U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 AM

5 posts, read 6,915 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I'm moving to Billings... Like next week. (I truly hate moving advice...'check it out a few months before you move'?? Who has time? My job is random, I can't move then just find a job in my field, I have to find the job then move.)
I've been to Billings a few times lately.
And my bank... Has no branches there. I'm OK with this because they're that nice bank that wants to start charging for something I use that is currently something I get rewarded for.

So tell me. What bank or credit union in the area do you like? And maybe a but of why too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,428,530 times
Yellowstone, Stockman, Western Security come to mind. No nickel and dime stuff with any of those.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,596,438 times
I like US Bank, because there are branches everywhere, same as Wells Fargo.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:05 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,564,470 times
I like the fact that US Bank, the branch in Bozeman, never sold my mortgage when I refinanced. Every other bank (and they were local banks, too) immediately sold my mortgages over and over.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 8,947,264 times
I truly hate moving advice...'check it out a few months before you move'?? Who has time? My job is random, I can't move then just find a job in my field, I have to find the job then move.

I really hate that advice too. How many people can actually do that? I tell people to visit during summer and winter to get a feel for an area. But to answer your original question, I would go with First Interstate Bank. I have never had any complaints about them and have banked with them for six years now. They are located all over Montana (and Wyoming) so you will be able to find ATMs in quite a few areas. Their headquarters actually happen to be located in Billings.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,350,871 times
In this day and age two things come to mind. 1) doesn't matter of your bank has branches everywhere as long as it has a branch that is local, has the hours, available that you need to bank, i.e. Saturday, open til 6, etc.... 2) with an ATM/Debit card, why would you need to visit the bank or a branch office at all? You don't even need to carry cash anymore. If you do need a little cash, just get cash back during another purchase. Almost anywhere will give you cash back now and there are no ATM fees for that.

30 years ago a person was loyal to a particular bank because they wanted to keep their money local, create jobs local, know the people that worked there so everybody was friendly, they carried your morgage on your home, etc.

But most banks don't even carry the morgage anymore. They may make the loan, they may take your payments, they may be your point of contact, but chances are they don't carry the note. Somebody else does.

The last time I hunted a bank I looked for one that had better hours then the others. They offered free checking and other details with the account. The bigger chains didn't offer free checking, nor did they stay open for the working man. They didn't have to, they are a big chain, they don't even have to know who you are or anything about you. You are a number. At least the smaller banks were still wanting customers and were truely friendly. When i walk into my bank, they call me by name. How many here can say that? When I park outside and walk in, they give me a dog biscuit because they know my dog is out in the truck and they ask how she's doing.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 10-31-2011 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,564,470 times
Don't forget about credit unions. Check them out for your banking.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,292 posts, read 3,325,335 times
Default ....which bank should you choose???

just a few thoughts and opinions re why a person might choose a particular bank when they move to a new state or area within a state.........

As EH has stated, there are advantages to choosing a "local" bank (if obviously, it has a long and successful track record; it has hours of operation that mesh with your life-style; it is a "full-service-bank" and provides several "free" services that make it competitive with all the other banks that you can pick from.

When I moved to MT from another state 33 years ago, I choose to go with a "local" bank that was: privately owned and was located just a few miles from my home....and was "founded & started business" in 1907!!!!.........As of today, it is still "privately owned" and have (in the last 25 years) expanded to a total of (7) locations in two adjacent counties and are still "privately owned". That fact alone means a lot to me: (no out-of-state money or influence will ever effect how this "family owned (7) banks" is operated. Being called by name when you walk in the door means a lot; to be extended small, little favors (that are not covered in the "Policy Manual") are certainly nice: i.e. come in without your safety deposit box key (because you forgot it)--no problem; have all the window tellers know that your dog is always in the back of the SUV and call out to him by name when they send out the "dog Treat" for him. Free photo copies and notary services, free checking services and several other minor but important services that are in many cases not offered by other banks in the area....................These are the "things" that one ought to consider (when choosing s bank--IMHO).

And the "one instance "that tops 'em all": .....about 20 years ago I came across a "private-sale" piano: it was about 5 p.m. on a Friday afternoon and the owner indicated it had to be a "cash" transaction" and had to be consumated in approx the next 30 minutes. I called the bank, explained that I needed a certain amount of cash within the next 30 minutes. (explained indetail about this piano I had promised my wife etc etc). Was told to come right over and pick up the money (several thousand dollars), .........and because of it being so late in the day,.....All we'd do on this late Friday afternoon was have me sign an acknowledgement that I received $5000. .......all the other paper work for the loan: Term; rate; payback schedule etc,etc,etc......would be worked out the following Monday morning around 10 am.

I hot-footed it over to the bank....got my $5000 cash; went back to the seller; got a detailed Bill of Sale....loaded the Piano in the P.U. and was on my way............Now , could such a set of circumstances be handled to everyone's satisification (in a half hours time on late Friday).. if this were a "branch' of a National Bank Chain whose headquarters were in say San Diego or Baltimore.........?????

I've been with this firm for over 30 years and have never had a single error or banking problem with: checking; savings; loans; Cd(s); conversion of construction loans to conventional Mortgages etc,etc. always "smooth as glass". Admitedly, I have had all my banking needs handled by this one location of the current (7) banks)....it happens to be the first and original location here in the valley. Great people, great service, and "NO-BIG-CITY type attitude in any of their transactions. A real pleaseue to deal with people of 'This quality and home-town integretary".

Just my humble opinions......

Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,596,438 times
WeLl, I often have to juggle money, I ogten help out my Mom if she runs short at the end of the month. But, when she gets her SS check, she can pay me back with a direct deposit of cash in my account, at my bank in her town. So, for some people, you do need to have a local bank that is located in places nationwide. Same with my kids. I can put cash in their accounts here, and they can access it the same day, in Texas.

I guess it all depends on your needs.

One nice thing, I was short the other day, my bank actually called me, when was the last time that happened? No problem, my son put cash that he owed me that day, in Nevada, I did not have any charges.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,567,152 times
A solution for money-juggling outside your regular local bank might be to keep a minimal account at one of the national chains, somewhere that you can do money transfers (even if you have to use an intermediary like Paypal) -- this works well enough if you don't mind the 3 or 4 day lag on the money being available. (Funny how now they ding your account instantly, but you still don't get paid in a timely manner. Banks sure do have the regs all their own way.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or