U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 PM

540 posts, read 690,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
Meaning some tall buildings like 5 or 6 floors or higher not a downtown that is 1 block long.

Thanks!
Billings - built that way to give protection from the wind, especially in winter. Great Falls and Missoula tried to emulate but with lesser success.

All in good fun, and 30 years in Missoula before moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 PM

662 posts, read 938,014 times
I'm ashamed to say that I've never eaten at The Peking in Butte. Just haven't gotten around to it, though I've seen it while walking uptown Butte. Is it a good restaurant? I usually eat at The Uptown Cafe.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM

38 posts, read 84,668 times
Billings for sure, Missoula is several blocks as well. Bozeman's is one street about 8 blocks long. Helena has an urban-ish look but is a very conservative, roll-up the streets at 9 kind of town. Butte has a really cool historic uptown with some amazing architecture, but half the buildings are abandoned and there are some rough characters walking around.

You will find that even in smaller towns, there is a lot going on downtown simply because the isolation demands it. There aren't suburbs or major commercial districts close by in many cases, so the small towns have to provide their own commerce.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM

297 posts, read 666,918 times
One of the nice things about most Montana downtowns is that there AREN'T a lot of tall buildings that block the views. When I visit Spokane and go to the downtown area, I feel like I've been buried in a dark tomb of concrete. **shudder**

Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,579,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
One of the nice things about most Montana downtowns is that there AREN'T a lot of tall buildings that block the views. When I visit Spokane and go to the downtown area, I feel like I've been buried in a dark tomb of concrete. **shudder**
Funny you should mention that... a while back I wrote something where I dumped my main character in downtown Denver, and that was one of the things he hated about it.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,579,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Billings - built that way to give protection from the wind, especially in winter. Great Falls and Missoula tried to emulate but with lesser success.
And here I thought downtown Great Falls was designed as a wind tunnel

Maybe that's why the Civic Center is where it is... a windblock for Central Avenue.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM

8,948 posts, read 8,061,660 times
In Montana, the size of the downtown is controlled by the size of the town. Billings, is the main shopping business hub for the largest draw area in the United States. Billings is the major medical center for 4 states and part of Canada. The two medical system, owns 1 helicopter and 3 multi engine airplanes, to use to move critical patients. The helicopter goes only 150 miles from Billings and the planes take over for longer hauls bringing in patients to this major medical system from a lot of small hospitals, and emergencies throughout the 4 states and southern Canada. They are constantly adding a major addition to the hospitals covering about any specialty you can think of.

Downtown Billings is getting better and better all the time, with rarely a vacant building unless it is being renovated. They are constantly building more shopping centers, to handle the demand. They are not closing shopping centers as in much of the country but building new ones. Only once in a while, do you see a major store closing and that is when they are part of a chain that is going out of business.

Billings has about a 5% unemployment rate, which is much less than the national rate. Homes are not depreciating here, and are still selling for what they did 5 years ago or higher, with estimates while much of the country will see price declines over the next 2 years to appreciate about 10% here. Our home is a 3700 square foot custom 4 level contemporary (no basement) on 5 rail fenced acres with metal barn and stables, across the street from city limits. It cost $300,000 just 5 years ago, and is estimated to be worth $340,000 today a good example of our market. Put this in the Silicon Valley of California where we used to live, and it would be about $1,500,000 to $2,000,000 or higher depending on where it was located in the valley.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,201,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtracks View Post
Billings for sure, Missoula is several blocks as well. Bozeman's is one street about 8 blocks long. Helena has an urban-ish look but is a very conservative, roll-up the streets at 9 kind of town. Butte has a really cool historic uptown with some amazing architecture, but half the buildings are abandoned and there are some rough characters walking around.

You will find that even in smaller towns, there is a lot going on downtown simply because the isolation demands it. There aren't suburbs or major commercial districts close by in many cases, so the small towns have to provide their own commerce.
Billings for sure if you are talking a few tall buildings, but it is deserted compared to Bozeman's DT. One way to measure a downtown's vibrancy is to try and find parking-easy in Billings, hard in Bozeman.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM

178 posts, read 342,561 times
i was in billings recently and i thought they added some brilliant new additions and were cleaning the town up.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 PM

178 posts, read 342,561 times
especially with that street cover sculpture....makes for a denser feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or