last year, but when I did smoke I never smoked in my house, ever. And we had cold winters where I lived. It's pretty ironic, but I HATED the smell of cigarette smoke, still do. I hate how it sticks to everything etc. But I never smoked in my house, and never let anyone else either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I'm all in favor of these bans, as smokers are one of the lowest forms of life on earth. It is ironic, though, that this region also values freedom to live your life without interference.
This is pretty extreme don't you think . I find it hard to classify myself as "one of the lowest forms of life on earth" being that I'm an oncology nurse. So while I'm hugging and wiping the tears of a 17 year old boy asking me "why him", "why does he have to die" maybe you should get off your high horse.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Now you have . I quit smoking last year, but when I did smoke I never smoked in my house, ever. And we had cold winters where I lived. It's pretty ironic, but I HATED the smell of cigarette smoke, still do. I hate how it sticks to everything etc. But I never smoked in my house, and never let anyone else either.

This is pretty extreme don't you think . I find it hard to classify myself as "one of the lowest forms of life on earth" being that I'm an oncology nurse. So while I'm hugging and wiping the tears of a 17 year old boy asking me "why him", "why does he have to die" maybe you should get off your high horse.
Well you did quit. Apparently your work taught you that a slow, painful death from cancer wasn't going to be as much fun as you thought it would be when you started smoking. I have to wonder if patients were really comforted getting a hug from someone who reeked of tobacco, though.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM

189 posts, read 335,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Smokers aren't murders?
Over-dramatize much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana