U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,454,430 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have sold our home in Alaska, living now in our off-the-grid solar cabin in the mountains of NM which we have had for 20 years. We are retired yet very active, but know we can't chop wood & haul water forever LOL.

We have always loved the Glacier area of Montana and just returned from another trip up there- specifically Whitefish- for a retirement spot.

We love turn-of-the-century 20's, 30's, 40's cottages. We are used to intense winters in Alaska and love snow. In fact, we are drawn to Whitefish since we are skate skiers as well as telemark & downhill skiers and Whitefish has groomed skate ski trails via the nordic club on the golf course as well as Big Mt.

We are looking to C_D for a variety of folks' impressions of the town of Whitefish.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,432,475 times
When visiting White Fish remember to bring onion rolls or onion board and Greek salad. May be some Schav, too.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,566,438 times
Whitefish is in a beautiful spot. Being so close to Glacier Park is a plus, and it sounds like it has all the ski trails you would enjoy.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
When visiting White Fish remember to bring onion rolls or onion board and Greek salad. May be some Schav, too.
LOL! I certainly set the proverbial table for that one!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Whitefish is in a beautiful spot. Being so close to Glacier Park is a plus, and it sounds like it has all the ski trails you would enjoy.
Hmmmm Glacier! Good point. I spent my summers in Alaska backpacking & hiking with the bears so I can transfer my bear awareness there.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 AM

213 posts, read 596,757 times
Whitefish is beautiful, and definitely has the skiing and proximity to all things outdoors. It's also very close to Kalispell, which will have any amenities you could need.

Whitefish is also one of the most touristy and expensive places in Montana. Very, very different from the off-the-grid living you're doing today. :-)

There are a number of smaller communities in the area that don't have quite the resort feeling (or price tag), but where you are still close to skiing and can still have all the modern conveniences. Hungry Horse comes to mind as one example.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
Whitefish is beautiful, and definitely has the skiing and proximity to all things outdoors. It's also very close to Kalispell, which will have any amenities you could need.

Whitefish is also one of the most touristy and expensive places in Montana. Very, very different from the off-the-grid living you're doing today. :-)

There are a number of smaller communities in the area that don't have quite the resort feeling (or price tag), but where you are still close to skiing and can still have all the modern conveniences. Hungry Horse comes to mind as one example.
Hmmm... good info from another bongo!

Thanks for the Hungry Horse tip! Another place to investigate. Our issue is the need for groomed skate ski trails- not easy to find in the small towns we prefer.

Is the golf in Whitefish a tourist attraction in summer or mainly just the proximity to Glacier?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Whitefish gets tourists because it is beautiful (not a bad reason LOL) and close to skiing in the winter and a national park for the summer. Glacier is the reason for summer tourists.

I don't think Whitefish has been ruined by the tourist traffic, but it certainly has some higher local prices because of it.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 AM

I notice how helpful you are on the Mtforums, happiness, & I thank you for the help for us.

I am presently digesting this ancient thread re WF:
Schools in Whitefish?

The plot thickens LOL. C-D is great for varying views, eh? My AK & NM forums display that too, as do, I'm sure, all C-D forums.

I'm concerned about the WF weather- I'll have to research cloudy days/no sun/ & temp in the winter. 12 yrs of Alaska dark & cold winters were hard on my ol' man's raynaud hands & feet when he was telemark or skate skiing. We have boxes of gloves that didn't work. He also reacted to the lack of sun due to shorter days, so lack of sun due to cloudy days are of concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Whitefish gets tourists because it is beautiful (not a bad reason LOL) and close to skiing in the winter and a national park for the summer. Glacier is the reason for summer tourists.

I don't think Whitefish has been ruined by the tourist traffic, but it certainly has some higher local prices because of it.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Well, I was born and raised in Montana and although I've traveled a lot and considered moving to other places, I've stayed in Montana because it is home and I love it.

I used to own 40 acres near Thompson Falls, from the early 80's to the mid 90's, considered moving there, lived on the land one summer, and eventually sold it because I found a job in Bozeman as an art director, and just could not find anything near T Falls as far as a career.

In reading that old thread, I can agree that the northwest part of the state is more humid and cloudier than the state east of the mountains, but it is not as humid as the Pacific coast areas.

Remember that you would be farther south than you were in Alaska, so the days won't get so short in the winter. There is a chart of sunrise and sunset times here:

WHITEFISH, Montana, USA: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

Whitefish is not a town that jumps to my mind for the subject of crime, drugs or "juvenile delinquents". Not having much to do for teenagers is a common complaint for all small towns.

Since you are retired, you won't be worried about raising kids there! ;-)

I've always thought Glacier Park and the area around it, from Seeley Lake up to Canada, and west to northern Idaho, is the jewel of the state, with awesome beauty.

You could rent for a year in Whitefish before deciding on a permanent move. That's a good plan no matter where one moves, as it is important to be "fully informed" before making a big decision, and living in a place is the only way to really know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana