Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,988,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Butte has such an interesting downtown (I can't believe I forgot that it was called Uptown Butte.) The buildings are neat. I always thought it would be fun to have haunted houses there on Halloween.
I recall a few years ago, I had a client on the 4th floor of one of the old, tall buildings in Uptown Butte. She had the only occupied office on the floor, one of the last occupants of the building, and all the original doors, tiled floors, frosted glass door windows, and even some of the old painted names on the doors still were there intact as I looked down the silent hallways.

As I walked down the staircase, I felt like it was haunted, as the steps were dished and worn from all the many decades of feet that had trod them.

The courthouse in Butte feels the same way. Some even claim the courthouse does have a ghost.

A fun read are the two books on Haunted Montana written recently by a librarian from Billings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,616 times
Almost forgot to include Phillipsburg. yes it has become very touristy but the downtown is sort but has many older fairly tall buildings as well.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 PM

10,232 posts, read 13,740,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
I recall a few years ago, I had a client on the 4th floor of one of the old, tall buildings in Uptown Butte. She had the only occupied office on the floor, one of the last occupants of the building, and all the original doors, tiled floors, frosted glass door windows, and even some of the old painted names on the doors still were there intact as I looked down the silent hallways.

As I walked down the staircase, I felt like it was haunted, as the steps were dished and worn from all the many decades of feet that had trod them.

The courthouse in Butte feels the same way. Some even claim the courthouse does have a ghost.

A fun read are the two books on Haunted Montana written recently by a librarian from Billings.
I remember eating at a Mexican restaraunt (I think it was in Metals Bank) that had bathrooms located upstairs. It was such an eery walk up those stairs. There were several more floors in the building but I don't think any were occupied.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,081,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
One of the things I love about Montana is that most of the towns of any size have what I would consider a "real" downtown. To me, a real downtown is one with older buildings lining a mainstreet, where it's easy to get out and walk from business to business - which consist of everything from shops and cafes to your insurance agent and plummer, and doctor (often with apartments or other offices above) and maybe even a department store or two if the town is big enough to support it.
Yes, this, exactly.

Anyone else remember when the old part of the business district (as described above) was "uptown" and the newer mall-type area was "downtown" ?? That's what we called it when I was growing up in Great Falls. Uptown was the Central Avenue classic business district; downtown was Holiday Village and the mall drag along 10th Ave.South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
How do you get people up to the top of those buildings? Are there elevators in Montana?
Grain elevators, of course. How else would you get there?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,093,343 times
Red Lodge has a cute downtown area.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,132,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
How do you get people up to the top of those buildings? Are there elevators in Montana?
We even have running water! Mama just got us an indoor toilet

Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,132,766 times
Quote:
I remember eating at a Mexican restaraunt (I think it was in Metals Bank) that had bathrooms located upstairs. It was such an eery walk up those stairs. There were several more floors in the building but I don't think any were occupied.

Metals is a sports bar. Please tell me you didn't actually walk up the creepy stairs to The Peking?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 PM

10,232 posts, read 13,740,817 times
I just went up to the restroom. I don't remember a place called Peking.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,081,210 times
Quote:
I just went up to the restroom. I don't remember a place called Peking.
Maybe it was the Peeking

Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,988,657 times
Here is a panoramic view of downtown Billings from wikipedia
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lings_Pano.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana